Why are conservatives so mean?

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
rodyshusband
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Why are conservatives so mean?

Post by rodyshusband »

This is an interesting topic with many thoughtful responses. I would like to address the topic headline, "Why are conservatives so mean?"
I am often asked a similar question, "Why are you Christians/Evangelicals so mean?" Then, they provide examples of comments made by Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell or select portions of scripture. Ann Coulter, a Christian conservative, wrote after 9-11, "We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity". This statement is hardly consistent with Bibical Christianity, as I understand it. Miss Coulter often makes such controversial statements prior to the release of a new book.
No doubt, there are Christians who speak from a point of emotion that qualifies as "mean" or rude, others who use Christianity for political or power gain and still others who simply fail to understand what Christianity is. Select portions of scripture, read outside of the context of the full verse, can appear "mean".
We can just as easily ask the question, "Why are atheists/agnostics/ liberals so mean?" and state examples of each.
The question could also be asked, "Is what this person believes true?" You simply cannot judge a belief based on an individuals abuse of that belief.
I am a Christian. I look at the world from a Christian worldview. Conservatives and liberals all have some basic truths yet, when any worldview is contrary to what is taught in scriptures, it is prone to corruption and will eventually fail.
Feel free to tear me apart; I welcome your responses. Thanks for listening.
“Christianity provides a unified answer for the whole of life.” -- Francis Schaeffer
Harry12345
Valued Member

Post by Harry12345 »

Hey y'all! I just done figured out why conservatives are so mean!

If you're born once, you die twice; but if you're born twice, you die once.
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by ageofknowledge »

HEHEHE... good work Harry. It's OK. But you forget that back in the olden days, the Democrats were pro-slavery and the Republicans were the anti-slavery party.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

ageofknowledge wrote:HEHEHE... good work Harry. It's OK. But you forget that back in the olden days, the Democrats were pro-slavery and the Republicans were the anti-slavery party.
Nothing's changed.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Harry12345
Valued Member

Post by Harry12345 »

ageofknowledge wrote:HEHEHE... good work Harry. It's OK. But you forget that back in the olden days, the Democrats were pro-slavery and the Republicans were the anti-slavery party.
Lol, I know that, but the Republican party was very different back then to what it is now.
If you're born once, you die twice; but if you're born twice, you die once.