Happy Birthday Kurieuo!!!

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Re: Happy Birthday Kurieuo!!!

Post by Judah »

You're a mess WITH your spell check too! :pound:
Americans can't spell in English to save themselves... missing out letters, getting them the wrong way around, etc. :poke:
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by BavarianWheels »

Judah wrote:You're a mess WITH your spell check too! :pound:
Americans can't spell in English to save themselves... missing out letters, getting them the wrong way around, etc. :poke:
While this may be true...that some miss letters when typing...it is only the west coast Americans that speak the English language as it is intended...Southern California specifically.

I've heard many Aussies and a few Brits pronounce "Schedule" as Shhh-ed-jewel, and pronounce "School" as Sk-oo-l.

How is that? Why is it not "Shhh-OO-L"?

I've also heard "Patio" pronouced Pay-shhee -O...

Some Brits and/or Aussies...esplain. :)
Judah
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Judah »

Ah-ah, NO! You are not missing letters out (or switching them around) as typos, but because you have Americanised the English language.
Look at the following words and see what I mean... favourite, honour, flavour, savour, saviour, programme, centre, metre, colour. And those are just a few off the top of my head. This is English as it is written correctly - before Americans altered it to their own way, and still now after they have! Brits, Kiwis, Aussies write in English, not in American.

English is a language with words originating from many other languages over time, and thus the crazy looking spellings and pronunciations. Some letters are silent ones in one word, but not in another. "School" comes from Old English, whereas "schedule" comes from the Latin. There is a lack of consistency that make it a tricky language for others, for whom it is not their mother tongue, to learn. Pronunciations often depend on region, and on education, and on social class or status. Inconsistency also occurs where the rules get mixed, especially as one region merges into another.

But if you wish to speak "the Queen's English", the measure of spoken English, then you need to listen to Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth. Californians speak American, and actually are recognizable as such even before they open their mouths. If you want to spell in English, rather than in the American alterations, then you will make those spelling corrections as I have listed above. And those are but a few! :)
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

BavarianWheels wrote:
While this may be true...that some miss letters when typing...it is only the west coast Americans that speak the English language as it is intended...Southern California specifically.

I've heard many Aussies and a few Brits pronounce "Schedule" as Shhh-ed-jewel, and pronounce "School" as Sk-oo-l.

How is that? Why is it not "Shhh-OO-L"?

I've also heard "Patio" pronouced Pay-shhee -O...

Some Brits and/or Aussies...esplain. :)
Righteous Post, DUDE!!!!! :mrgreen: :pound: 8-}2
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Cross.eyed »

Happy Belated Birthday Kurieuo!
BTW our Grandbaby is my "Bub" too. :wave:
I am the wretch the song refers to.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

BavarianWheels wrote:While this may be true...that some miss letters when typing...it is only the west coast Americans that speak the English language as it is intended...Southern California specifically.
Southern California has got the English language down? Well for the record, those Southern California types are for the most part guilty for electing a governor (you know who) who can barely pronounce the name California. Next thing you know we will all be saying "Caliy-forna." :pound:
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Ouch... It's time to drive off in my lorry. Hey, I got that one right huh? :P

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

Judah wrote:Ah-ah, NO! You are not missing letters out (or switching them around) as typos, but because you have Americanised the English language.
Look at the following words and see what I mean... favourite, honour, flavour, savour, saviour, programme, centre, metre, colour. And those are just a few off the top of my head. This is English as it is written correctly - before Americans altered it to their own way, and still now after they have! Brits, Kiwis, Aussies write in English, not in American.
The more interesting fact about those words is that none are affected in pronunciation omitting the 'u' within the word or the 'e' at the end of the word. I suppose our "Americanized" English simply did away with that which is just fluff. :mrgreen:

...and for the record...I happen to look forward to Arnold uttering the word California. It makes me smile to hear him pronounce it. At least he has a good excuse for "mis-pronouncing" the word coming from a totally different language. :wave:
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

BavarianWheels wrote:...and for the record...I happen to look forward to Arnold uttering the word California. It makes me smile to hear him pronounce it. At least he has a good excuse for "mis-pronouncing" the word coming from a totally different language. :wave:

That's nice.... The problem here however is that Arnold has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the state, rather than German which was the other possibility. As part of the negotiations, The Terminator's Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5-year phase-in plan that would become known as "Austro-English" (or, if nobody will be offended, "Austrionics")..In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favor of the "k". This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have one less letter. There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with the "f". This will make words like fotograf 20% shorter. In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horibl mes of the silent "e" in the languag is disgrasful and it should go away. By the 4th yer peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w"with "v". During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech oza. Ze drem of a united urop vil finali kum tru. If zis mad yu smil, pleas pas it on to oza pepl.

Next thing you know you are speaking German... :wave:

jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

Gman wrote:
BavarianWheels wrote:...and for the record...I happen to look forward to Arnold uttering the word California. It makes me smile to hear him pronounce it. At least he has a good excuse for "mis-pronouncing" the word coming from a totally different language. :wave:

That's nice.... The problem here however is that Arnold has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the state, rather than German which was the other possibility. As part of the negotiations, The Terminator's Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5-year phase-in plan that would become known as "Austro-English" (or, if nobody will be offended, "Austrionics")..In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favor of the "k". This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have one less letter. There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with the "f". This will make words like fotograf 20% shorter. In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horibl mes of the silent "e" in the languag is disgrasful and it should go away. By the 4th yer peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w"with "v". During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech oza. Ze drem of a united urop vil finali kum tru. If zis mad yu smil, pleas pas it on to oza pepl.

y:O2 :pound:
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

now *that* was worth the trouble of reading!!!

:pound:
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Judah
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Judah »

:esurprised:

:shijacked:

:knitting:

Ongoing birthday greetings, K! :roses:
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

:dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :harp:

FFC
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

The more interesting fact about those words is that none are affected in pronunciation omitting the 'u' within the word or the 'e' at the end of the word. I suppose our "Americanized" English simply did away with that which is just fluff.
Thank you.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Swamper
Valued Member

Post by Swamper »

Gman wrote:

Um...the "e" in "language" isn't superfluous... :egeek:
God's in his Heaven, all's right with the world.