Question About a Friend

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
GodGamesGirls
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes

Question About a Friend

Post by GodGamesGirls »

So I attend a church youth group and I have met some wonderful people. One of them, is openly gay. He is a very spiritual person, more spiritual than I will ever be and I've recently asked myself, will he go to Heaven? Thoughts?
Gman
Old School
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Question About a Friend

Post by Gman »

GodGamesGirls wrote:So I attend a church youth group and I have met some wonderful people. One of them, is openly gay. He is a very spiritual person, more spiritual than I will ever be and I've recently asked myself, will he go to Heaven? Thoughts?
Only God has the last word on this.. From that we would not ultimately know. But I would say that the cards are stacked up against him.. 1 Corinthians 6:9.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

What has he done with Jesus Christ?

Is your friend gay in the sense that he openly admits he is attracted to the same sex, or gay in the sense that he is actively engaged in gay relationships?

God has saved murderers, fornicators, adulterers, liars, idolators, blasphemers, thieves etc. There's nothing any more or less heinous about homosexuality than any other sinful actions on the part of men. Jesus loves drunkards, prostitutes and tax collectors and spent a lot of time with them in his earthly ministry, seeming to actually prefer their company over the religious community. He didn't condone their sin, but they being sinners who knew they were sinners received his message of love much more readily

I don't happen to think that having a homosexual orientation is necessarily a sin. Not everyone is destined for marriage or parenthood. There's nothing the object of lust in the mind or in action is not any better or worse in one sense for it being someone of the same sex. Having an orientation and not acting upon it is not necessarily sin. I think there very likely are psychological, physical and environmental reasons that someone may have an attraction to the same sex and not necessarily be based upon a choice by that person. What is choice however is what is done with that attraction and if it is acted out upon. In God's eyes though I would dare say there's no greater "sin" in adultery or fornication among heterosexuals than homosexuals. Sin is sin is sin, and we miss a great deal when we attempt to make ourselves feel better about ourselves by imaging that other's sin is worse than our own. There's nothing wrong with singleness whether the person is hetero or with an attraction to the same sex. We somehow imagine that sexually acting our is a need in our lives. It's a powerful drive and it's honorably expressed in marriage, but there's nothing that says anyone has to be attracted to the same sex or marry to live an honorably life. Celebate singleness is an acceptable lifestyle for anyone, regardless of their orientation.

I also don't know what you mean by "spiritual". Being spiritual is not the same thing as a relationship with Jesus Christ although there are spiritual aspects to it. Havinf spiritual interests and speaking of spiritual things is not necessarily the same thing as a genuine relationship with Jesus Christ.

I don't know if this helps, but it's what comes to mind with what you're asking and the few facts you provide. Being gay or not being gay is not what will determine heaven as a destination for any of us. What we do with Jesus Christ and that alone is all the hope any of us have for heaven.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by BavarianWheels »

Gman wrote:
GodGamesGirls wrote:So I attend a church youth group and I have met some wonderful people. One of them, is openly gay. He is a very spiritual person, more spiritual than I will ever be and I've recently asked myself, will he go to Heaven? Thoughts?
Only God has the last word on this.. From that we would not ultimately know. But I would say that the cards are stacked up against him.. 1 Corinthians 6:9.
I disagree. A homosexual that openly thumbs his nose at God saying that to be a homosexual is ok because God made him/her like this and so he/she will live according to that falls in the 1 Cor. 6:9 category. (sigh...a run-on sentence)

However since homosexuality is no more a sin than stealing a penny, I believe penetant homosexuals will definitely be in heaven. Afterall, he/she is a sinner first and may fall back as a homosexual, yet realize their sin and repent sincerely. It's a difficult line to travel, yet it can be walked in truth. We all have our sin which is our "favorite" and we continually fall into it. What's the difference if homosexuality is that sin?
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Gman wrote:
That may be so...

21But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, 23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. (Romans 3:21-24)

15What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means! 16Don't you know that when you offer yourselves to someone to obey him as slaves, you are slaves to the one whom you obey—whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness? 17But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you wholeheartedly obeyed the form of teaching to which you were entrusted. 18You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. (Romans 6:15-17) -- slaves to righteousness from God which comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe.

If he believes in Christ, then he is saved. However, I would question his being "very spiritual" if he openly endorses homosexuality as alright. Certainly, if he admits he prefers people of the same sex, and wrestles with those desires, he could be very spiritual.