Best Bible Translation?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Post by B. W. »

Canuckster1127 wrote: , fair enough. I'm in complete agreement. I just wanted to get your take on it, as I don't meet too many people with a working knowledge of Greek. Most of the people I meet who tell me it is unimportant don't read it, so you can hardly take their word as worth anything!
I started studying Greek and Hebrew in 1984 thru 1994 and from 1994 till 2007 - I stopped and only on occasion read these languages - till last month - March. I find that Hebrew is the hardest [for me] due to the shape of the letters and reading it backwards. I rely on the many Study aids for Hebrew and I was not very good when studying this language.

However, Greek was easier. I neglected it for so many years and used it on occasionally that I forgot about how to read it on the fly. Last Month, early March, I began to brush-up again on it. I use many study aids to help and I find myself still able to pick out a few words in the Greek text on the fly but rely mostly on the aids to read it again.

Those of you that know me know that I like using the original Greek word order/structure of a sentence as I find this the hardest to translate into English but the original Greek word order/structure does convey — Voice — very well. Yes there is a voice to language and its tones express the meanings. For example:

Ephesians 2:10, “For we are his workmanship created….” In the Greek text reads, “His for we are workmanship, [masterpiece, a making, sculpting] - created — [made habitable, transform, shape] …”

Yet you read it like this — yell out the Capitalized words — HIS for WE ARE WORKMANSHIP [his sculpting] Created [made habitable — transformed] in CHRIST JESUS…”

Or read it like this for tone — “HIS! WE ARE for WORKMANSHIP [sculpting] Created [made habitable — transformed] in/by CHRIST JESUS…”

This has more of a punch than the English… with the text pointing out that it is Christ in us through the Holy Spirit that shapes us to do his will. In other words — the Lord lives in us to do his WORKS GOOD … and this 'good work' that God preordained us to walk in is to be transformed in the image of his son — not a new ethical moralism as verse 8-9 reveals.

Well that is enough for now. I need to get back a start studying the Greek again as I am very rusty as you can see. I am working on the book of Ephesians to brush up on Greek and having a blast. It is nice to study without having to cram for a professor's exam!

Anyways — please do not make me out as a Greek expert as I most certainly am not. I like to read it the best I can for my own enjoyment and I use the study aids I have to rely on these more than most than reading Greek text on the Fly. IMHO - it is safer that way...
-
-
-
KrisW
Recognized Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Best Bible Translation?

Post by KrisW »

There is no perfect translation of the Bible into English. And some translations are biased by whatever denomination penned them.

To really study a particular passage it is best to use a Strong's Concordence and look-up the original Greek or Hebrew.
When fascism come to America it will be wearing black robes and carrying the scales of Justice("but don't touch the oil or the wine")
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: Best Bible Translation?

Post by B. W. »

KrisW wrote:There is no perfect translation of the Bible into English. And some translations are biased by whatever denomination penned them.

To really study a particular passage it is best to use a Strong's Concordance and look-up the original Greek or Hebrew.
I would also add the use of several different bible translations as well along with different word studies, commentaries, and Hebrew/Greek dictionaries and grammars that also correspond to the Strong's numbering system.

Then, most importantly lace and bind your study time with copious amounts of prayer.

:amen:
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys