Commandments of the prophets

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
strongc15
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Commandments of the prophets

Post by strongc15 »

Hey everyone,
I know that as Christians, we do not have to follow the Mosaic law, but do we still have to follow the commandments that the Old Testament prophets gave?
Thanks very much,
Caroline
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: Commandments of the prophets

Post by B. W. »

strongc15 wrote:Hey everyone,
I know that as Christians, we do not have to follow the Mosaic law, but do we still have to follow the commandments that the Old Testament prophets gave?
Thanks very much,
Caroline
Hi Caroline,

Can you give a specific verse or verses so we can respond?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
strongc15
Newbie Member

Post by strongc15 »

Like in Ezekiel 45:18-25 where it is commanded that we observe the passover and and other books of the Old Testament where there are commandments given to people.
strongc15
Newbie Member

Post by strongc15 »

And also the Book of Proverbs...do we have to obey those commandments?
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

strongc15 wrote:I know that as Christians, we do not have to follow the Mosaic law, but do we still have to follow the commandments that the Old Testament prophets gave?
You have to follow every commandment and rule you find in the Old Testament, without exception. And you must do so perfectly - without a slip-up - every day for the rest of your life...otherwise, you go to Hell.

Period.

Now, Jesus said in Matthew 5:17,

Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them...

This means that for Christians, Jesus has paid the price for your sin, your inability to measure up, so you won't have to.

The apostle Paul, writing in 1 Corinthians says, «Everything is permissible for me»--but not everything is beneficial. «Everything is permissible for me»--but I will not be mastered by anything.

You really are free from the Law but don't be stupid about it. Don't let yourself erect an idol to Freedom and dive into the deep end without knowing how to swim...in other words, study your Bible and transform your mind through the word of God.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Sex: Male

Post by Cross.eyed »

Thanks very much,
Caroline
Hi Caroline.
Mat. 22:37 And He said to him, You shall love the lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.
Mat. 22:38 This is the great and foremost commandment.
Mat. 22:39 The second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself
Mat. 22:40 On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the prophets.
All quotes from N.A.S.B.

Love God with all your affections, all your consiousness, and all of your thoughts.
Give others the passes we give ourselves.

I hope this helps.
I am the wretch the song refers to.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Cross.eyed wrote:
Thanks very much,
Caroline
Hi Caroline.
Mat. 22:37 And He said to him, You shall love the lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.
Mat. 22:38 This is the great and foremost commandment.
Mat. 22:39 The second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself
Mat. 22:40 On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the prophets.
All quotes from N.A.S.B.

Love God with all your affections, all your consiousness, and all of your thoughts.
Give others the passes we give ourselves.

I hope this helps.
That sums it up very nicely! :amen:
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
strongc15
Newbie Member

Post by strongc15 »

Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
strongc15 wrote:I know that as Christians, we do not have to follow the Mosaic law, but do we still have to follow the commandments that the Old Testament prophets gave?
You have to follow every commandment and rule you find in the Old Testament, without exception. And you must do so perfectly - without a slip-up - every day for the rest of your life...otherwise, you go to Hell.

Period.

Now, Jesus said in Matthew 5:17,

Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them...

This means that for Christians, Jesus has paid the price for your sin, your inability to measure up, so you won't have to.

The apostle Paul, writing in 1 Corinthians says, «Everything is permissible for me»--but not everything is beneficial. «Everything is permissible for me»--but I will not be mastered by anything.

You really are free from the Law but don't be stupid about it. Don't let yourself erect an idol to Freedom and dive into the deep end without knowing how to swim...in other words, study your Bible and transform your mind through the word of God.

FL
So I even/still have to follow the command from Sirach that says that I shouldn't have dinner with another person's wife? Forgive me, but I'm finding that a little hard to believe...
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

strongc15 wrote:So I even/still have to follow the command from Sirach that says that I shouldn't have dinner with another person's wife? Forgive me, but I'm finding that a little hard to believe...
You did not understand my original post on this matter. Go back and read it again; avoid jumping to conclusions until you understand what I wrote.

If that doesn't work, I am in full agreement with what Cross.eyed wrote. B.W. is also in agreement with Cross.eyed.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

I'd like to offer a little different anwer than the unaninmous conclusion reached thus far.

No. You don't have to keep the prophets' commands. Not one of them. Not only that, you don't have to keep the Law. Not even the Ten Commandments.

The reason is this: the Prophets based their message on the Law. Everything they said and did, all the commands that they gave, were based on the Torah. As some OT Scholars put it, their visions and messages were "exegeses of exegeses" (that is, their messages were explanations of their visions, and their visions were explanations of the Law).

Thus,
(1): everyone under the Law must keep all the commands of the Prophets.

Next, the Law was written to and for Israel. You aren't a member of that nation, therefore, you aren't under its laws. In fact, Jews today are not a part of that nation, and therefore even they are not under its laws. That Jesus fulfilled the Law is another issue entirely that we can deal with on its own terms. In any case, it is obvious that you are under the laws of the nation you are in. If you are an American, you aren't under French laws. Even if France has a law that says, "It is illegal to murder," you are not constrained by that law. You are constrained by the AMERICAN law not to murder.

Thus,
(2): The only people under the Law are Israelites.
But,
(3): You are not an Israelite.
Thus,
(4): from (2) and (3), You are not under the Law.
Thus,
(5): from (4) and (1), you are not obligated to keep the Prophets' commands.

What, then, are you obligated to keep? The commands of the New Covenant, which James calls "The Law of Christ." And what is that Law? To love one another. Needless to say, if you kill a man, you aren't loving him, and therefore, murder is wrong. This also explains why we aren't under the Ten Commandments as such (I know my Sabbatarian friends here are in violent disagreement!). You are not to murder, not because the Ten Commandments say so, but because to murder is to violate the Law of Grace, namely, to love each other.

You, my friend, are under Grace, not Law. But know that Grace is a Law unto itself.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Jac3510 wrote:I'd like to offer a little different anwer than the unaninmous conclusion reached thus far.
I like what Jac3510 wrote in his post above. He also brought out the point that only Israelites - Jews - are bound to the Law.

Jac3510 has obviously given much thought to the matter and I think his answer is the most complete so far.

FL

+ + +

+ + +
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by FFC »

Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:I'd like to offer a little different anwer than the unaninmous conclusion reached thus far.
I like what Jac3510 wrote in his post above. He also brought out the point that only Israelites - Jews - are bound to the Law.

Jac3510 has obviously given much thought to the matter and I think his answer is the most complete so far.

FL
I agree!
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by BavarianWheels »

Jac3510 wrote:(I know my Sabbatarian friends here are in violent disagreement.)
Violently? Not violently...just disagree.
strongc15
Newbie Member

Post by strongc15 »

I think I get it now. Thank you all very very much eveyrone! :D :D :D
waynebo
Acquainted Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by waynebo »

1st John 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.