Christians who committ suicide

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
phiver4
Familiar Member

Christians who committ suicide

Post by phiver4 »

I have always wondered about someone who has given their life to Christ and later on commits suicide. Is this forgivable in God's eyes?
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Christians who committ suicide

Post by BavarianWheels »

phiver4 wrote:I have always wondered about someone who has given their life to Christ and later on commits suicide. Is this forgivable in God's eyes?
Don't quite know.
Samson basically committed suicide...didn't he?
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

phiver4 wrote:I have always wondered about someone who has given their life to Christ and later on commits suicide. Is this forgivable in God's eyes?
I find no reason in Scripture to assume that this is an unforgivable sin. That certainly doesn't condone it however.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Cross.eyed »

Canuckster1127 wrote:
I find no reason in Scripture to assume that this is an unforgivable sin. That certainly doesn't condone it however.
I agree and some may disagree with this- isn't it possible that a person can be forgiven before committing a sin?
I am the wretch the song refers to.
FFC
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

Cross.eyed wrote:
Canuckster1127 wrote:
I agree and some may disagree with this- isn't it possible that a person can be forgiven before committing a sin?
Yeah, like when we are saved and God forgives us for sins: past, present, and future?
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

FFC wrote:
Cross.eyed wrote:
Canuckster1127 wrote:
Yeah, like when we are saved and God forgives us for sins: past, present, and future?
In one sense all sins forgiven find their source in one point in time, namely the death and resurrection of Christ. In another sense there is indication in Scripture that there are believers who are saved and yet they are saved by the skin of their teeth, or like being snatched at the last second out of a fire. While salavation I don't believe is an issue for believers sin, there is an issue of reward and a sense of loss or shame when we stand before Christ. I see suicide and any other numbers of willful rebellion against God by believers as falling into this category.

We don't lose our salvation. It does have consequences however, now and in the future.

Positionally and practically there are different issues.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
FFC

Post by FFC »

Canuckster1127 wrote:
FFC wrote:
Cross.eyed wrote:
Canuckster1127 wrote:
In one sense all sins forgiven find their source in one point in time, namely the death and resurrection of Christ. In another sense there is indication in Scripture that there are believers who are saved and yet they are saved by the skin of their teeth, or like being snatched at the last second out of a fire. While salavation I don't believe is an issue for believers sin, there is an issue of reward and a sense of loss or shame when we stand before Christ. I see suicide and any other numbers of willful rebellion against God by believers as falling into this category.

We don't lose our salvation. It does have consequences however, now and in the future.

Positionally and practically there are different issues.
Absolutely! Otherwise there would be no reason to walk in God's ways or confess our sins when we blow it. Sanctification is a lifelong process.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

7trumpets
Familiar Member

Post by 7trumpets »

Its falls under "murder," for its premeditating and killing a child of GOD. Guess who the first one is that they face? It isn't Saint Peter!
FFC

Post by FFC »

7trumpets wrote:
Its falls under "murder," for its premeditating and killing a child of GOD. Guess who the first one is that they face? It isn't Saint Peter!
Thankfully as a child of God it is He that we face and not another human being like ourselves. David and Moses, two titans of the faith, were both guilty of premeditated murder, but God forgave them and used them because He knew the true condition of their hearts and that they (their hearts) were towards Him. Everybody screws up big sometimes...some of us most of the time. Thankfully we have a big God with a lot of grace. Where sin abounds, grace does much more abound.

BavarianWheels
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by BavarianWheels »

7trumpets wrote:
I understand this can be seen as such, but I cannot rule out totally the above comments and would more likely side with them than this.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

7trumpets wrote:
There will be muderers in heaven. The first one they face may be King David.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Yes, it is forgivable. Why wouldn't it be?

However, an extreme works-based theology would argue that a person committing suicide shows they really weren't Christian, just as one not continuing in good works would show a person is not really Christian.

Opposite this would be a grace-based theology would argue that forgiveness is completed once and for all in Christ. As such, it is no longer an issue of sin that separates us from God, but rather an issue of whether we accept such forgiveness and Christ through whom it is offered.

I believe we are all forgiven - Christian and non-Christian alike. God's forgiveness through Christ has atoned for any and all sin. Therefore, if someone is so emotionally or psychologically distraught to the extent they take their own life, then it does not matter, for since Christ died for us sin is no longer the issue that separates us from God. This is certainly good news (gospel).
7trumpets
Familiar Member

Post by 7trumpets »

Canuckster1127 wrote:
7trumpets wrote:
There will be muderers in heaven. The first one they face may be King David.
:roll: You cannot kill a spiritual body, only GOD can blot out. The first one they face is GOD.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

I have to ask - phiver4 - are you personally thinking of such a course for yourself or known someone who has?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
phiver4
Familiar Member

Post by phiver4 »

B. W. wrote:
I have to ask - phiver4 - are you personally thinking of such a course for yourself or known someone who has?
-
-
-
B.W.
Me? not at all. I have personally known people who have and this question has always perplexed me as it is not addressed (as far as I can find) in the Bible.