It's time to start some friction.....

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Poetic_Soul
Established Member
Christian: No

It's time to start some friction.....

Post by Poetic_Soul »

The bible says BE FRUITFUL AND MULTIPLY.....Did Mary follow this blessing from God or did she maintain her virginity after the birth of CHIST?
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

Not sure if this is a trick question.. At any rate, there's James who would seem to be Jesus' younger brother. Other passages refer to Jesus' brothers, but they might be argued to be referring to brothers in Christ. Check out the scriptures referenced on this page: http://www.bibletexts.com/qa/qa055.htm
Poetic_Soul
Established Member

Post by Poetic_Soul »

Most if not all of the catholic faith believes Mary died a virgin with just the birth of Jesus. I would think that it would be unfair to Joseph and Mary not to constimate their marriage. Women were shamed if they were unbarren. The bible also says that Joseph did not know his wife until after Jesus was born.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

Jesus called people brother, but when James is called a brother, it is by the author of the book, correct? (James son of Jesus or something like that) I haven't read otherwise.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

Poetic_Soul wrote:Most if not all of the catholic faith believes Mary died a virgin with just the birth of Jesus.
Ya? What do they say about the passages presented in that link?

The verse is in Galations, KM.
Poetic_Soul
Established Member

Post by Poetic_Soul »

Matthew 1:24-25 - "And Joseph arose from his sleep, and did as the angel of the Lord commanded him, and took as his wife, and kept her a virgin until she gave birth to a Son; and he called His name Jesus."
Matthew 12:46-47 - "While He was still speaking to the multitudes, behold, His mother and brothers were standing outside, seeking to speak to Him. And someone said to Him, "Behold, Your mother and Your brothers are standing outside seeking to speak to You."
Matthew 13:55 - "Is not this the carpenter's son? Is not His mother called Mary, and His brothers, James and Joseph and Simon and Judas?"
Mark 6:2-3 - "And when the Sabbath had come, He began to teach in the synagogue; and the many listeners were astonished, saying, "Where did this man get these things, and what is this wisdom given to Him, and such miracles as these performed by His hands? "Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, and brother of James, and Joses, and Judas, and Simon? Are not His sisters here with us?"
John 2:12 - "After this He went down to Capernaum, He and His mother, and His brothers, and His disciples; and there they stayed a few days."
Acts 1:14 - "These all with one mind were continually devoting themselves to prayer, along with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with His brothers."
1 Cor. 9:4-5 - "Do we not have a right to eat and drink? Do we not have a right to take along a believing wife, even as the rest of the apostles, and the brothers of the Lord, and Cephas?"
Gal. 1:19 - "But I did not see any other of the apostles except James, the Lord's brother."
Poetic_Soul
Established Member

Post by Poetic_Soul »

You notice that Joseph kept her a virgin until Jesus was born?
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

Poetic_Soul wrote:You notice that Joseph kept her a virgin until Jesus was born?
Ya. Obviously she had to be a virgin when Jesus was born; otherwise the entire Christian faith would collapse.

The original question was how Catholics thought that Mary died a virgin.

Regardles, I'm not sure what you're getting at with this whole thread...???
Poetic_Soul
Established Member

Post by Poetic_Soul »

I was just throwing a theory out there about the concept of Mary's virginity. In some peoples eyes they still see her as a virgin. Where as others see her as the mother of God. The christian faith is based on the virgin birth only. I was just trying to be thought provoking.