A HAUNTING

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
smileitscarleeX
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

A HAUNTING

Post by smileitscarleeX »

So, as I recall, I was flipping through the TV stations and came by The Discovery Channel. The show "A Haunting" was on. It was the first time I had ever seen let alone heard of this show. I ended up watching the entire one-hour episode however, I was utterly confused at the end. A Haunting is a show that tells "true" (I used " " since you can never tell what's true on TV anymore) stories of people who have had paranormal experiences. In the episode I watched, A house a "under attack" from demonic spirits I think. Then this little kid was possessed. An exorcisim (spelling is wrong) occurred at the ending, saving the little boy.

I am a Christian with a strong relationship with Christ. However, things such as evil I don't quite understand fully.
Are ghosts or... demonic ghosts real?
Are ghosts real? or evil ghosts?
Is it bad for me as a Christian to watch a show like "A HAUNTING"?
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: A HAUNTING

Post by jenna »

Yes, ghosts are real. However, they (IMO) are not the spirits of dead people. They are actually demons, deceiving those who don't know the truth, into believing that the spirit lives on after death, and can be "trapped" here on earth. While I don't necessarily think it's wrong to watch some shows, it may be if one actually starts believing that ghosts are actually the spirits of humans who have died. They aren't!
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
Seraph
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Seraph »

I would like to see proof that ghosts are real...

Also no, i don't think that theres any problem with watching a show about ghosts. I doubt that any of it is true, people make up stories like that all the time for profit, but its not like its horrible for a person to watch them :lol:
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Cross.eyed »

Hi smileitscarleex, welcome to the board. :wave:

I'm not aware of any scientific verification of ghosts but the Bible gives at least one account-the ghost (or spirit) of Samuel.

Concerning your question of whether or not to watch these type of shows, I think it would depend on your own frame of mind. If you were to consider them cult like for example, it would be wise I think, just to avoid them. I have watched a few just out of curiousness and soon found them boring. You are right about what is "true" on T.V. anymore and remember if it is on T.V., someone is making money from it and the producers will air whatever people will watch reguardless of truth content.

Let the Holy Spirit be your guide and He will never lead you astray.
I am the wretch the song refers to.
smileitscarleeX
Newbie Member

Post by smileitscarleeX »

thank you all for your help (:
TheFlyingChristian
Familiar Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by TheFlyingChristian »

I suggest people to watch this video from World's Last Chance.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ1b1NyyQIY

According to the video, souls of dead people are still present but I don't think they should hunt you because death is the end term of human lives, God wouldn't allow these souls to hunt us after their death.

So with this logic, I suppose these manifestations are demonic.
Seraph
Christian: No
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Seraph »

Im sorry but videos like that really bug me. They affirm the idea that Christians love to preach with fire and brimstone. What good can that possibly do? Plus, whats wth that music? :roll:

Back on topic, I do not believe in ghosts or human souls wandering the earth. The bible makes it seem much more likely that either A) the person's consciousness or soul has already gone off to Heaven or Hell. Or B) the person is "dead" untill the ressurection. I don't think that it gives any impression that human souls wander the earth, much less haunt people.
Again, lots of frauds out there...
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
agapomai
Newbie Member

Post by agapomai »

Deuteronomy 18:9-13 (New International Version)
Detestable Practices
9 When you enter the land the LORD your God is giving you, do not learn to imitate the detestable ways of the nations there. 10 Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in [a] the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, 11 or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. 12 Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD, and because of these detestable practices the LORD your God will drive out those nations before you. 13 You must be blameless before the LORD your God.
hey all, i'm new and here's my 2 cents on the situation.
ok, i read this and become a bit skeptical that spirits may be able to be communicated with or be summoned. but i guess i hold kind of a hybrid belief on it all. i think that they can be summoned (we should not be doing that as christians, but i think it can be done), or even possibly be free-roaming, i dont understand the spirit world, so i can never say for sure. but i do think that demons pose as spirits to distract from the truth of the gospel, because since the bible isn't conclusive on that subject it makes the bible look like a lie if ALL people just roam around in the spirit world.
hopefully that makes sense!
JCSx2
Valued Member

Post by JCSx2 »

I agree...
jenna wrote:Yes, ghosts are real. However, they (IMO) are not the spirits of dead people. They are actually demons, deceiving those who don't know the truth, into believing that the spirit lives on after death, and can be "trapped" here on earth. While I don't necessarily think it's wrong to watch some shows, it may be if one actually starts believing that ghosts are actually the spirits of humans who have died. They aren't!
Definition of a Veteran. A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including his life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by BavarianWheels »

JCSx2 wrote:I agree...
jenna wrote:Yes, ghosts are real. However, they (IMO) are not the spirits of dead people. They are actually demons, deceiving those who don't know the truth, into believing that the spirit lives on after death, and can be "trapped" here on earth. While I don't necessarily think it's wrong to watch some shows, it may be if one actually starts believing that ghosts are actually the spirits of humans who have died. They aren't!
From some of the arguments in other areas of this forum, most of the Christians here believe quite the opposite...I'm with you also on this belief, Jenna. :)
ADifferentKindOf
Newbie Member

Post by ADifferentKindOf »

Hi Everyone! I'm new here but I had to post on this, because I watched the same episode and had to turn it off because it was so unsettling.

I used to watch stuff like that all the time (even as a Christian) until I had an encounter with a very scary thing in my parents house that I can only describe as evil. Since then, I advise you watch, read about, research these things carefully as you open yourself up to the unknown. I don't believe human spirits are on earth, but a residual energy must stay on as energy can neither be created or destroyed. Whatever these people are seeing must be demonic from my point of view. And it's ok to be interested in these things, humans are fallible and while we wish to have the perfect faith there will be times when all will wonder. That is what makes our decisions on faith so important. Choice.