Faith can't live without it

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Faith can't live without it

Post by B. W. »

Faith, no one can live without. Even the most militant atheist has faith, faith in science, faith in one's five senses and reason. However, they most likely do not like to use the word faith to describe their belief system. It takes faith to believe in that there is no god.

How many inventions came from dreams? An inventor, like Thomas Edison, needed faith to apply science to make his dreams a reality. Yes, we all have a measure of faith. This measure maybe in other things rather than God but it is faith nevertheless.

So what is the difference between Christian Faith and other types of faith?

As Christians, what is our faith grounded on?

Let's re-open this Theology Forum...

Ideas — comments?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Faith can't live without it

Post by Cross.eyed »

Right on. Man lives by faith and little else.

Even the seemingly simplest of things require faith. Take for instance the events that go through our minds about what we're planning to do tommorrow: First, we will wake at a certain time- all faith- we have no idea whether we will wake up at all.
Next, we will go downstairs and have breakfast with our family- all faith- they might not be there.
Then we will load up the car and go to the beach-all faith-we might not make it.
We will all have a good ol' time-all faith-one or all of us may be miserable.
And so it goes.

The truth of it all is we take so much for granted (faith alone) that we don't even know how much faith it takes to get through an average day. Without bothering to consider it any other way, the sun will rise in the east, when we put the key in the ignition, the car will start, and even though we can't see it, or hear it, or smell it, when we flip the switch, electricity will cause the light to illuminate.

We have faith in our family that they love us, that our boss will be cranky Monday morning, and the bagels at the corner pastry shop will taste great, etc. etc.

It is a great thing this faith that we have been given to by GOD, for without it, life would be terrible.
If we were to reduce all our faith to only one half of what we have, every day would carry with it a great deal of uncertainty and worry. Our thinking capacity would shrink, our concentration efforts would be useless, and our consiousness would be in the proverbial hole.

Faith is a larger part of the human world than we ever bother to think upon.
I am the wretch the song refers to.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

B. W. wrote:Faith, no one can live without. Even the most militant atheist has faith, faith in science, faith in one's five senses and reason. However, they most likely do not like to use the word faith to describe their belief system. It takes faith to believe in that there is no god.
Even my dog has faith. My wife tells me that every evening, just before I get back home from work, my dog expectantly looks out the front window and waits.

Why would this be?...what is the metaphysic behind faith? Who created faith and why? Why does faith even exist?... why not just nothing, no-faith?
Cross.eyed wrote:It is a great thing this faith that we have been given to by GOD, for without it, life would be terrible.
Terrible? Could life even be without faith?

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Zebulon
Valued Member

Post by Zebulon »

B. W. wrote:Faith, no one can live without. Even the most militant atheist has faith, faith in science, faith in one's five senses and reason. However, they most likely do not like to use the word faith to describe their belief system. It takes faith to believe in that there is no god.

How many inventions came from dreams? An inventor, like Thomas Edison, needed faith to apply science to make his dreams a reality. Yes, we all have a measure of faith. This measure maybe in other things rather than God but it is faith nevertheless.

Ideas — comments?
-
-
-
Yup I will go for that. Faith.

If you have a bit of faith you would move this mountain (or something like that) as He said.

How many of us have stories from our friends, relatives, where miracles appened out of faith?

I have few of them. But I do have some.

Zebulon.
Cross.eyed
Valued Member

Post by Cross.eyed »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:Terrible? Could life even be without faith?[
Only in the broadest sense of the term.
I have met a few people who seem to have very little faith in anything, up to and including themselves.
That is why I gave the example of reducing faith by only one half, I was being very conservative as to how much faith we really need to have any kind of life at all.

In the most strict of sense, I wholeheartedly agree with you that life, without a great deal of faith, would be impossible.

(I hope there is a grace period in effect at least until inaugrual day for using the word conservative.)
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

I definitely agree with B.W. on this one. :swhat: It takes alot more faith to believe there is no God, than to believe in Him.
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
Cross.eyed
Valued Member

Post by Cross.eyed »

jenna wrote:I definitely agree with B.W. on this one. :swhat: It takes alot more faith to believe there is no God, than to believe in Him.
Agreed, it takes a GIANT leap of faith to believe this entire universe formed itself by chance. In the book I Don't Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist the odds of that happening were stated: 1 in 10 to the 40,000th power.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Cross.eyed wrote:
I was referring to the metaphysic of faith: the reason behind the existence of faith, or that which makes faith a necessity in the creation. As I stated in my original post, even my dog has faith according to Hebrews 11:1, Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. The atheist has faith according to this narrow definition as well, be it Hebrews 11:1, or a firm and unquestioning belief in something for which there is no proof, (Merriam Webster Dictonary.)

I would even say that my dog, the atheist and the religionist all have faith of similar merit, a firm and unquestioning belief in something for which there is no proof, for my dog doesn't know if I will appear at the appointed time, the atheist believes in evolution even though it is without proof, and the religionist believes unquestioningly.

So, «faith» appears to be part of life, sentient life at least.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Cross.eyed
Valued Member

Post by Cross.eyed »

Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Cross.eyed wrote:
I was referring to the metaphysic of faith: the reason behind the existence of faith, or that which makes faith a necessity in the creation. As I stated in my original post, even my dog has faith according to Hebrews 11:1, Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. The atheist has faith according to this narrow definition as well, be it Hebrews 11:1, or a firm and unquestioning belief in something for which there is no proof, (Merriam Webster Dictonary.)

I would even say that my dog, the atheist and the religionist all have faith of similar merit, a firm and unquestioning belief in something for which there is no proof, for my dog doesn't know if I will appear at the appointed time, the atheist believes in evolution even though it is without proof, and the religionist believes unquestioningly.

So, «faith» appears to be part of life, sentient life at least.

FL
Then we are in agreement.
Thanks for explaining this further and my apologies if I wasn't very clear.
I sometimes get a heavy fog that surrounds my pea sized brain.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female

Post by cslewislover »

Yes, I think most people have faith in something. I truly don't know how you can live without having faith. Personally, it wasn't until after I decided I didn't want to live anymore - before I had faith - that I became a Christian. I think people are drawn in the direction of their faith, too. When I was working on my BA in anthropology, I took the regular classes for the major, but I originally was focusing on human evolution (instead of archaeology, which I ended up doing). I wanted to know; know about humans and where they came from (I was not raised a Christian). Between the biology classes and the human evolution classes, things just didn't seem to add up to me. I think, like others have said here, that you have to have more faith to believe in those things than to believe in the God of the bible, the creator God.

As an aside, I notice that some older people walk around with the worst expressions on their faces. They look so angry and hopeless (and if you encounter them, they're invariably rude). These people, it seems to me, have no faith in anything and are totally miserable. If anyone has any comments on that, it would be interesting.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
JCSx2
Valued Member

Post by JCSx2 »

I have faith that science will open peoples eyes to a God, the more we learn the more we realize there is more to it than a big coincidence.

Ideas — comments?
-
-
-
Definition of a Veteran. A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including his life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

B. W. wrote:So what is the difference between Christian Faith and other types of faith?
You may be interested in knowing what the Koran* says about Jesus:

They do blaspheme who say that Allah is one of three in a Trinity: for there is no god except One God. If they desist not from their [blasphemy], verily a grievous penalty will befall the blasphemers among them... Christ, the son of Mary, was no more than a Messenger; many were The Messengers that passed away before him. -sura 5:73, 75a

By 620AD - when Satan inspired his prophet to recite the Koran - Christians must have been a thorn in Mohammed's sandal to have incurred such attention because the Koran is full of references to Jesus.

The popular view today is somewhat similar to the above. Jesus is seen as a Great Man, a Wise Soul, a Philosopher's Philosopher...but he is not God, at least outside the USA.

The USA still maintains lip service to the Christian faith, but that should change...for the worse.

FL

*quotes from The Holy Qur'an, translated by 'Abdullah Yusuf 'Ali, Amana Corp., Brentwood, Maryland, USA

+ + +

+ + +
Harry12345
Valued Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Harry12345 »

Ideas — comments?
-
-
-
When push comes to shove, I cannot explain my faith that God is One and His Son came to die for my sins. I heard the word, and believed without question. y:-?
If you're born once, you die twice; but if you're born twice, you die once.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by FFC »

Harry12345 wrote:

Ideas — comments?
-
-
-
When push comes to shove, I cannot explain my faith that God is One and His Son came to die for my sins. I heard the word, and believed without question. y:-?
Me too
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

While pondering what faith is in regards to faith in God — I am beginning to see that an attribute of faith is — clinging too the Lord.

What do you all think about this? Faith — Believe in the Lord paints a picture of a person who spends their mortal days clinging to the Lord in all they do and say…

Does this make sense?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys