Why does God blesses the unbelievers?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
oniemalixi
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Why does God blesses the unbelievers?

Post by oniemalixi »

Why dose God blesses the unbelievers? Why does God allows good things to happen to unbelievers and let bad things happen to believers?
Seraph
Christian: No
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Why does God blesses the unbelievers?

Post by Seraph »

Personally, I don't think God would be very good and holy if He did nothing but bless believers and curse unbelievers like an oppressive dictator or something.

That aside, to my understanding God lets bad things happen to His followers because it strengthens us. We become stronger and smarter beings when we overcome tough obstacles in life. I think that in the long run, God sort of refines us to be more like Him through hardships.

I think it should be obvious why God lets good things happen to unbelievers. Although they don't follow Him, they are still His creations, which He cares deeply for.

Those are my two cents, sorry I don't have specific verses to back my claims although I think the basic ideas are pretty rampant throughout the entire Bible :P
Last edited by Seraph on Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

oniemalixi wrote:Why dose God blesses the unbelievers? Why does God allows good things to happen to unbelievers and let bad things happen to believers?
Why would God show partiality when he loves believers and unbelievers alike? In fact, I can muster Scriptural evidence that God will actually place Christians through trials. This idea that once we come to Him life is meant to be all rosy I can not find in Scripture. Certainly God may bless us, but we are not promises a hedonistic life until we die. Once we give our life to God then we are in His hands and His bidding ought to be ours not our biddings His.
  • 1 Peter 1:6:-7
    "... though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. 7These have come so that your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed."
oscarsiziba
Recognized Member

Post by oscarsiziba »

What makes you think that God is blessing them/Even the devil has rewards that he gives to those that do His bidding.Am not saying God selects,but that it's not everything that we perceive is from God that comes from Him.The devil also answers prayers!
Like Balaam, they are angry at those who would prevent their ruin.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

oscarsiziba wrote:What makes you think that God is blessing them/Even the devil has rewards that he gives to those that do His bidding.Am not saying God selects,but that it's not everything that we perceive is from God that comes from Him.The devil also answers prayers!
So are you saying that you pray to the devil?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

I'm not sure that it's biblically sound to say that blessings unbelievers recieve come from the devil or that he answers prayers. I think that that's giving the devil a little too much credit and it seems to imply that God not only doesn't, but doesn't even want to bless people who haven't given their lives to Him.
Huh? I don't think he implied that.
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

Seraph wrote:I'm not sure that it's biblically sound to say that blessings unbelievers recieve come from the devil or that he answers prayers. I think that that's giving the devil a little too much credit and it seems to imply that God not only doesn't, but doesn't even want to bless people who haven't given their lives to Him.
Huh? I don't think he implied that.

I agree with you, Seraph. I think that to say that the devil answers prayers gives him way more power than he has in the events of the universe.

Scripture says that "no plan of GOD's can be thwarted" and while Satan and his minions can tempt and "prowls like the roaring lion" I think his power stops at granting prayers or providing blessings...this would be akin to ordering the universe, a feat only God can do. Although Satan is the great deciever, he cannot compare to God's power and might!

"One little word can fell him!!"
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

zoegirl wrote: I agree with you, Seraph. I think that to say that the devil answers prayers gives him way more power than he has in the events of the universe.

Scripture says that "no plan of GOD's can be thwarted" and while Satan and his minions can tempt and "prowls like the roaring lion" I think his power stops at granting prayers or providing blessings...this would be akin to ordering the universe, a feat only God can do. Although Satan is the great deciever, he cannot compare to God's power and might!

Amen!
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

B. W. wrote:
zoegirl wrote: I agree with you, Seraph. I think that to say that the devil answers prayers gives him way more power than he has in the events of the universe.

Amen!
-
-
-
Couldn't have said it better :ebiggrin:
JesusSmiles
Familiar Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by JesusSmiles »

Considering our journey on earth is only a tiny spec of time in relation to eternity....I'm not sure unbelievers have that much of a blessing. They may have lots of 'stuff' and a few parties....but that is all an unbeliever has unless they become a believer and change their circumstances.

Just a thought...............
God is Great, and therefore He will be sought.
Good is Good, and therefore He will be found.
Anonymous
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

This is very true
TheFlyingChristian
Familiar Member

Post by TheFlyingChristian »

God also blesses the believers and even more greatly than the unbelievers, knowing that the Holy Spirit is a gift given to man, a lot of Christians receive the Spirit as a gift even though you can prove Christianity through reason only the Spirit can get you to God and make a difference.

I suggest you read Deuteronomy 28
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?bo ... version=31

God bless.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

TheFlyingChristian wrote:God also blesses the believers and even more greatly than the unbelievers, knowing that the Holy Spirit is a gift given to man, a lot of Christians receive the Spirit as a gift even though you can prove Christianity through reason only the Spirit can get you to God and make a difference.

I suggest you read Deuteronomy 28
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?bo ... version=31

God bless.
Hi Fly,

I see your point, but I think we also need to be careful on whom we think God blesses or not. From scripture it is pretty clear that God is no respecter of persons.

Ephesians 6:9 And, ye masters, do the same things unto them, forbearing threatening: knowing that your Master also is in heaven; neither is there respect of persons with him.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

oniemalixi wrote:Why dose God blesses the unbelievers? Why does God allows good things to happen to unbelievers and let bad things happen to believers?
As to why God blesses unbelievers Wiki has an article for the theological term, Common Grace.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_grace

Why God allows bad things to happen to believers? Bad from whose perspective? Is there anything bad that can happen to a believer whose ultimate destination is eternity with God? Anything in God's plan that we don't understand that appears negative is temporal. Anything bad, from our perspective, has no real meaning when compared to eternity with Christ.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Canuckster1127 wrote:Why God allows bad things to happen to believers? Bad from whose perspective? Is there anything bad that can happen to a believer whose ultimate destination is eternity with God? Anything in God's plan that we don't understand that appears negative is temporal. Anything bad, from our perspective, has no real meaning when compared to eternity with Christ.
I hope to see my father again as you probably do too Bart and B.W.. I truly miss him... You are right. And what a greater appreciation we will have when one day that which was lost will be returned once back to us again. You can't appreciate the sweet until you taste the bitter....
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8