Fear

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
NessaSue
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Fear

Post by NessaSue »

I guess I just need to get this off my chest...I am terrified of death, well, not the actual dying part, but what comes after dying. But my greatest fear is that What if the only reason I believe in God is because of my overwelming fear of Death? I keep telling myself I need to put my faith in God, and I pray everyday for the strength to overcome this fear, and for awhile it works, but everytime I seem to get a handle on things, that little bity doubt wiggles its way back. I guess I really dont have a question, I just needed to talk to someone, anyone about all this.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Fear

Post by cslewislover »

You can talk with me if you like. One question: do you read the bible, preferably every day? Vicki
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
NessaSue
Newbie Member

Post by NessaSue »

to be honest, not really...I really dont have an excuse why...sorry if you waited long for me to reply, I have a 3 year old who wants my attention :)
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

It's OK. When I read the bible, something happens to me (well, often, that is, lol), something good. It's God being with me and encouraging me. I'm positive it would help you to read it. Don't start with the Old Testament, though, lol. In fact, I wrote out some verses this morning that are very encouraging. Why not read them now? These are from Ephesians, a very encouraging book of the NT.

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ. For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will--to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves. In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding. And he made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ, to be put into effect when the times will have reached their fulfillment--to bring all things in heaven and on earth together under one head, even Christ." (1:3-10)

"In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will, in order that we, who were the first to hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory. And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession--to the praise of his glory." (1:11-14)

What do you think?
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
NessaSue
Newbie Member

Post by NessaSue »

Thank you:) That actually made me feel a little better. I guess this is something I wont be able to fix overnight, huh?
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

NessaSue wrote:Thank you:) That actually made me feel a little better. I guess this is something I wont be able to fix overnight, huh?
I don't know enough about you to know. Some fears and vices and things, God takes away right away, others we have to deal with a long time, maybe until we die. When and how did you give your life to Christ? Do you think that you really gave yourself to him? If not, why not let me know. You can pm me if you want. :esmile:
NessaSue
Newbie Member

Post by NessaSue »

Ok, I will:)
zoegirl
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

HI Nessa,

I think it is quite normal to be afraid of dying and also to worry about one's motive for believing. But with all relationships, we grow. The wonderful thing about Christ is that He understands everything and wants to hear from us. Even our doubts and fears, even if those doubts and fears are about our faith. Even in scripture we see this
23" 'If you can'?" said Jesus. "Everything is possible for him who believes."

24Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"
Mark 9

Pray to God, but I'm not just talking about standard prayers or rote memorization of any prayers....talk to God. Tell HIm of your worries, your fears. Belief me, this helps. I lost a friend about 4 years ago (moved away, lost touch) and this was a close friend. And you can simply stop feeling what you are feeling. But you can coomit those feelings to the LOrd. And virtually every day when I walked my dog I was simply crying out to God in my loneliness. He doesn't want us to hide from Him and the moment we do we build barriers between HIm and us. And when we feel we are doubting HIm or may not have faith, that is the moment we need to be honest with GOd. Ask Him to reveal Himself to you in His word and CSLewislover also has the best advice as well. He will reveal HImsefl in HIs word as well as to your heart through His word. I iwll pray for you.

LOok at it this way. If we already had perfect faith, would we really need Christ? We never have perfect faith in the beginning of our CHristian walk and it will always amaze you to look back on yourself and see how you have grown and how you continue to grow.

Shoot, I'd worry if somebody *wasn't* afraid of dying or what's after death.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
ugo
Familiar Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by ugo »

Hi Nessa

Zoegirl is correct about fearing death.
I do not think God will reject you just because your fear got you to walk towards HIm. But do not let this be the only reason now. Your faith will grow as you expereinec God more and read His word more. Ask in prayer for help and you will receive this help. We have faith and initially it may be blind but it must become more than that one day. A faith of knowing God and walking with Him. Some Churches say they are "seeker" sensitve Churches who suit the church depending on who is coming in the door but a seeker of God is someone who has begun thier journey of knwoing Him. Who in simple faith say, " I believe in you, I have my doubts, but I search for you".
God bless and may your journey continue in His love and peace.
brandiejenn
Acquainted Member
Sex: Male

Post by brandiejenn »

Please do not fear death. With your ever growing love for our saviour Jesus Christ you will find that the stronger that your faith is the more you will look at what we call our pyhsical death here is really only our new birth to be with the Father. The only ones that suffer at a pyhsical death are the people that we leave behind and the poor souls that refused to accept Jesus as their personel saviour. My brothers and sisters are right you need to read your Bible daily and pray to God every chance that you have. Give thanks to God for all the wonderful things that he has blessed you with during your short time here on earth and thank him for giving you the peace of mind that when you leave this world you will have a place in his kingdom. I look forward to one day seeing you there.

Keep the Faith

Bill
jt777
Newbie Member

Post by jt777 »

Fear of death is very human, but we have someone who has conquered death via the cross - Jesus Christ

1 Corinthians 15:55-58
'Where, O death, is your victory?
Where, O death, is your sting?"
The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labour in the Lord is not in vain.

v 35 'But someone may ask, "How are the dead raised? With what kind of body will they come?" How foolish! What you sow does not come to life unless it dies.....
v42 So it will be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; it is sown in dishonour, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body.'

Your physical body is a tent, your spiritual body is your permanent home. When we die (as Christians) we will have a spiritual body like Jesus had when He rose from the dead.

But it is better to focus on life rather than death. Life is a gift and we all need to make the most of whatever we have to make a difference to people while we are in this mortal tent. If we focus too much on death we may forget to fully embrace life and that way leads regret. Fear is the opposite of faith and love drives out fear. Ask God to increase your faith and I will too.

Other Q&As on God are in a blog I have just started: please check it out... http:/qandaongod.blogspot.com
JT