When Did You Last Lead Someone to the Lord

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.

When did you last lead someone to the Lord?

Today
No votes
Yesterday
No votes
Last Week
14%
Last Month
14%
Last Year
14%
More than a Year Ago
No votes
More than 10 Years Ago
14%
I Never Personally Have Led a Person to the Lord
43%

Total votes: 7

ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

When Did You Last Lead Someone to the Lord

Post by ageofknowledge »

No shame. It's OK to say you never have if you never have. It's not a contest so just be honest. We all witness but most people I talk to have never led someone to the Lord or it doesn't happen very often.
TallMan
Established Member

Re: When Did You Last Lead Someone to the Lord

Post by TallMan »

Of course "lead someone to the Lord" is one of many phrases that preachers have come up with, and what one says it means will differ from what another says.

God is a Spirit and if any man has not the Spirit of Christ dwelling within he doesn't yet belong to him (John 4:23-24, Romans 8:9).
So I would say a person hasn't truly come to The Lord until they have received that, just like all the disciples did at Pentecost (Acts 2:4, 33, 39).
They should also identily with his death for them by being baptised.

It's actually been a while since someone I met did those things as a result of me telling them, but hardly a week goes by when someone doesn't come to The Lord in that sense in our church, so God is adding to his church and my happiness doesn't depend on how many people he brings to himself through me.
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by ageofknowledge »

I'm sure there are many definitions and you can discuss them here; however, for the purpose of the poll let leading someone to the Lord simply mean working with them to see them come to a place where they admit they are a sinner and ask Jesus to forgive them and become become the Lord of their life.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

ageofknowledge wrote:No shame. It's OK to say you never have if you never have. It's not a contest so just be honest. We all witness but most people I talk to have never led someone to the Lord or it doesn't happen very often.
I voted at least last week but again through the prox of my book as well as U-tube maybe more...daily or weekly-Lord only knows. I'll be preaching next week at a local Church as well...

Last several weeks, a friend of mine we meet at local eateries and witness there. Two waitress's and whoever else was around to hear last week. Sometimes I go to coffee shops and witness when the door opens - like today. I am at a local coffee shop now and not too many people around but I'll see if any more come by and what God wills today.

Many Christains would like to know how to witness and share thier faith - lead others to Christ. The important thing to remember is this: The Lord leads those around you to himself.

It is not you that lead others to Christ but rather how Christ uses a person to lead others to himself.

There are season of harvest as well. Sow, plant, and reaping principles fit in here. We must remember that the Lord may use you and I to sow and plant seeds that will, in the future lead others to Christ in ways we cannot precieve - then someone else brings them in (harvest). As Christians, we are part of a team, sadly that team concept is often ignored and we have people who like to hog the show. Remember: one plants and another reaps.

The tesimony of your life and what Christ has done and changed you speaks volumes. Share that... often and be not afriad.

Speak the words of truth with boldness...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by ageofknowledge »

Well stated B.W.. I'm just trying to keep it simple and give people a chance to think about if they are even sharing and if so how much. The benchmark of sharing with people to the point where some make a decision for Christ is a well accepted benchmark in Christiandom so we use it here.

That said, you are very much the evanglist and apologist B.W. and we respect, love, and value both you and your ministry. I've learned a great deal from your experiences. Thank you for sharing them with me.

I had a chance to share some of the principles learned through your experiences last week with a Roman Catholic woman who believed she could be sexually immoral, go to purgatory, and be prayed out by her children. That's sowing. I did move to make the invitation but she wasn't grasping much of what I was sharing with her. Mostly just agreeing and nodding her head. She was a very confused, very scared, and very lost woman. I never name you personally. I just share what I have learned through your ministry. God will name you personally when he separates you on his right hand. God bless. :D
Ngakunui
Established Member

Post by Ngakunui »

Disregarding myself, I never have. I was close once- very close. But I got into an argument over something unimportant with him, and didn't converse with him for well over a month. Then he decided to talk with me again. I've had the same thing happen before a few times, but never with that at stake. It seems socializing is not something I excel at.

Maybe I'm helping somehow? I really prefer to speak with Christians about things that are important for them, like in Bible study. To be honest, if I've done any good in that respect, it's by reflecting on what I know. I haven't "converted anyone" because it's not something I can do.

If I really wanted to I could lie and make up things like so many preachers now do, but I'm not going to. That's completely wrong and it's hypocritical to act such a way.
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by ageofknowledge »

You bring up a good point. Not many Christians are trained to share their faith in a way that yields desirable results for the other person: like salvation. Winning arguments does not necessarily equate to leading people to Christ. Spirituality and hearts are involved.
Last edited by ageofknowledge on Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

I couldn't even begin to answer.

On an average week I might work with 100 children ranging from K-6. I am preaching, teaching and discipling. I really don't focus on decisions, although many children have professed Christ and have been baptized in my eight years of childrens ministry.
I always think the measure of salvation is how someone is continuing in the faith. Not because they repeat a prayer at VBS. A good tree WILL bear fruit.

Many Christians are not trained to share their faith, because they are not In the faith. Evangelism is the heartbeat of God. If we are wrapped up IN CHRIST the natural outflow of our life will be evangelism. That is my problem with a lot of so called 'methods.' The Kingdom of God is the antithesis of the world. Whoever is first is last. Whoever would be exalted must humble himself. Why would we think soul winning would be any different? And so we have all these 'Evangelism Made Easy,' methods floating around. There is no substitute for abiding in Him and His word, and Him abiding in you. Let that happen and just try not evangelizing.
I haven't "converted anyone" because it's not something I can do.
"I can do ALL THINGS through Christ who strengthens me." Evangelism is not for the socially adept. Any act of faith is going to stretch you beyond your comforts. You can not convert anyone. But God can work through you. Are you available? God isn't looking for ability, He is looking for availability.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Ngakunui wrote:Disregarding myself, I never have. I was close once- very close. But I got into an argument over something unimportant with him, and didn't converse with him for well over a month. Then he decided to talk with me again. I've had the same thing happen before a few times, but never with that at stake. It seems socializing is not something I excel at.

Maybe I'm helping somehow? I really prefer to speak with Christians about things that are important for them, like in Bible study. To be honest, if I've done any good in that respect, it's by reflecting on what I know. I haven't "converted anyone" because it's not something I can do.

If I really wanted to I could lie and make up things like so many preachers now do, but I'm not going to. That's completely wrong and it's hypocritical to act such a way.
Think of yourself as a sower then... one who plants the seeds and an exhorter to your fellow believers…

The Lord can use us all in many diverse ways so never be too hard on yourself as there are many members of the body of Christ, each with their own giftings and callings...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys