Existential crisis? I don't even know.

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
roysan78
Acquainted Member
Christian: No

Re: Existential crisis? I don't even know.

Post by roysan78 »

I want to believe in God. However, I cannot simply say I believe in God. I need to experience God to say I do. So, how do I say this? You cannot disprove an experience. That is why I think I need to experience God's love or precense to be able to say I believe in him cause of it.

So, how do you experience God?
jlay
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

You experience God by seeking the heart of God. Actually you are already experiencing Him, in ways that I have already mentioned. Because you are frustrated and depressed it may be hard for you to perceive. Part of this transition is already happening in you because you are facing, with honesty, the futile ways of this world. You have come to a great realization. The realities of strife are all too real for you.

Jesus said it this way. He who has my commands and keeps them, it is he who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by the Father, and I too will love him, and will MANIFEST myself to him. John 14:21
That is either true or not. So, a study of the Gospel of John is a great point to begin.

Radio waves are all around us. They are invisible and undetectable until we have a proper receiver tuned in. We can tune into God.

I had a confirming experience from God. Do you know what I wasn't doing. Seeking an experience. I was seeking God, facing my sins and His holiness. And then I had the experience. If you are seeking an experience it is unlikely you will have one. Why? Well, at the center of that is selfish desire. And as I mentioned before God will resist the proud. So, we must humble ourselves. We must remember that this is a process.

So we know this.
1. You want to beleive
2. You feel you need an experience

The crossroads will be number two. I have demonstrated in the previous posts that you have in fact had experiences. They may not be what you want, but they are a start. You have to purpose whether you will begin a sincere pursuit of truth, or whether you will take an antagonistic approach, which will only end in frustration. Let your desire be for hope, not for experiences. You do not experience God by demanding things of Him. He has provided you with the same two things he gives to every person. The creation, and your conscience. Empty yourself of demands, open yourself for the possibilities, and seek His heart.

This board deals a lot with the creation end of this question. I would encourage you to explore the main page for some answers. I would also recommend you to pursue other sources if you are sincere. You obviously devoted some serious study to the view of why you shouldn't beleive. You sited three books you read. I would at least give equal voice to the other side.

A lot of people here like Hugh Ross. I like C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity, or Lee Strobel's A case for Faith.

One thing this board doesn't deal with much is the conscience side. I addressed that a little earlier. I think this is by far the most important of the two. Your posts already demonstrate the reality of this. Your frustrations with injustice. The Hitler example. But to rightly beleive in God we must first beleive that He exist. We must also know that it is not just a God that exist, but that this is the God. So, why Christianity. Who is God? What is his character?

Here is a link to a good place to start, and it's free.
http://www.livingwaters.com/Merchant2/g ... ianity.pdf

Be certain of this. I will be praying for you.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
roysan78
Acquainted Member
Christian: No

Post by roysan78 »

Thanks, I wish my PM feature would work, as I have many questions that I hope you perhaps would be able to help me with if that's not a problem. I could explain myself more.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

check your email.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
For_Narniaaa
Established Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by For_Narniaaa »

roysan78 wrote:If that did happen it would have been huge news..I have never heard about it..
Not necessarily. Today's media is composed of close-minded, one-sided worshippers of a god called Government. There's no way they'd be posting Christian miracles if it meant compromising some of their power.

Also, I knew somebody who was put on the local news channel after being miraculously healed. And I mean it was a miracle...no medicine involved, the doctors stumped, etc. Not the "oh, I prayed and the medicine worked" type of story you were complaining of earlier.

"Fear of the Lord is the foundation of true knowledge." ~Proverbs 1:7

"The God of the universe---the Creator of nitrogen and pine needles, galaxies and E-minor---loves you with a radical, unconditional, self-sacrificing love." ~Francis Chan

Banner credit: arwen-undomiel.com
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

For_Narniaaa wrote:Also, I knew somebody who was put on the local news channel after being miraculously healed. And I mean it was a miracle...no medicine involved, the doctors stumped, etc. Not the "oh, I prayed and the medicine worked" type of story you were complaining of earlier.
I know of many, many such cases (some of which I witnessed personally).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
For_Narniaaa
Established Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by For_Narniaaa »

Byblos wrote:
For_Narniaaa wrote:Also, I knew somebody who was put on the local news channel after being miraculously healed. And I mean it was a miracle...no medicine involved, the doctors stumped, etc. Not the "oh, I prayed and the medicine worked" type of story you were complaining of earlier.
I know of many, many such cases (some of which I witnessed personally).
Exactly. If our news covered things like this, maybe there wouldn't be so manly lost people in our country.

"Fear of the Lord is the foundation of true knowledge." ~Proverbs 1:7

"The God of the universe---the Creator of nitrogen and pine needles, galaxies and E-minor---loves you with a radical, unconditional, self-sacrificing love." ~Francis Chan

Banner credit: arwen-undomiel.com
rare96ws6
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by rare96ws6 »

It is a shame that miracles do not happen when there is no question of coincidence. If they did, then
many more people who are lost would take notice. It is easy for us as Christians to "see" a miracle
when for instance, cancer suddenly leaves a person's body with no medical intervention. Miracles
however do not happen when there is no room for doubt such as with an amputee suddenly grows
a limb back.