What's in a name?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

What's in a name?

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

After a series of private messages with a member of this Forum who was wondering about my nickname - Furstentum Liechtenstein - I started wondering why you chose your nickname. I'll go first:

Why my nickname?

My wife & I travel to Europe, usually every summer. My favorite country there is Fürstentum Liechtenstein, the Principality of Liechtenstein. We spent part of our honeymoon there as well. Liechtenstein is also the last vestige of the Holy Roman Empire...I liked that idea! That's it, that's all there is to it.

Your turn.
Last edited by Furstentum Liechtenstein on Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: What's in a name?

Post by cslewislover »

Well, mine's kind-of obvious. Because I wish I had been CS Lewis' wife!! Just kidding (really). I look forward to reading some other people's explanations, though, since I wonder about quite a few.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
zoegirl
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

Mine is simple. Zoe is my dog's name and sometimes I call her zoegirl (plus there already was a zoe on the members list :esurprised: )
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Sex: Male

Post by Cross.eyed »

Mine comes from a Christian tee-shirt (my favorite) denoting Hebrews 12:2.
There are many verses in the Bible that I love but this one jumps out at me.
I am the wretch the song refers to.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Canuckster is such a variation of Canuck which is slang for a Canadian, or a Hockey Team from Vancouver. I'm not from BC orgiginally so I mean it generically. I've lived in the US for 30 years so it's just a small way of maintaining an identity to where I grew up.

1127 is my birthday; Nov 27.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Mine is the name of the tiny city in Mount Lebanon where I was born and raised. The name origin is Greek, meaning a book or the book, and thought to be the origin of the English word 'Bible' (another reason why I chose it). The city was so named because of the many papyruses found in the city, left by the Phoenicians, one of the earliest civilizations thought to have invented the alphabet.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
JC333
Recognized Member

Post by JC333 »

I just used my name that I use for Xbox live (send me an invite if you want to fight me sometime, but I rarely go on anymore)

JC doesn't stand for anything.

333 sort of flows with JC so that's why I chose 333.

And believe it or not, I came up with this name B.C. in my life (before Christ) so JC doesn't stand for Jesus Christ and 333 doesn't stand for 3 being God's number.

Kind of a cool coincidence though y>:D<
Lufia
Recognized Member

Post by Lufia »

Mine is from an old nintendo game 32 bits. It is a character from that role playing game. I love that name and on Internet i oftenly use it. I'm also with that name on x-box live Lufia6929.
Seraph
Christian: No
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Seraph »

Mine is the name of the heavenly beings mentioned in Isaiah's vision in Isaiah 6:2.

They are also the highest choir of angels in the angelology hierarchy, even though I think that whole belief system is man made.

I don't know, I think its a cool name and It's my screen name on a lot of forums, though I also use Viper on some of them.
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

So far, all of my assumptions about your nicknames - except one - have been wrong!

-cslewislover...I thought you simply enjoyed reading C.S. Lewis;
-zoegirl...there is a Christian music artist/group named Zoe...I thought you were a fan;
-cross.eyed...I thought you simply had crooked eyes!
-Byblos...I thought you were a bookworm;
-JC333...I thought this was some code;
-Lufia...je pensais que c'était ton nom; (I thought this was your name)
-Seraph...I thought you were a Rolls fan (Rolls Royce Silver Seraph)

Only Canuckster I had figured...it figures, I'm Canuck myself!

There are more of you out there...keep them coming!
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:-Byblos...I thought you were a bookworm;
Well, you're not that far off then. I do read a lot.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Byblos wrote:Mine is the name of the tiny city in Mount Lebanon where I was born and raised.
If you have GoogleEarth, type in «Byblos, Lebanon» and the system will take you right there. There are also many photos of street scenes in Byblos available by clicking on the blue dots.

+ + +

+ + +
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Byblos wrote:Mine is the name of the tiny city in Mount Lebanon where I was born and raised.
If you have GoogleEarth, type in «Byblos, Lebanon» and the system will take you right there. There are also many photos of street scenes in Byblos available by clicking on the blue dots.
Yes, I do that quite often when I'm feeling nostalgic. I can even spot my house atop the mountain and sometimes wonder if I could see my mother watering the flowers in the garden. She still lives there.

Swamper
Valued Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Swamper »

Mine is derived from my last name, Swanson. In the eighth grade some of my friends gave me the nickname Swanbird, which carried on over into high school (and some people still call me that today). Anyway, in my 10th grade theater class, I was doing a skit with a friend of mine and we decided to use my nickname Swanbird in the skit. The teacher heard it wrong and started calling me Swamper. It's kind of stuck with me ever since.

And here you were expecting something to do with a swamp. Fooled ya. :D
God's in his Heaven, all's right with the world.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

I looked at your profile, Swamper. You must eat vegetables. They are good for you. Didn´t your mother tell you that?

FL

+ + +

+ + +