going to hell?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

going to hell?

Post by jenna »

Yet another question. If people are automatically sent to either heaven or hell when they die, then what is the purpose and reason behind the resurrection? To judge them and send them back? Havent they already been judged? :shock:
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
dukefan1989
Newbie Member

Re: going to hell?

Post by dukefan1989 »

Is there not a difference between hell and the lake of fire?
Seraph
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Seraph »

People go to Heaven and Hell AFTER the ressurection. The ressurection brings the dead back to life so they can go to their final destinations.
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Seraph wrote:People go to Heaven and Hell AFTER the ressurection. The ressurection brings the dead back to life so they can go to their final destinations.
So we dont go to one place immediately upon death? Thats what I always understood.
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
IRQ Conflict
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

We go either to Hell or Paradise a garden of God till judgment day.

Luk 16:24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

Luk 23:42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.
Luk 23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.

Where the enemies of God are then cast into hell. Death being the last enemy to succumb to the lake of fire where God is no longer present.

Rev 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

But you didn't answer me about resurrection.
IRQ Conflict

Post by IRQ Conflict »

jenwat3 wrote:Yet another question. If people are automatically sent to either heaven or hell when they die, then what is the purpose and reason behind the resurrection? To judge them and send them back? Havent they already been judged? :shock:

The resurrection your thinking of is the resurrection of the body. When we die we are spirit only. Until the day of Judgment. I am not sure why God chose this Modus Operandi.

Edit: On second thought. Being spirit and eternal we would need somewhere to dwell until that day, so that part would make sense. As for the resurrection, all people regardless of destination will be raised (their corporeal bodies) some to life and some to death.
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Ok, so our body dies, our spirit goes to heaven or hell, then on the resurrection, body and spirit are reunited so judgement can be passed and spirit is sent back to heaven or hell? Am I understanding this correctly, because that doesnt seem to make sense either. :?
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

jenwat3 wrote:Ok, so our body dies, our spirit goes to heaven or hell, then on the resurrection, body and spirit are reunited so judgement can be passed and spirit is sent back to heaven or hell? Am I understanding this correctly, because that doesnt seem to make sense either. :?

We die. Our spirit (life) goes back to God, our soul goes to sleep and our Bodies decay. In a blink of an eye to us it is Judgement day (although it may be 100s to millions of years in the future). New imperishable bodies are created for us and are joined with our wakened souls and the spirit of life breathed back into them. We are judged. Then we are either sent to live in the New earth and Heaven or we are cast into the lake of fire where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

That is the way I see it anyway.

God Bless

Silvertusk.
IRQ Conflict

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Our soul doesn't sleep.

Luk 23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.

Luk 16:24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
Hellfire

jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Yes, but if we are to take this verse literally, or at face value, then why did Jesus say that no man has seen heaven or the face of God? :?
IRQ Conflict

Post by IRQ Conflict »

jenwat3 wrote:Yes, but if we are to take this verse literally, or at face value, then why did Jesus say that no man has seen heaven or the face of God? :?
I'm not sure what verse your referring to but flesh and blood would die in the presence of the Almighty God. Just ask Moses. :)

Plenty of people I'm sure have seen the Father in spirit or a form or representation of Him. Jesus Himself is one such example "If you have seen me, you have seen the Father". It is true that no 'man' has seen the form of God literally.

Here is a good read on the subject.

In the flesh we would perish. In revelations Jesus said He will destroy the anti-Christ with "the Brightness of His coming" So just showing up to the party is really gonna put a damper on Satan's plans. :)
Hellfire

FFC
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by FFC »

IRQ Conflict wrote:
jenwat3 wrote:Yes, but if we are to take this verse literally, or at face value, then why did Jesus say that no man has seen heaven or the face of God? :?
I'm not sure what verse your referring to but flesh and blood would die in the presence of the Almighty God. Just ask Moses. :)

Plenty of people I'm sure have seen the Father in spirit or a form or representation of Him. Jesus Himself is one such example "If you have seen me, you have seen the Father". It is true that no 'man' has seen the form of God literally.

Here is a good read on the subject.

In the flesh we would perish. In revelations Jesus said He will destroy the anti-Christ with "the Brightness of His coming" So just showing up to the party is really gonna put a damper on Satan's plans. :)
Good post, IRQ, even Moses was only allowed to see God's... uh...backside. :o There were even a few that thought they were going to die because they realized afterwards that they had been talking to God in the form of a man.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Actually, in the o.t., it was Jesus that Moses spoke to, not God. Yes, I know that Jesus is God, but God the Son is actually the God in the o.t. as well as the new.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by FFC »

jenwat3 wrote:Actually, in the o.t., it was Jesus that Moses spoke to, not God. Yes, I know that Jesus is God, but God the Son is actually the God in the o.t. as well as the new.
You are correct!
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?