Considering Catholicism

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Man from the Neptune
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Considering Catholicism

Post by Man from the Neptune »

I am not sure if this is the right forum to put this on but I have been carefully considering becoming Catholic. I have studied some of it and I was curious what your advice would be,
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Considering Catholicism

Post by zoegirl »

For anybody considering any denomination....I would ask what parts of the doctrine are drawing you to the denomination and whether they align with the scripture. For any denomination out there, there are sacred cows. Try to examine these sacred cows and simply be aware that they do exist. Each denomination has them . We are to examine scripture and apply scripture to the doctrines presented us.

This may sound vague, but....I thought it sounded fair. (considering that I'm Presbyterian, what else would you have me say :esurprised: we have our sacred cows as well y:-? ) I really respect Byblos and would listen to him with regards to the Catholic doctrines.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

Sorry, Zoe, but "sacred cows"? Never heard of that. What exactly are "sacred cows"? :econfused:
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

jenwat3 wrote:Sorry, Zoe, but "sacred cows"? Never heard of that. What exactly are "sacred cows"? :econfused:
a sacred cow is a euphemism describing a thought or idea that is so elevated as to become sacred, such that the rejection of said idea is horrifying, moreso than the idea deserves.

For instance, in a company, if their dress code is alarmingly strict and elevated in importance, we could say that this is their sacred cow. To even think of suggesting casual friday would be trying to tip the sacred cow.

With respect to all denominations, each have doctrines or practices that have been elevated in importance more than perhaps they should, by well-meaing people who have perhaps over emphasized that doctrine. For instance, in some churches, they believe in infant baptim, as opposed to other churches who believe in adult baptism. Now while I support our view, I do think it should not be so elevated as to imply that those who think otherwise are in the wrong.

In past posts, it was brought up that Catholics worship Mary. As Byblos pointed out, this is not the correct view, although there are certainly some who do inappropriatley worship MAry and other saints. (Just as we can overemphasize infant baptism or adult baptism).

And I guess that is the point. With any denomination, one must be careful to understand the doctrines carefully and fully and that you support them. Otherwise you can fall into traps of legalism or misunderstanding the denomination.
Last edited by zoegirl on Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Man from the Neptune wrote:I am not sure if this is the right forum to put this on but I have been carefully considering becoming Catholic. I have studied some of it and I was curious what your advice would be,
Like Zoe said, before you consider converting to a particular denomination you owe it to yourself to get the facts. If you haven't done so with respect to Catholicism then I suggest the New Jerusalem Bible, the Catholic Catechism, and this site that has a Catholics 101 forum where you can ask all the questions you have. You can always send me a PM if you have specific questions.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

jenwat3 wrote:Sorry, Zoe, but "sacred cows"? Never heard of that. What exactly are "sacred cows"? :econfused:
y3:-O + :innocent:
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

FFC wrote:
I wonder. If you make Hamburger from a sacred cow, do you still have to say grace? y:O2 :eugeek: :esurprised: :pound:
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

8-}2 y/:) :roll: :pound:
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
FFC

Post by FFC »

Canuckster1127 wrote:
FFC wrote:
I wonder. If you make Hamburger from a sacred cow, do you still have to say grace? y:O2 :eugeek: :esurprised: :pound:
y=P~ Now I'm hungry. :shijacked: :ssorry:
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Man from the Neptune wrote:I am not sure if this is the right forum to put this on but I have been carefully considering becoming Catholic. I have studied some of it and I was curious what your advice would be,
Neptune, I must admit myself, I too am drawn to the Catholic approach. While things in the teaching may be different, I believe they take the message of Christ way more seriously.

Also I simply LOVE their musical approach at mass... In being a protestant, I've never really liked the level of music presented at the protestant Churches. Almost being a plastic quality... In the Catholic masses I'm greatly moved by the musical sadness presented at the Eucharist. I guess that makes me a more of a sad kind of guy..
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
FFC

Post by FFC »

I have a feeling that there are some Catholic churches that are better than others in regards to teaching the word and encouraging bible reading, just as is the case in any Christian church. Is that fair to say, Byblos?

KrisW
Recognized Member

Post by KrisW »

You might want to also study Transsubstaniation.

I actually think the Catholics stumled onto something here in ralation to how the Holy Spirit acts on the mind of a Christian, but the way the Catholic church applies it to Communion is...well, quite frankly... ludicrious.
When fascism come to America it will be wearing black robes and carrying the scales of Justice("but don't touch the oil or the wine")
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

KrisW wrote:You might want to also study Transsubstaniation.

I actually think the Catholics stumled onto something here in ralation to how the Holy Spirit acts on the mind of a Christian, but the way the Catholic church applies it to Communion is...well, quite frankly... ludicrious.
My turn: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
FFC

Post by FFC »

Byblos wrote:
KrisW wrote:You might want to also study Transsubstaniation.

My turn: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead:
:pound:

Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

FFC wrote:I have a feeling that there are some Catholic churches that are better than others in regards to teaching the word and encouraging bible reading, just as is the case in any Christian church. Is that fair to say, Byblos?
I would agree that that is true of any Christian church regardless of denomination. It has been my experience though that masses, services (whatever they're called) are not the places where one learns about the Bible. During Christmas mass Monday evening, several verses were read from Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Paul's epistles, then the priest expounded on them in his homily but I was left with a sense of incompleteness because I wanted to ask questions and couldn't. Bible study nights, however, are certainly more educational and enlightening.