Abraham's Bosom

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
phiver4
Familiar Member

Abraham's Bosom

Post by phiver4 »

Is there someone who can give me an explanation for Abraham's Bosom?

From my understanding this was a place of rest for those that died during the O.T. times, some type of "compartment" set apart from Hades. These people could not enter Heaven because,even though they were forgiven of their sins through the sacrifices set forth in the O.T., they could not enter Heaven because their sins were not "wiped away" and forgotten. This could only be accomplished through Jesus Christ who was to come later. Jesus then would save these people and bring them into Heaven because only then was His ultimate Sacrafice completed.

I guess I am having a problem with someone being held for a period of time in a place (Abraham's Bosom) where is no dimension of time, a place that is supposed to be eternal. How could these people be "waiting" in a place that is not supposed to have that dimension?
Thank You.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Abraham's Bosom

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Abraham's Bosom?

Could you tell us more about this?...such as, where in Scripture is it?

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

Actually, it's not in the O.T. (that i could find, anyway) It's in Luke 16:22. "So it was that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham's bosom".
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
phiver4
Familiar Member

Post by phiver4 »

Yes, I'm sorry. I forgot to mention where I found it. Once I found it I researched as to what Abraham's Bosom was and found the explanation which I gave in my initial inquiry. For some reason I just can't get a grasp on a "temporary " holding place as it was explained. Maybe the source from which I derived my information was in error so if someone can clarify this for me I would greatly appreciate it!
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Yes, it would be nice for clarification. I don't know exactly what this means either. :?
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

jenwat3 wrote:Yes, it would be nice for clarification. I don't know exactly what this means either. :?
(purgatory? 8) )
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
phiver4
Familiar Member

Post by phiver4 »

I thought about that one, and if that is what is being talked about then I still cannot account for how a specific time period or "holding pattern" exists in Heaven. Or, being that you placed it in ( )'s, maybe was a bit of "tongue in cheek??"
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Sex: Male

Post by FFC »

Byblos wrote:
jenwat3 wrote:Yes, it would be nice for clarification. I don't know exactly what this means either. :?
(purgatory? 8) )
Maybe limbo? Do you guys even acknowlege limbo anymore, Byblos? ;)
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

FFC wrote:
Byblos wrote:
(purgatory? 8) )
Maybe limbo? Do you guys even acknowlege limbo anymore, Byblos? ;)
Not officially but it seems as though I'm constantly there :?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

:lol:
FFC

Post by FFC »

I love it! :lol:
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

phiver4
Familiar Member

Post by phiver4 »

Now THAT was funny!
...and Byblos will be here performing every day between noon and 4.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

phiver4 wrote:Now THAT was funny!
...and Byblos will be here performing every day between noon and 4.
Oh you missed quite a few performances my friend, I'm constantly here too (hmmm, are we all in limbo then?). Stay tuned though, the best is yet to come. :lol:

phiver4
Familiar Member

Post by phiver4 »

I do sincerely appreciate everyone on these forums and the attempts made by those to answer my questions. As stated in previous discussions, God has answered my prayer in a thunderous way over the past 2 months. I grew apart from God for years but my doubt and skeptism has brought me back to Him in a way I never thought possible. I have learned so much over such a short span of time that I cannot wait for each new day to see what He will show me.

This site, it's discussion forum and you all, do not take for granted anything that you write. You have no idea how much you have helped me in my search for the answers to the questions that have been locked inside of me and have kept me from God all these years. Please be patient with me and my questions.

The skeptics created the doubt inside of me but it was my doubt that brought me back and has made me strong. Thank you all again, you are truly God's blessing to me.
FFC

Post by FFC »

phiver4 wrote:I do sincerely appreciate everyone on these forums and the attempts made by those to answer my questions. As stated in previous discussions, God has answered my prayer in a thunderous way over the past 2 months. I grew apart from God for years but my doubt and skeptism has brought me back to Him in a way I never thought possible. I have learned so much over such a short span of time that I cannot wait for each new day to see what He will show me.

This site, it's discussion forum and you all, do not take for granted anything that you write. You have no idea how much you have helped me in my search for the answers to the questions that have been locked inside of me and have kept me from God all these years. Please be patient with me and my questions.

The skeptics created the doubt inside of me but it was my doubt that brought me back and has made me strong. Thank you all again, you are truly God's blessing to me.
Praise the Lord! That's what it is all about right?