the meaning of abundant life

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Lufia
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

the meaning of abundant life

Post by Lufia »

'I came to bring life, abundant life' Not sure if i wrote it correctly, I don't have any english Bible but i'm sure you know what i mean. So can you explain the meaning of the abundant life? Is it an abundant spiritual life? And if so, what is an abundant spiritual life?
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: the meaning of abundant life

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Lufia has a French Bible and she has translated John 10:10. This is John 10:10b in English:

I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. (NIV)

This is John 10:10b in French: Moi, je suis venu afin que les hommes aient la vie, une vie abondante. (Version Semeur)

Who wants to tackle this one?

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Cross.eyed »

Abundant life is salvation. Jn. 10:9 I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved and will come in and go out and find pasture.

Jn. 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck then out of my hand. K.J.V.
The Apologetics Bible wrote:
In context, this is no promise of health, wealth, or easy living by worldly standards.
Abundant life is eternal life with God.

FL, you are so handy thanks for the tip!
I am the wretch the song refers to.
Lufia
Recognized Member

Post by Lufia »

But if it means 'only' eternal life why did He said it twice? I came that they may have life, and have it to the full.

We know that in heaven we will have life 'to the full', so why say it another time in the same sentence? I'm not so sure it means eternal life, but i sure can be wrong. For me it means that if i accept Christ, i'll have plenty of fruits and because of that i'll enjoy life to the fullest. Does it make sense?
YLTYLT
Established Member

Post by YLTYLT »

That is a good point that it says it twice.

This is how I view it, keeping in mind I am just a man and could be wrong:

The first time is referring to justification. The second time is referring to rewards given to those Christians that finish their race. This is the sanctification process. We are saved(justified) by grace though faith. But we also serve(sanctified) by grace through faith.

To finish your race:
1. Know what you spiritual gifts are and use them.
2. And don't quit.

If you are using your spiritual gifts, then you are contributing to either building or edifying the Church.

Those that finish their race will rule and reign with Christ. They won't just inherit heaven, they will inherit ALL things. (Revelation 21:7;Matthew 5:5)

Not all Christians will rule and reign with Christ, only those that finish their race, but that does not mean those that do not finish their race are not saved. But they will have regrets for not having served God in the way they know they should have. But after the 1000 year reign of Christ "all tears will be wiped away".

There are 2 types of overcoming in the Bible.
1 John 5:5
Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

Revelation 2:11
He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.
These verses above speak of overcoming to be saved.
Revelation 3:21
To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
But Jesus overcame as well. But He did not need to be saved.??? So it must mean something different in this context.
Those Christians that overcome, as HE overcame - the world, the devil, and the flesh - by grace through faith,...
Revelation 2:26
And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:
and stay in their race...
Revelation 21:7
He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.
shall inherit all things.

:amen:
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

YLT nailed it. All that is especially visible if you look at the context. Jesus is the "door" (or "gate"). Yes, we can certainly go "in" for salvation, and we think of that as justification, but it is more than that, because Jesus says, "will come in and go out, and find pasture." We're talking about a lot more than just "going to heaven."

Against this, the thief comes to kill (gk. thusa, probably a play on words against "door", gk. thura), steal, and destroy. So, in Jesus, you are "safe" from those dangers. Jesus, therefore, came to give life, but to even give it more abundantly, that is, to experience the joy and rest of that salvation.

Pressing the point, Jesus says that He is the Good Shepherd. A hired hand WON'T protect the sheep from evil, but He will. And how far will He go? He will give His life and then "take it up again." This shows both His desire to protect His children as well as His power and authority to do so.

So, again, as YLT said, the abundant life is a life of joy with the Shepherd. It isn't just going to heaven, although it certainly includes that. It's finding rest and peace and joy, all the things that the rest of Scripture tells us is through the process of sanctification.

God bless
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
YLTYLT
Established Member

Post by YLTYLT »

Jac3510
Thanks for the encouraging words....

Jeff
Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Cross.eyed »

Good post YLT. I appreciate it.

While searching scripture before posting, my thinking was elsewhere. You are correct ; there are two ways of "overcoming" (or being the victor) and you explained it well using scripture as evidence.

My apologies to you Lufia for my being so shortsighted, I'm delighted Jac and YLT answered your post.

Jac, I owe you an apology also, when I first read your post I was thinking it was a bit too syrupy for me but I read it again twice more and realized it was my own cloudy thinking. :oops:

I've been having some emotional afflictions lately and I needed to be reminded of the joy and peace of Christ in this life.

Indeed God does work in mysterous ways.

Thanks.
I am the wretch the song refers to.
Lufia
Recognized Member

Post by Lufia »

Thanks to all of you

No offense Cross eyed