Creation as I perceive it

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
zoegirl
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Creation as I perceive it

Post by zoegirl »

while things like these are interesting and it is certainly worthwhile to ponder the creation of the universe, it is important to realize that they don't substitute for scripture, nor are they on equal terms.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

Alan McDougall wrote:
ageofknowledge wrote:I prefer the Genesis account.

You really prefer the account by old man Moses, he was also musing on creation like I did, he did not get a facsimile from God did he??
I don't mind being creative with God's word at all either, like making songs and poems that retell God's creation or whatever. And I do think God gives us personal revelation today, yes. But, when you say things like this, then it makes me wonder where you're coming from. As Age pointed out, God spoke with Moses and there were witnesses to it; at least Moses has this going for him. When it comes to things such as you wrote, if you are claiming that you had a revelation from God that gives more detail to something, I would need to personally assess it in different ways. Julian of Norwich, for instance, claimed to have had revelations from God. And, I believe her revelations based on a number of factors. However, it's hard for me to believe that Julian would've made this comment about Moses, or any other biblical figure, for that matter.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Male

Post by ageofknowledge »

I'm not an artsy type of guy. I like MMA and steak with ketchup on it. Usually this kind of stuff to me is artsy people being artsy (which is fine if that's the extent of it), pothead acid dropping drug users succombing to the effects of the drugs and then thinking there's some kind of revelation in their drug addled composition/art, or people in the West playing with false religious systems and thinking their byproduct shows revelation.

The latter reminds me of a story a street preacher I know told me who spent 40 years preaching on corners in Los Angeles and San Francisco. He said back in the day on Haught Ashbury they had mystics that would grow their beards long and dress up like Jesus and go around preying on the minds first (and then the bodies) of young people who had taken Leary's advice to drop out and turn on. My friend had confrontations with these people in the street where he explained to them using scripture that they were wolves in sheep's clothing and false prophets and what their end would be if they didn't stop it.

Now I don't know which class(es) you belong to Alan. Only you know. But let me ask you this:

1. What do you believe the Bible says about sexual immorality?

2. What do you believe the Bible says about drug use for the purpose of getting high (not drugs used to correct a physical malady) or to experience revelation?

3. Do you conform your lifestyle and behavior to the traditionally Biblical Christian view regarding both (e.g. abstain from fornication/adultry/homosexuality/illegal drug use/ etc...)?

Dare to answer honestly and we'll cut through a lot of dancing around and know much better where you are coming from.
Alan McDougall
Familiar Member

Post by Alan McDougall »

ageofknowledge wrote:I'm not an artsy type of guy. I like MMA and steak with ketchup on it. Usually this kind of stuff to me is artsy people being artsy (which is fine if that's the extent of it), pothead acid dropping drug users succombing to the effects of the drugs and then thinking there's some kind of revelation in their drug addled composition/art, or people in the West playing with false religious systems and thinking their byproduct shows revelation.

The latter reminds me of a story a street preacher I know told me who spent 40 years preaching on corners in Los Angeles and San Francisco. He said back in the day on Haught Ashbury they had mystics that would grow their beards long and dress up like Jesus and go around preying on the minds first (and then the bodies) of young people who had taken Leary's advice to drop out and turn on. My friend had confrontations with these people in the street where he explained to them using scripture that they were wolves in sheep's clothing and false prophets and what their end would be if they didn't stop it.

Now I don't know which class(es) you belong to Alan. Only you know. But let me ask you this:

1. What do you believe the Bible says about sexual immorality?

2. What do you believe the Bible says about drug use for the purpose of getting high (not drugs used to correct a physical malady) or to experience revelation?

3. Do you conform your lifestyle and behavior to the traditionally Biblical Christian view regarding both (e.g. abstain from fornication/adultry/homosexuality/illegal drug use/ etc...)?

Dare to answer honestly and we'll cut through a lot of dancing around and know much better where you are coming from.

1) Sexual immorality is an abomination to God and man!

2) Drugs is an abomination to God equal to witchcraft

3) I was born again/ baptised over fourty years ago and it is you who is wet behind the ears and lacking both wisdom and knowledge or you would not be asking me these silly obvious questions
Last edited by Alan McDougall on Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God Bless in Jesus name

Alan
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by ageofknowledge »

Now that may be but I have to ask the questions in order to get the answers. Thank you for answering those close ended questions as it helps us understand better where you're NOT coming from.

8)
Alan McDougall
Familiar Member

Post by Alan McDougall »

ageofknowledge wrote:Now that may be but I have to ask the questions in order to get the answers. Thank you for answering those close ended questions as it helps us understand better where you're NOT coming from.

8)
Believe me I was led to this forum by the Holy Spirit, over the years I have had awful setbacks and disappointment in my Christian walk. If you read some of my replies in the other forum you might notice I am thankful for helpful Christian advice.

After my salvation I became very very ill with bipolar disorder, and this was mistaken as demon possession by some very unhelpful Christians. With the correct medication(not drugs) I am well balanced now . I turn 70 next December, so ever day from then on is a bonus, and I want to use this time to santify myself again to the Lord Jesus, so when I go to meet him I can face him free of regret or shame

Before I became so very ill , God often used me as an instrument of his will to help others, both Christians and non-Christians. I want to return to that place of deep prayer and faith before I die

I am an academic and very complex person with an insatiable curiosity about everything, maybe a bit like the cat! That is both my weakness and strangely also my strength
God Bless in Jesus name

Alan
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by ageofknowledge »

Ouch! That sounds painful. My apologies for any offense and welcome to the forum.

y>:D<
Alan McDougall
Familiar Member

Post by Alan McDougall »

ageofknowledge wrote:Ouch! That sounds painful. My apologies for any offense and welcome to the forum.

Thank you!!!!!!
God Bless in Jesus name

Alan
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by ageofknowledge »

Alan McDougall wrote:
ageofknowledge wrote:Ouch! That sounds painful. My apologies for any offense and welcome to the forum.

Thank you!!!!!!
You're welcome and thank you again for your patience with my lack of understanding.
Christian7
Newbie Member

Post by Christian7 »

I do not like all this new age nonsense that everything is lovey dovey that there is no such thing as evil
If one accepts the notion that Heaven/Love is the only reality, then it won't be hard to believe in it. Does this make me new age? Nope, just like walking with Christ doesn't make me religious. If it's acceptable in Heaven, let's try to accept it here. When John Lennon said, "Imagine there's no Heaven, no countries too" he meant imagine there was no separation and Love was the only force in existance and it's only opposite is the lack of it. Walk in perfect Love and Peace, and it will be given unto you, for the qualities of Heaven are your right. Represent He who sent you by fullfilling your part in the restoration. Ask through Christ what you must do to fulfill your purpose, and instructions are given you. Thank you Holy Spirit! I love you all!