A subject some may feel uncomfortable with.

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Dan
Valued Member
Christian: No

A subject some may feel uncomfortable with.

Post by Dan »

The subject is masturbation.

Is it a sin in of itself?

The Bible says nothing explicit about it. There is that story in Genesis about Onan and how he disobeyed God. But that isn't masturbation being the sin, that is the act being used as a means of sinning, the sin being greed. Onan didn't want his dead brother's wife to have children because they would have the inheritance and not Onan himself. This doesn't make it a sin, just the vessel of sin.

Masturbation is self-induced ejaculation.

Leviticus 15:16-18

So, you are unclean until evening after bathing, even if it is with your wife. Is masturbation a sin, unless you make big inferences, it isn't.

But what about the fantasies associated with the act? Yes those are sinful, because they involve lust after a member of the opposite sex. Adultery starts in the heart, if the object of the act isn't the spouse of the person doing the act, it's adultery.

So, what are your thoughts? I'm not sure on this subject myself and I want everyones opinions, there are plenty of better Christians here to discuss this with. It's a pretty iffy subject too, one that doesn't come up because people are embarassed to discuss it. Let's bring this out in the open for any lost teenager who needs guidance.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

I don't know, but I do know that if Clinton had taken note of this, he wouldn't have been caught...it was on the dress!
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Cheating Innocence

Post by kateliz »

Shouldn't it be considered cheating on innocence itself? Even if you don't have an adulterous heart, aren't you still damaging your innocence? Won't it affect the brand-newness of sex for your honey moon? I'm not positive on this either, but these things I've mentioned make sense to me. Based on them it would make sense for it to be a sin.
j316
Established Member

Post by j316 »

Since sin is basically just shutting out God, making fellowship with Him impossible, then masturbation would certainly qualify as sin. Unless you like an audience it is essentially a private act.
Actually that brings up an interesting point, do we have any private time where God is concerned?

I think of it not so much as a sin as an error, you have an incorrect perception of yourself and your role in life.
Once4all
Familiar Member

One online study of the subject

Post by Once4all »

I'm not advocating this website in general. Some stuff is a little weird. Nor am I implying agreement or disagreement with the article. However, they do have a biblical study on the subject:

http://www.atruechurch.info/home.html

Scroll down the left side to the "Controversy" area and there you will find it.

Once4all
voicingmaster
Established Member

Post by voicingmaster »

j316 wrote:Since sin is basically just shutting out God, making fellowship with Him impossible, then masturbation would certainly qualify as sin. Unless you like an audience it is essentially a private act.
Actually that brings up an interesting point, do we have any private time where God is concerned?

I think of it not so much as a sin as an error, you have an incorrect perception of yourself and your role in life.
Having sex with your wife would be a private act, as is going to the bathroom. Are these sins as well?
j316
Established Member

Post by j316 »

voicingmaster wrote:
j316 wrote:Since sin is basically just shutting out God, making fellowship with Him impossible, then masturbation would certainly qualify as sin. Unless you like an audience it is essentially a private act.

Having sex with your wife would be a private act, as is going to the bathroom. Are these sins as well?
Well I guess whether or not these things are sins would depend on where the limits of our personal lives lie. Actually God pretty much commanded you to make love to your wife, and I'm sure He understands the nature of potty breaks. But did He did make your reproductive organ for sex within His guidelines or does He not care if you decide to seize it for your private purposes?

I feel that he didn't intend some of the uses we have found for them and that makes it a sin.
voicingmaster
Established Member

Post by voicingmaster »

j316 wrote:
voicingmaster wrote:

Well I guess whether or not these things are sins would depend on where the limits of our personal lives lie. Actually God pretty much commanded you to make love to your wife, and I'm sure He understands the nature of potty breaks. But did He did make your reproductive organ for sex within His guidelines or does He not care if you decide to seize it for your private purposes?

I feel that he didn't intend some of the uses we have found for them and that makes it a sin.
Actually in Levicitus, it is mentioned as an appropiate way of getting off. It states that whoever produces semen on his own shall bathe in water to become clean, and he will be unclean until nightfall, and the same thing goes for with a woman. If a man were to eject semen into a woman, then they both shall bathe and then they will both be unclean until nightfall.

Ergo, masturbation is no worse than doing it with your wife. And we don't exactly follow the cleanseness rules of Levicitus anymore, b/c all was made clean through Christ.

And if you don't believe me :

http://bible.gospelcom.net/passage/?boo ... text=verse

http://bible.gospelcom.net/passage/?boo ... text=verse
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Re: One online study of the subject

Post by Believer »

Once4all wrote:I'm not advocating this website in general. Some stuff is a little weird. Nor am I implying agreement or disagreement with the article. However, they do have a biblical study on the subject:

http://www.atruechurch.info/home.html

Scroll down the left side to the "Controversy" area and there you will find it.

Once4all
This website sums it up for me, it's hard as hell to get into heaven!
XenonII
Established Member

Self Abusing Adultury

Post by XenonII »

Definitely a sin because it involves lust. It is also self abuse and wasteful. Although a difficult thing to overcome, as it requires a huge amount of effort, through Christ Jesus all things are possible and it can be overcome. :)
ochotseat

Re: A subject some may feel uncomfortable with.

Post by ochotseat »

Dan wrote: But what about the fantasies associated with the act? .
What if you don't fantasize about anything or you fantasize about nonsexual things while you do it?

If masturbation is a sin, we're all guilty of it! :oops:
marys_little_one
Acquainted Member

Post by marys_little_one »

Masturbation IS morally wrong. The Catechism of the Catholic Church says:
2352 "By masturbation is to be understood the deliberate stimulation of the genital organs in order to derive sexual pleasure. "Both the Magisterium of the Church, in the course of a constant tradition, and the moral sense of the faithful have been in no doubt and have firmly maintained that masturbation is an intrinsically and gravely disordered action."137 "The deliberate use of the sexual faculty, for whatever reason, outside of marriage is essentially contrary to its purpose." For here sexual pleasure is sought outside of "the sexual relationship which is demanded by the moral order and in which the total meaning of mutual self-giving and human procreation in the context of true love is achieved."138 "

IT IS WRONG BECAUSE IT BASICALLY SEX WITH YOURSELF. IN OTHER WORDS....A PERSON IS NOT OPEN TO LIFE!!

IT IS BEING SELFISH AND TAKING ADVANTAGE OF YOUR POWER TO CREATE LIFE................AND JUST ON A SIDE NOTE........NOT EVERYONE DOES IT!!!!!!!!!
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

marys_little_one wrote:Masturbation IS morally wrong. The Catechism of the Catholic Church says:
2352 "By masturbation is to be understood the deliberate stimulation of the genital organs in order to derive sexual pleasure. "Both the Magisterium of the Church, in the course of a constant tradition, and the moral sense of the faithful have been in no doubt and have firmly maintained that masturbation is an intrinsically and gravely disordered action."137 "The deliberate use of the sexual faculty, for whatever reason, outside of marriage is essentially contrary to its purpose." For here sexual pleasure is sought outside of "the sexual relationship which is demanded by the moral order and in which the total meaning of mutual self-giving and human procreation in the context of true love is achieved."138 "

IT IS WRONG BECAUSE IT BASICALLY SEX WITH YOURSELF. IN OTHER WORDS....A PERSON IS NOT OPEN TO LIFE!!

IT IS BEING SELFISH AND TAKING ADVANTAGE OF YOUR POWER TO CREATE LIFE................AND JUST ON A SIDE NOTE........NOT EVERYONE DOES IT!!!!!!!!!
Not that I disagree Completely but since People are not of the Catholic Faith do you mind putting some Scriptures with your Thoughts.

Thanks
Jay_7
Established Member

Post by Jay_7 »

Oh no, ive never known it was a sin :x

So is it wrong? :oops:
SUGAAAAA
Established Member

Post by SUGAAAAA »

Well Jesus said that if you lust after another women, you have commited adultery in your heart, but didnt that apply to married men lusting after woman (not including their wife)?
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.