Meat

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
Daniel
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Meat

Post by Daniel »

I have a couple of questions regarding the Christian's freedom to eat meat. My first is this - why does the New Testament take inconsistent stands on food sacrificed to idols? Acts 15:20 and at least another passage or two seem to uncategorically condemn it, but Paul places it in the category of "Christian freedom". This is not really relevant to our society today, so I am really only curious about that one.

My second question is about the same verse. It seems to condemn eating blood. We now know scientifically today that when you cook meat, some blood always still remains. Does this condemn eating meat raw? Medium? I like my steaks medium... am I taking this too seriously, or does this verse just condemn eating blood apart from meat, which I suspect it might?
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Meat

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Daniel wrote:why does the New Testament take inconsistent stands on food sacrificed to idols? Acts 15:20 and at least another passage or two seem to uncategorically condemn it
First, the NT doesn´t take inconsistent stants on food sacrificed to idols. All food wether sacrificed to idols or not, wether containing blood or not is acceptable for the Christian. As a Christian, you have the freedom to gobble down blood by the gallon if you so choose. The passage you mentionned, Acts 15:20, must be taken in context for its proper understanding. The context is James´ concern for the spiritual well-being of new Christians coming from amongst the Gentiles, people who up until that time lived a life anathema to God, a life hated by God, doing things detestable to God.

James´ primary concern for these new Christians was to separate them from their pagan rituals, not to load them down with Jewish legalism on eating blood or food sacrificed to idols.

As a Christian matures in his walk with Christ, he will see the ever-increasing freedom he has in Christ. New Christians, however, need some form of guidance away from their former practices , their former beliefs. If Acts 15:20 is in the Bible, it is sanctionned by God as a method of helping new Christians overcome sinful tendencies, nothing more.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
obsolete
Established Member

Post by obsolete »

Jesus also appeared to Peter in a dream and told him to get up, kill and eat.

Jesus also said that nothing that goes into the body makes you unpure, but that which comes out.

As a chef I love to eat meat. The more the better! :ebiggrin: I think that if you pray and give thanks to God for what He has provided and ask for it to be blessed to your body, He hears you and is pleased with your request. So, eat what you like. Even Sushi! :thumbsup:
Jesus died for ALL. End of story.
Zebulon
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Zebulon »

Weird because in some part of the NT Jesus mention to eat pure food, food that is not part of the kind that has been killed.

Cant recall where, sorry.

Zebulon
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

Zebulon wrote:Weird because in some part of the NT Jesus mention to eat pure food, food that is not part of the kind that has been killed.
That would advocate vegetarianism, would it not? I have not seen anything like that in the bible.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Harry12345
Valued Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Harry12345 »

There is nothing sinful about eating meat.

I myself am not too big on meat, I prefer just fish! But that's just me.
If you're born once, you die twice; but if you're born twice, you die once.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female

Post by cslewislover »

Mmmm. Fish and chips . . . sushi . . . drool.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Anyone YEC must surely be thanking God for the fall... :P Mmmm roast chicken.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

Lol. Whole roast pig . . . mmmm.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Cross.eyed
Valued Member

Post by Cross.eyed »

cslewislover wrote:Lol. Whole roast pig . . . mmmm.
Are you saying you're going to eat a WHOLE PIG?? y:O2

Seriously, I love most kinds of fish.
I am the wretch the song refers to.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

Cross.eyed wrote:
cslewislover wrote:Lol. Whole roast pig . . . mmmm.
Are you saying you're going to eat a WHOLE PIG?? y:O2

Seriously, I love most kinds of fish.
:pound: :pound: :pound: Maybe not in one sitting . . .
HeHathRisen
Newbie Member

Post by HeHathRisen »

Interesting... I've never even considered the Bible's stance on meat and blood.

I actually had a grandmother who refused to eat any and all pork products because she viewed it as being unclean. She said it says in the Bible but never gave me any evidence...

Does anyone know of any passage about this?
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

Welcome to the board!

Jews were not to eat pork, or eat blood left in animals, according to OT law (Gen 9:4; Deut 14:8). But we are no longer under those laws. Acts 10:15, 11:9; Rom 14:14; 1 Cor 10:25-26; 1 Tim 4:3; Titus 1:15.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

cslewislover wrote:Welcome to the board!

Jews were not to eat pork, or eat blood left in animals, according to OT law (Gen 9:4; Deut 14:8). But we are no longer under those laws. Acts 10:15, 11:9; Rom 14:14; 1 Cor 10:25-26; 1 Tim 4:3; Titus 1:15.
And here we go again. Yes, we are still under those laws. Even Peter knew which animals were unclean, and refused them (even after Christ died.) There are many threads discussing this subject.
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
zoegirl
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

An you are among the minority here
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"