Question

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Joshua
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Question

Post by Joshua »

Let me start by saying that my wife and I love God and know it will be wonderful to spend eternity with Him. God has blessed our lives, we are still young and have a great love for each other that God has given us and have no children yet, but very much are looking foward to it and hope to see our grandchildren one day also.

My question: Is it wrong (sinful) to not want the rapture to happen in our life time?

As much as we both desire an intimate relationship with God, we still want the things God created us for in this life. Sometimes we fear this feeling is against what God wants and are unsure what to make of the want to live out our earthly lives.
The Christian Life is about relationships, not performance.
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Question

Post by BavarianWheels »

Joshua wrote:Let me start by saying that my wife and I love God and know it will be wonderful to spend eternity with Him. God has blessed our lives, we are still young and have a great love for each other that God has given us and have no children yet, but very much are looking foward to it and hope to see our grandchildren one day also.

My question: Is it wrong (sinful) to not want the rapture to happen in our life time?

As much as we both desire an intimate relationship with God, we still want the things God created us for in this life. Sometimes we fear this feeling is against what God wants and are unsure what to make of the want to live out our earthly lives.
It is my belief that just as it was in the Garden of Eden, so shall it basically be in "heaven".

I'm sure we will still procreate. Just because you MAY not have kids on this earth, in this lifetime, doesn't mean you'll never have kids.
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female

Post by zoegirl »

I don't know think we can really say that for certain, Bavarian. How do you handle the passage form Chrsit concerning no marriage in heaven?

However, C.S>Lewis has a very nice treatise on this idea of "missing out". He likened it to a kid not really understanding why an adult would consider marriage more exciting than chocalate, yet from experience, an adult clearly realizes that physical intimacy is clearly better than chocalate, whereas in a child's mind, nothing could be better than chocolate.

So it is with heaven- the relationships we have with Christ and other believers....the church will be so incredible that we in all likelyhood all shale our heads and wonder at the comparison we used to make.

That being said, there is nothing wrong at all with looking forward to what God will bless us with in this life. And children are a blessing from the LOrd and there is nothing wrong with yearning for them.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Daniel
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Daniel »

Yes, I think that the passage where Jesus said that there will be no marriage in heaven pretty much seals it for me. I agree with everything zoegirl said.

By the way, Joshua, I kind of struggle with the same feelings. I'm young, have found the love of my life and have not married her yet, and having not tasted the reality of heaven yet, I want to be able to marry her before I leave this earth.
Swamper
Valued Member

Post by Swamper »

Daniel wrote:Yes, I think that the passage where Jesus said that there will be no marriage in heaven pretty much seals it for me. I agree with everything zoegirl said.

By the way, Joshua, I kind of struggle with the same feelings. I'm young, have found the love of my life and have not married her yet, and having not tasted the reality of heaven yet, I want to be able to marry her before I leave this earth.
I also want to get married before the resurrection. To paraphrase one of my friends, I'm ready for Jesus to return any time, just not on my wedding night. ;)
God's in his Heaven, all's right with the world.
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female

Post by zoegirl »

:lol:

sounds good to me!!! Amen to that!
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

zoegirl wrote:I don't know think we can really say that for certain, Bavarian. How do you handle the passage form Chrsit concerning no marriage in heaven?
Actually I'm not POSITIVE on this...it's just a feeling since it is God who created the union of two to one. He never created "marriage" per se. The text in the NIV states "at the resurrection" and it was in concern to a woman whose husband had died and was left to his brother(s). It is an odd circumstance that Jesus is dealing with...and I won't pretend to know EXACTLY what He meant by it.

However, as I mentioned, it is God who put man and woman together. It is God whose plan it was/is for this man and woman to procreate and fill the earth.

In fact, it is my thought that heaven will be much like we know life to be here except the sin part. I don't think we'll have jobs and income, but we'll have our homes and family. I believe we will reap our food from the earth...our work will sustain us while God will sustain our life. I believe we will do many things we know here on sinful earth...water ski, snow ski, hike, ride bikes, play at the beach,...but that's just me.

Forgive me if my idea of heaven is so different and wrong because I believe what God created in the beginning was good...and should still be good when He recreates again.

See Isaiah 65:17-25
JCSx2
Valued Member

Post by JCSx2 »

LOL this reminds me of a popular country song by Kenny Chesney, Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to go right now.

I also want to see my son grow and become a man. We just started out first year of Cub Scouts he is a Tiger Cub.

Peace

Jim
JCSx2
Valued Member

Post by JCSx2 »

Actually I believe from scripture that Heaven will be totally brand new and we will not recollect our lives here on earth or our marriage or family we had while here on earth. I need to look up the proper scripture and I will post it for you to see.

I do see that as sad in respect that I truly love my family and from an earthly standpoint I would miss them, but actually I will have never known this life once Jesus comes back and transforms us in a twinkling of an eye.

BavarianWheels wrote:
zoegirl wrote:I don't know think we can really say that for certain, Bavarian. How do you handle the passage form Chrsit concerning no marriage in heaven?
Actually I'm not POSITIVE on this...it's just a feeling since it is God who created the union of two to one. He never created "marriage" per se. The text in the NIV states "at the resurrection" and it was in concern to a woman whose husband had died and was left to his brother(s). It is an odd circumstance that Jesus is dealing with...and I won't pretend to know EXACTLY what He meant by it.

However, as I mentioned, it is God who put man and woman together. It is God whose plan it was/is for this man and woman to procreate and fill the earth.

In fact, it is my thought that heaven will be much like we know life to be here except the sin part. I don't think we'll have jobs and income, but we'll have our homes and family. I believe we will reap our food from the earth...our work will sustain us while God will sustain our life. I believe we will do many things we know here on sinful earth...water ski, snow ski, hike, ride bikes, play at the beach,...but that's just me.

Forgive me if my idea of heaven is so different and wrong because I believe what God created in the beginning was good...and should still be good when He recreates again.

See Isaiah 65:17-25
Definition of a Veteran. A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including his life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

Talk about being deceived...to having been convinced that time enough to be an "Eagle Scout" (or insert your vice here) is better than heaven now.

:shakehead:
JCSx2
Valued Member

Post by JCSx2 »

Not deceived just an earthly idea, and not very holy at that. I as a man would like to spend time with my family. The Good Lord Almighty has blessed me with a wonderful family I thank him daily for.

Is heaven better than this earthly world.....
YES it is, and I would accept it with open arms if it happened today (don't think it will though). I guess it could be considered a sin to be that way. What are your views on this?

After work I will look up those passages mentioned above.

BavarianWheels wrote:.
Talk about being deceived...to having been convinced that time enough to be an "Eagle Scout" (or insert your vice here) is better than heaven now.

:shakehead:
Definition of a Veteran. A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including his life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Joshua
Acquainted Member

Post by Joshua »

JCSx2 wrote:Actually I believe from scripture that Heaven will be totally brand new and we will not recollect our lives here on earth or our marriage or family we had while here on earth.
[/quote]

If thats true then what is really the point of this life? To die in this life and not remember any of it in the next...isn't that like reincarnation(sp?)?
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

Joshua wrote:
JCSx2 wrote:Actually I believe from scripture that Heaven will be totally brand new and we will not recollect our lives here on earth or our marriage or family we had while here on earth.
If thats true then what is really the point of this life? To die in this life and not remember any of it in the next...isn't that like reincarnation(sp?)?
I guess we'll not understand those scars on Christ's hands...it also opens the door once again for sin to enter in...having not experienced it or able to explain its curse.
Joshua
Acquainted Member

Post by Joshua »

I guess we'll not understand those scars on Christ's hands...it also opens the door once again for sin to enter in...having not experienced it or able to explain its curse.
:clap: Exactly!
Daniel
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Daniel »

I have to agree. We will be rewarded in heaven for what we did on Earth, and it would be strange if we did not know why we were being rewarded.

Likewise, in the Lazarus parable, the man in hell seems to have a recollection of Earth (with the caveat that this might not be meant to be an exact representation of hell, as Glenn Miller points out on his website.