Long hair on a man

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Long hair on a man

Post by FFC »

Judah wrote:FFC, to recover your credibility, your attention to the following is invited...
Judah wrote:However, I'm wondering how FFC is going to justify his pick-and-mix approach to hair style and dress. ;) :D
:innocent:
I say it was only relevant to the day and the culture. If anything it speaks to avoiding gender confusion as well as keeping a certain perception of order and authority in the church. We need to do the same today but hair length is not the issue in my opinion.

Some churches today say that a woman shouldn't wear pants because there is a verse in the OT saying that a woman shouldn't wear the apparell of a man and vice versa. But what of jeans that are made for women? Was my grandmother a sinner for wearing a pant suit? And what do we do with Jesus and the Jews of His day who wore the long flowing robes.

It's always the spirit of the law that we need to get in tune with or it will always turn into legalism.

Having said all that I'm still not sure what the meaning of the verse is. I've had hair down to my waste and no hair at all. So what is the point to it all?
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

:clap: :clap: :duel:

Just wanted to put that last one in

Good post FFC....There are feminine pants and feminine suits out there. Sure makes dressing for work easier!!

:esmile:
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

Actually that verse was talking about a woman dressing like a man or vice-versa, as stated by FFC. In other words, drag. Cross-dressing was condemned, since it made it hard to distinguish the sexes apart. The clothing today is not inappropriate unless it is being used to make us look like the opposite sex. Women can wear pants and still look like a woman.
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

But there are groups out there who feel women should not have short hair or wear pants. That's where following scripture without exmining the context and meaning leads to legalism .
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Agreed. They need to examine the full context before making decisions. I.E. Jw's and blood transfusions. :amen:
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
FFC

Post by FFC »

Was Samson's long hair a shame unto him?
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Judah
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Judah »

FFC, I think you have missed my point. :shakehead:

You said that you wear your hair short to be on the safe side...
FFC wrote:...{clip}...Judah, I'm just gonna play it safe and keep my hair short.
...but unless you are getting about in first century gear, then it is only your hair and not your clothes that your conformity has you erring on the safe side.
I am asking you, by reference to your "pick-and-mix approach to hair style and dress"... Why just your hair, but not your clothes? :popcorn:

As for Samson... it would seem that God dealt with him individually on that matter and his disobedience met with unfavourable consequences, a lesson for us all. :shock:
FFC

Post by FFC »

Judah wrote:Why just your hair, but not your clothes?
I wear what is revevant for times as well, Judah. It just so happens that short hair is in now as it was back then...when robes and turbans come back in I'll put them on as well.

Judah
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Judah »

Hmm, just as I thought... wearing your hair short to "play it safe" is not the reason at all. :dancing:
FFC

Post by FFC »

Judah wrote:Hmm, just as I thought... wearing your hair short to "play it safe" is not the reason at all. :dancing:
I confess that I said that with tongue firmly in cheek. :surrender: :croc:

jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

:pillows:
FFC

Post by FFC »

:poke:

Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Samson... Is that you?

:clap:
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
FFC

Post by FFC »

Gman wrote:Samson... Is that you?

Judah, what is the official rulling on this length of hair? :shelp: :stirthepot: I'm thinking if it is a man he is condemned to hell and if it is a woman her glory is only surpassed by the angels themselves. :popcorn:

Swamper
Valued Member

Post by Swamper »

Gman wrote:Samson... Is that you?

:swow: I WANT TO BE THAT GUY.
God's in his Heaven, all's right with the world.