Catholics

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
IRQ Conflict
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Catholics

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Truth. I like to give but today I received a solicitation from "CNEWA" (Catholic Near East Welfare Association) Here is what the enclosed card said includes a pic of the pope with his infamous crooked cross staff thingy and 'enlarged bordered garment'

And I quote "The Holy Father is asking for you to help...
By supporting the work of CNEWA

Note the capital letters referring to the pope as "The Holy Father". I'll try to find an image or something and link to it. It truly is reprehensible that man has taken the Fathers place.. or rather attempted to. :(

I find it rather odd that catholics know to give to the poor but don't know that Christ forbids us to call any man The Father. What part of the Lords prayer are they not hearing? Our Father Which art in Rome?
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

IRQ Conflict wrote:Truth. I like to give but today I received a solicitation from "CNEWA" (Catholic Near East Welfare Association) Here is what the enclosed card said includes a pic of the pope with his infamous crooked cross staff thingy and 'enlarged bordered garment'

And I quote "The Holy Father is asking for you to help...
By supporting the work of CNEWA

Note the capital letters referring to the pope as "The Holy Father". I'll try to find an image or something and link to it. It truly is reprehensible that man has taken the Fathers place.. or rather attempted to. :(

I find it rather odd that catholics know to give to the poor but don't know that Christ forbids us to call any man The Father. What part of the Lords prayer are they not hearing? Our Father Which art in Rome?
(Oh boy! here we go again)

IRQ, I know it's really hard but try to put your feelings towards the RCC aside for a second and look at what they claim and assume for just a moment that their claim is right (humor me, ok?). Here's an organization that claims descendency all the way back to Christ, claims Peter was instituted as the head of the church by Christ himself, and claims that the papacy lineage has been unbroken since Peter. Given that Christ gave the authority to Peter (as the leader of the apostles, yet another claim, I know) and to the rest of the apostles that anything they loose on earth will be loosed in heaven and anything they bind on earth will be bound in heaven, this in effect would make Peter (and by extension his successors) the representative (or vicar) of Christ here on earth. As an analogy, think of the President of the United States. When the president wants to meet with foreign dignitaries, he usually does not go himself - at least not at first. Instead, he sends Condi Rice, his secretary of state, his representative, his vicar. When Condi meets with foreign dignitaries, does she claim she is the president of the United States? Of course not, she is his representative and everyone sees her as such. The Pope is not called the Holy Father (capitalization or otherwise notwithstanding) because he is seen as God but because he is the vicar of Christ on earth and precisely because Christ meant it as such - at least that is the claim. It is just silly to see it any other way. There isn't a Catholic I know (and I know quite a few) that would confuse the pope with God or his Word. Why do you?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by FFC »

Byblos wrote:There isn't a Catholic I know (and I know quite a few) that would confuse the pope with God or his Word. Why do you?
Probably because many of us get our info from protestant biased sources. :shock: Seriously, I used to believe the same thing until I questioned several of my Catholic and former Catholic friends. The concensus is that the Pope isn't God and does not claim to be God. I do think that there could be a little more reformation there but that is besides the point. ;)
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

So what IS your point? :lol:
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
FFC

Post by FFC »

jenwat3 wrote:So what IS your point? :lol:
That is a very good question, but if I spelled it out for you, you would never learn. :lol:

btw, I know you are just messing with me. :)
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

But of course! :lol:
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
johnt
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by johnt »

Wow! Where was wikipedia when I was in school. Okay folks considering Catholics comprises 1/2 of all Christains in the world or basically 1/6 of the world population which just happens to be about 1.5 billion Catholics let's give them some credit for there beliefs and rituals having to do with Christianity. The first link is all about the Papal Office, history and resposibilities and the second link is all about the Catholic Church. Please read both and this should take care of the bashing for a while. By the way if you think we have pressures on us wait until you read what being the Pope is really all about!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Catholic_Church
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

John, I don't think people here are bashing Catholics in general. I think that some of us don't agree with your BELIEFS, but we try not to bash the people who believe that way. (Or that's the way it SHOULD be, anyway). :ebiggrin:
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

jenwat3 wrote:John, I don't think people here are bashing Catholics in general.
:boxing: :incense: :comeon:

:ssorry:
FFC

Post by FFC »

:beat:

Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

:lalala: :lalala: :lalala:

( I LOVE these new emoticons, thanks K. Although we're still missing the 'praying' one, Lord knows I could use some here).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

:pound:
FFC

Post by FFC »

We needed some comic relief from the Catholic bashing as fun as it was, eh Byblos? :sstopwar: :incense:

Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

FFC wrote:We needed some comic relief from the Catholic bashing as fun as it was, eh Byblos? :sstopwar: :incense:
And here I thought Catholic bashing WAS comic relief :slol:

FFC

Post by FFC »

Byblos wrote:
FFC wrote:We needed some comic relief from the Catholic bashing as fun as it was, eh Byblos? :sstopwar: :incense:
And here I thought Catholic bashing WAS comic relief :slol:
:doh: