What makes you believe?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.

How many times have you seriously considerd leaving Christianity?

Once.
50%
Twice.
No votes
Three.
10%
Four or more.
40%
I'm not a Christian.
No votes

Total votes: 10

ScienceAndFaith
Newbie Member

Re: What makes you believe?

Post by ScienceAndFaith »

I was with a very legalistic church and spent all of my time trying to convert people to that church. And that was the problem. My goal was converting people to the church and not to Jesus. I suspect that you are having the same thoughts that I did, and hence the same cure might apply. My faith soared once I realized that there is a difference between "religion" and Christianity. I've found that people tend to reject "religion" but are very open to Christianity. Time does not permit a full discussion on this, but the bottom line is that Christianity is how we live our lives on a daily basis. It has nothing to do with "rules and regulations" or with fancy buildings, or with special Sunday assemblies. Christianity is just being Jesus 24/7, and encouraging others to do likewise. Romans 12:1,2 says that our worship is our lifestyle. The Sunday thing is fine in that it brings us together with likeminded people, and thereby provides a nice break from our real worship, that of being Christlike out in the world. But when the Sunday assembly becomes the sum total of our faith problems arise. We can have the greatest programs ever devised, but we might find ourselves ignoring that tapping noise on the outside of the windows. That noise just might be Jesus asking to be invited in.

I know that doesn't answer your question as to why I believe, but I think it answers a more fundamental question you are asking.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

There are some good points in these posts. On my point of view, all I have to do is walk outside, feel the wind in my face, hear the birds singing, watch a sunrise or sunset, etc. To me that's proof enough that God exists. 8)
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
IRQ Conflict
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Amen Jenna. I am of like mind. I oft feel the Spirit as I enjoy and praise God for the things He has given me.

The Peace that surpasses all understanding no? 8)
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

How did you know my name was Jenna? Is it posted somewhere? I guess it doesn't really matter, I was just wondering though. :shock:
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
Swamper
Valued Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Swamper »

jenwat3 wrote:How did you know my name was Jenna? Is it posted somewhere? I guess it doesn't really matter, I was just wondering though. :shock:
You did post it somewhere on here a couple of weeks ago, yes.
God's in his Heaven, all's right with the world.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

Swamper wrote:
jenwat3 wrote:How did you know my name was Jenna? Is it posted somewhere? I guess it doesn't really matter, I was just wondering though. :shock:
You did post it somewhere on here a couple of weeks ago, yes.
Ah, mystery solved, Jenna. :lol: It was either that or IRQ has the gift of prophecy... :shock:
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

A psychic? On this forum? Heaven help us all. :shock: :lol:
JCSx2
Valued Member

Post by JCSx2 »

I did leave Christianity for most of my adult life. I was Wiccan.

Prior to that I was Baptized Methodist, confirmed Lutheran then I turned away when I was 19 years old. At the Age of 39 (Easter Sunday 07) I reconfirmed my belief in Jesus Christ as my savior and Re dedicated myself to God the Father, The Son and the Holy Spirit.

I burned all my pagan books in a bonfire on Easter Sunday Morning due to the fact that I did not want to recalculate false doctrine.

I am a believer in books and am generally against book burnings but this I felt I had to do.

I have closeness with God that I never have had before in my life.

Thank God he takes in lost sheep and forgives us of our sins.

Praise the Lord

I choose once on the vote because that is all it took for me to actually do it.

Also I will never do it again even if it means my death, I feel this strongly about my faith.
Definition of a Veteran. A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including his life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.