Question on Salvation/Belief in Christ

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
dukefan1989
Newbie Member

Question on Salvation/Belief in Christ

Post by dukefan1989 »

I heard a minister ask this question, and I wanted to pass it on here.

Do we believe because we are sheep?

OR

Are we sheep because we believe?

Just wanted to hear your thoughts...

Thanks!
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: Question on Salvation/Belief in Christ

Post by jenna »

My take on this is that Christ is the shepherd, so I am a sheep because I believe in Him. And I believe in Him because I am a sheep, who follows the shepherd. :D
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

dukefan1989 wrote:I heard a minister ask this question, and I wanted to pass it on here.

Do we believe because we are sheep?

OR

Are we sheep because we believe?

Just wanted to hear your thoughts...

Thanks!
This begs the question if sheep is equivocated to mean the same thing in both cases since one is a part of the "sheep" no matter how they answer.

If it means two different things in either case, then it is an OR question is not applicable.

Such a question isn't in my opinion clever or remarkable and while I could take a few stabs I don't really know what the point of it is.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

I think the point is are we sheep or sheep? Maybe? :?
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
Judah
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Judah »

Metaphorically, yes to both.
Anatomically, no to both.

Now my brain hurts... :roll:
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Judah wrote:Metaphorically, yes to both.
Anatomically, no to both.

Now my brain hurts... :roll:

Well, all I can say is baaa-aaa-aaaa....
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

jenwat3 wrote:My take on this is that Christ is the shepherd, so I am a sheep because I believe in Him. And I believe in Him because I am a sheep, who follows the shepherd. :D
Very good. I agree. His sheep hear His voice and they folow Him.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

And we follow Him because we are His sheep! As stated above, baaa baaa. 8)
FFC

Post by FFC »

jenwat3 wrote:And we follow Him because we are His sheep! As stated above, baaa baaa. 8)
Exactly...so really, both answers are right! :o
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Sounds like a typical Calvinist debate type question? As one preacher said here in Riverdale, Georgia:

"You weren't saved because you believed. You believed because you were saved!"

To the OP, I believe we become Christ's when we believe, not before.

God bless
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
oscarsiziba
Recognized Member

Post by oscarsiziba »

Christ is always the shepherd whether we choose to follow Him or not- and to refuse following Him de-sheeps us and makes us goats,bad sheeps in other words.We are created with an inclination to become goats(sin is our veins),but Christ died that we defeat the goatish feeling and assert our (true)sheep nature.
Like Balaam, they are angry at those who would prevent their ruin.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

oscarsiziba wrote:Christ is always the shepherd whether we choose to follow Him or not- and to refuse following Him de-sheeps us and makes us goats,bad sheeps in other words.We are created with an inclination to become goats(sin is our veins),but Christ died that we defeat the goatish feeling and assert our (true)sheep nature.
What I see is that He is faithful even when we're not. Where does it say we are de-sheeped?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
FFC

Post by FFC »

Byblos wrote:
oscarsiziba wrote:Christ is always the shepherd whether we choose to follow Him or not- and to refuse following Him de-sheeps us and makes us goats,bad sheeps in other words.We are created with an inclination to become goats(sin is our veins),but Christ died that we defeat the goatish feeling and assert our (true)sheep nature.
What I see is that He is faithful even when we're not. Where does it say we are de-sheeped?
I think we are either sheep or goats from the start and only God knows which until we hear His voice and come to Him.

Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Cross.eyed »

FFC wrote:
jenwat3 wrote:My take on this is that Christ is the shepherd, so I am a sheep because I believe in Him. And I believe in Him because I am a sheep, who follows the shepherd. :D
Very good. I agree. His sheep hear His voice and they folow Him.
DITTO...........bah bah bah baaaaaaaaaaaa!
I am the wretch the song refers to.
Cook
Familiar Member

Post by Cook »

I think we are either sheep or goats from the start and only God knows which until we hear His voice and come to Him.
IMO God only sees sheep, it's just some are close, and some have strayed. No matter to what distance someone has strayed, it's not His will that they are lost, He is still looking to bring them back to the flock even if they aren't thinking about coming to the flock or listening to him.

Matthew 18:12-14 "What do you think? If a man owns a hundred sheep, and one of them wanders away, will he not leave the ninety-nine on the hills and go to look for the one that wandered off? And if he finds it, I tell you the truth, he is happier about that one sheep than about the ninety-nine that did not wander off. In the same way your Father in heaven is not willing that any of these little ones should be lost."

Going back to the original question posed, my view is different than those expressed so far I think. I would say it's by the attitude first of the Father, how he is caring and concerned about us, that we are all "sheep". We can have the dawning realization and accept that we are in his flock but prior to that and first defining us as sheep isn't anything we've done or believed in our minds. He has first made us his by virtue of his affection and concern for us.