Please Introduce Yourself Here

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: Please Introduce Yourself Here

Post by jenna »

My story: I grew up in a Christian home, where my mother attended the WCG. My mother and father divorced when I was very young, so I only rarely got to see him. I grew up living in various states, Alabama, then Tennessee. While my mother and stepfather moved from Ala. to Tenn., I went to go live with my father for a while. While I was there, I got into smoking cigarettes. At the time, I was only about 10 or 11. at first, my dad didn't want me to smoke, but then he gave up and said if I ws going to, he would rather me do it in front of him then behind his back. Anyway, when I did return to my mother, I was extremely rebellious and didn't want to have anything to do with her "God". I was running around, having sex with any guy who looked twice at me. Basically being a ****. So, naturally, I got pregnant when I was 15. My mother sent me to a Christian "home" for pregnant teens. While I was there, it was very hard for me, since Christ was basically rammed down my throat. I gave birth to a boy, and gave him up for adoption. After returning home, I was still set in my ways, and my mother gave up and sent me back to live with my dad. I was 17. While in Florida, I met my 1st husband. After we met, we decided to leave Florida and go live in Washington. I soon found out I was pregnant again, and we got married the day before my daughter was born. To make a long story short, my husband turned out to be very abusive, both physically and mentally. So after 9 years and two children later, I walked out. At the time, I was living in Atlanta, so I simply took my girls and hopped on Greyhound to Birmingham. After arriving, I stayed at the Salvation Army for a while. While I was there, I met my husband-to-be. After having just come out of an abusive relationship, I was very bitter, angry, and scared. There were times when I would physically strike and hurt him horribly. After my divorce, we decided to marry, which my children did not want. So after a long custody battle, they went to live with their father. Just recently, my mother came to visit, and actually "introduced" me to Christ again. I started to see that even after having been away from Him for so long, He still loved me. So I accepted Him, and have been back in His word ever since. This isn't a dumb story (I hope). My feelings are that no matter how far away I got from God, I was the one who moved, not Him. He was still in the same spot, waiting for me. :amen:
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
Judah
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Judah »

Good for you, Jen. :roses:
The Shepherd goes after the lost sheep, eh? 8)
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Yes, and I was definitely lost. Thank God for His grace! :amen:
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
oscarsiziba
Recognized Member
Sex: Male

Post by oscarsiziba »

Am 24 now and grew up in a Christian home-never known my father since they divorced even before my birth.Have found a heavenly one anyway.Attended a Salvation Army boarding school where I would shed tears in imitation of what I saw others do,but after a study of the Scriptures found that I was lying to self :lol:
Dropped in the first year at varsitydue to the nature of the programme I had been offered and began some small business that I still thrive upon even today.I am recently studying towards a degree programme in ministry of the gospel,but sad for me: the truth offends many :cry:
Like Balaam, they are angry at those who would prevent their ruin.
Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Cross.eyed »

oscarsiziba wrote:Am 24 now and grew up in a Christian home-never known my father since they divorced even before my birth.Have found a heavenly one anyway.Attended a Salvation Army boarding school where I would shed tears in imitation of what I saw others do,but after a study of the Scriptures found that I was lying to self :lol:
Dropped in the first year at varsitydue to the nature of the programme I had been offered and began some small business that I still thrive upon even today.I am recently studying towards a degree programme in ministry of the gospel,but sad for me: the truth offends many :cry:
Welcome oscarsiziba, yes the truth offends lots of people but, if we can get any to listen then, as we know, the truth will set them free.

GOD Bless you for persuing the ministry I wish you a lifetime of fulfillment.
Looking forward to talking with you.
I am the wretch the song refers to.
Katabole
Valued Member

Post by Katabole »

Hi everyone. My name is Ron. I'm 39 and live in Canada. I've been a Christian most of my life. I was raised as a Catholic, but over the last 15 years I have been a member of the Shepherd's Chapel church in Gravette, Arkansas.

As a Catholic, I truly never understood very much about what the Bible actually teaches. During weekly mass, there was always a reading from the Old and New Testaments and then usually a 40 minute or so sermon based on whatever the particular priest wanted to speak about and more often than not, the sermon had nothing to do with what was written in the Bible. There were the feasts and celebration of saint's days, but the truth of what was spoken in the Bible was simply not understood. I became friends with various priests, but even they could only explain so much and I found myself disillusioned in my early twenties. I looked at life and kept asking myself, "Is this life all that there is?"

In my mid twenties I was watching TV one day and I came across the broadcast for Shepherd's Chapel. Over the years I watched every TV evangelist there is, so I decided to spend an hour watching this program, just to give it the benefit of the doubt. I thought it would just be more rehetoric from some guy who wanted me to send cash donations. I found the complete opposite.

During the last 20 minutes of the broadcast there was a question and answer session from viewers. Pastory Murray who runs the Chapel said something I found amazing. He said that Cain was the son of Satan and Eve. The first question that came into my head was, "What kind of heresey is this?" Growing up as a Catholic, I was taught that Cain was the son of Adam. Pastor Murray went on to explain the meaning of Hebrew word used for "tree" in the Genesis creation account and I was hooked. I knew that the Bible was much deeper than I ever thought or was taught. And then Pastor Murray said, if you don't believe me, then check out the meaning of the word yourself. I did and he wasn't lying.

Understanding that, along with there being three different heaven and earth ages or eons, two seperate creations of man and that the rapture theory was false, were ground breaking theological epiphanies for me. I was also amazed that he didn't ask for money. And I joined the church shortly thereafter. Jesus says, "It is written. Haven't you read?" And Paul states in the Epistles that God is not the author of confusion. So instead of depending on other people to explain what verses in the Bible actually meant, I instead studied it myself and continue to study it every day. I have yet to find one contradiction within the pages of the Bible and I now believe what the Bible says about itself: that the Word, works and way of the LORD are perfect.

As for science and God, true science easily shows the truth of a creator God. The two most brilliant genius scientists who ever lived were Isaac Newton and Albert Einstein. Newton is one of my personal heroes. After discovering the theory of gravity, developing the refracting telescope, mathematically proving the cycle of precession of the earth, explaining the spectrum and the development of colours and inventing calculus, Isaac Newton spent the last 50 years of his life studying the Bible. In his various biographies, his biographers stated that he was quite introverted, probably because he was so smart that very few people he could even relate to. I find it fascinating that a genius like Newton would study the Bible. But after reading it many times myself, there is only one reason why a genius mind like his would find it so appealing. And that is because within it's pages he found an intellect far greater than his own. The great laws of physics he discovered were put in place by God for him to discover he once said. Einstein was a Jew, but my favorite quote from him is this one: Jesus Christ is no myth for no myth contans such life. it is a travesty and a shame that in our present time there are so many arrogant scientists that claim there is no God, when there peers who were greater geniuses than they ever could hope to be, wouldn't deny Christ. I would suggest for those of you that haven't read it to read Isaac Newton's last book published posthumously entitled, "Observations on the Book of Daniel and the Book of Revelation."

I use the King James Version (KJV), not the new one because it is closer to the original Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek manuscripts, than it's predecessor the Latin Vugate or Catholic Bible. The Bible wasn't written in Latin. A modern Catholic Bible is a English Bible transcribed from the Latin language. A King James Bible is an English Bible transcribed from the Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek languages, thus there is no filter language it has to pass through. The altering of the Bible into Latin then English caused much distortion and has led to many different denomination being formed, when Paul states in 1 Cor 1, that there is not supposed to be any divisions within Christianity.

And just to note, there was origianlly a preface to the KJV by the priests and scribes that King James asked to have included in the Bible, which was never reprinted after the 1611 version. To sumarize, it is a letter from the priests saying that they have done they're best to interpret and translate the origianl languages but they may have made some mistakes. Here is a link to the letter that was included in the original.

http://www.jesus-is-lord.com/pref1611.htm

Anyways, a pleasure to meet you all. If you have any Biblical questions please ask, it keeps my mind active. I'm sure you will see various posts from me as time goes on. And I do have a favorite verse in the Bible. It is Isaiah 45:7.

Isa 45:7, I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

And that is either the most audacious statement ever made or it is the truth. Jesus said I tell you the truth and my Word is truth. And if his Word is truth, than it can not be a lie.

And as for those who don't believe that the Holy Spirit is God, Jesus slams the door shut on all doubters when he says,

John 4:24, God is a Spirit.

Peace to you all

Psalm 147:5, Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite.
There are two types of people in our world: those who believe in Christ and those who will.

If Christianity is a man-made religion, then why is its doctrine vehemently against all of man's desires?

Every one that is of the truth hears my voice. Jesus from John 18:37
Zebulon
Valued Member

Post by Zebulon »

Hello All,

My real name is Victor and I live in Quebec city, Canada. I was raised as a Catholic and remember the last time I went to church at age 7. I was a true believer and talked directly to God and Jesus (at least it seemed to me to be like it, since I was just a little boy ;o). One day my father came to us (his kids) and said that from now on, if you want to go to church you will do so by your own. He became an Atheist.

Like I have said in another post, I arrived here by typing - Is Jesus back? - in Google. During most of my life I had been somehow attracted more or less by the words of Jesus. But also by words of other people that fitted in my belief : Krisna, Plato, Hermes, Mose, Orpheus, Pythagore, Ghandi, John Lennon to name a fiew.

Why did I typed - Is Jesus back? - in Google? Because my life is changing and I know it. I actually am looking to find tools for my spirituality. I know very well the bible and mostly the New Testament. I also can see that there is two creations in the beginning of the bible and I would like to discuss issues how my interpretations are compare to others. But mostly learn and teach the best way I can.

y@};- Victor
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Welcome, Victor! You said "two creations". Please explain.
Zebulon
Valued Member

Post by Zebulon »

Jenna I posted it in a new topic : The 2 creations under Chit-chat forum.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Zebulon wrote:Jenna I posted it in a new topic : The 2 creations under Chit-chat forum.
This thread (moved to Creation Talk forum): http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... =7&t=32839
MarkyMark7
Familiar Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by MarkyMark7 »

Hello, I'm Marcus. Do to my insomnia I found this forum while researching some things. I'm 16 and I will be 17 next month. I live in Glasgow, KY but I was born in Charlotte, MI. I play Tuba and Bass Guitar. I'm a Non-Denominational Protestant, and I hope to attend Wheaton College after high school graduation and study Biblical Archaeology. Don't know what else to put.
A Quote from Prince Caspian (Aslan speaking to Caspian): "You come from of the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve, and that is both honor enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperors on earth. Be content."

Sorry if I offend you in an apologetical discussion, I can be very crude.
zoegirl
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

WElcome Marcus!!
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Zebulon
Valued Member

Post by Zebulon »

MarkyMark7 wrote:Hello, I'm Marcus. Do to my insomnia I found this forum while researching some things. I'm 16 and I will be 17 next month. I live in Glasgow, KY but I was born in Charlotte, MI. I play Tuba and Bass Guitar. I'm a Non-Denominational Protestant, and I hope to attend Wheaton College after high school graduation and study Biblical Archaeology. Don't know what else to put.
Hello MarkyMark7,

...and welcome!

Insomnia? That looks just like me. Periods of my life that I gradually am able to cop with, since a lot of things are going in my head during these insomniac periods. How do you deal with yours?

:sleep: Victor
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Zebulon wrote:
MarkyMark7 wrote:Hello, I'm Marcus. Do to my insomnia I found this forum while researching some things. I'm 16 and I will be 17 next month. I live in Glasgow, KY but I was born in Charlotte, MI. I play Tuba and Bass Guitar. I'm a Non-Denominational Protestant, and I hope to attend Wheaton College after high school graduation and study Biblical Archaeology. Don't know what else to put.
Hello MarkyMark7,

...and welcome!

Insomnia? That looks just like me. Periods of my life that I gradually am able to cop with, since a lot of things are going in my head during these insomniac periods. How do you deal with yours?

:sleep: Victor
Insomnia afflicts a lot of people ... but it's nothing to lose sleep over ..... :mrgreen: :pound:

(sorry, couldn't resist .... I have bouts of it too ......)
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Zebulon
Valued Member

Post by Zebulon »

Canuckster1127 wrote:Insomnia afflicts a lot of people ... but it's nothing to lose sleep over .....
Love it!
:pound:

Thanks.
Victor