Ignorance of the Bible

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Ignorance of the Bible

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

I saw a small article in the September-October 2007 issue of Biblical Archaeology Review (p.15) which surprised me. Here is a summary:

"Ignorance of the Bible Isn't Bliss

More than 10% of Americans believe that Joan of Arc was Noah's wife. This is just one of the distressing statistics that Stephen Prothero, the chair of the religion department at Boston Univerity, presents in his book Religious Literacy: What every American Needs to Know - and Doesn't. ... Only half of those polled could name even one of the Four Gospels. A mere one in three knew who delivered the Sermon on the Mount. And less than half of those polled could identify the first book of the Bible. ... On the other hand, approx. 75% of those polled believe that the Bible teaches that "God helps those that help themselves." (Benjamin Franklin said it.) ... It may be a bit surprising to learn that Evangelical Christians, who traditionally place a high value on biblical literacy, fared only slightly-better than their non-evangelical counterparts..."

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Sex: Male

Re: Ignorance of the Bible

Post by FFC »

Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:I saw a small article in the September-October 2007 issue of Biblical Archaeology Review (p.15) which surprised me. Here is a summary:

More than 10% of Americans believe that Joan of Arc was Noah's wife. This is just one of the distressing statistics that Stephen Prothero, the chair of the religion department at Boston Univerity, presents in his book Religious Literacy: What every American Needs to Know - and Doesn't. ... Only half of those polled could name even one of the Four Gospels. A mere one in three knew who delivered the Sermon on the Mount. And less than half of those polled could identify the first book of the Bible. ... On the other hand, approx. 75% of those polled believe that the Bible teaches that "God helps those that help themselves." (Benjamin Franklin said it.) ... It may be a bit surprising to learn that Evangelical Christians, who traditionally place a high value on biblical literacy, fared only slightly-better than their non-evangelical counterparts..."

FL
That is very sad indeed. Actually, to me it seems like people in general are getting more intellectually challenged...or maybe we just learn what interests us.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
bizzt
Christian: No

Post by bizzt »

What is even worse is that we as "Christians" are not reaching the Lost! That is the real Kicker!
josephcleetus
Newbie Member

Post by josephcleetus »

I represent about 41 families in the church. We have weekly bible meetings. The disturbing thing one will notice during the meeting will be the ignorance of most people. If they are asked to search for certain verse, they will get confused thinking where to find it.
But because of the Bible classes and all, the situation is changing and most importantly they are interested in it also.
:D :D
Joshua 1: 9 "Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid"
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

That's good to hear, Joseph. We cannot change the world in a day, but all these little steps equal movement in the right direction and if those shown what their Bibles say would go and show others, then the ripple effect will also help.

On another Christian forum, an Anglican one, a woman appeared to tell us all how wrong we were. She told us we were ignorant, that we knew nothing of what we were talking about. She held the world and modern society up for us to emulate and worship. Not once did she mention Jesus, the Holy Spirit, or refer to Scripture. In the end she told us that she is a Christian, that being someone who seeks good in others and praises it. That is what she a knew made someone a Christian. Without any knowledge of the Bible, she was totally off track. But she claimed to go to church and know what was important. We all had sick attitudes, believing people to be sinners. Didn't we know that people were innately good? Her worldview was confused and her Biblical illiteracy had her judging others and correcting them from a position of gross ignorance... and she also claimed of herself to be a teacher. She would not be corrected herself. Calling herself a Christian she was telling a lie and refused to believe it to be so. We did try... but she knew better than all of us. That was so sad, both extremely frustrating and sad.

Sometimes you can witness the faith until you are blue in the face, and still others will not hear.
BTW, it will always be the Holy Spirit who does the work in our hearts, so witness without prayer often doesn't get past first base.
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

We have a Mall up here in Calgary that put up the Jesus in a Stable Scene (QUITE SUPRISING). A news story about it was on and was asking people who these people were. It is quite suprising the Answers from Kids and Adults alike who do not know the Story of Jesus. :shock: :(
FFC

Post by FFC »

bizzt wrote:We have a Mall up here in Calgary that put up the Jesus in a Stable Scene (QUITE SUPRISING). A news story about it was on and was asking people who these people were. It is quite suprising the Answers from Kids and Adults alike who do not know the Story of Jesus. :shock: :(
They didn't know what the nativity was?
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

bizzt

Post by bizzt »

FFC wrote:
bizzt wrote:We have a Mall up here in Calgary that put up the Jesus in a Stable Scene (QUITE SUPRISING). A news story about it was on and was asking people who these people were. It is quite suprising the Answers from Kids and Adults alike who do not know the Story of Jesus. :shock: :(
Not at all. Some of them knew of the Nativity but thought the names were Adam and Eve etc... Just Sad :(
FFC

Post by FFC »

bizzt wrote:
FFC wrote:
Not at all. Some of them knew of the Nativity but thought the names were Adam and Eve etc... Just Sad :(
It still throws me whenever I hear somebody call the nativity a creche.
:? :?

Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Cross.eyed »

One of our brothers here at work was telling me about a conversation he had with family concerning different Bibles-which is the best etc.-when his Mother in-law stated that "If the King James version was good enough for my Savior then it's good enough for me!"

On another (sad) note I remember a cable news article stating a poll among Christians indicated that practicing Christians of all denominations read on the average less than one chapter a month from The Bible. :sleep:
I am the wretch the song refers to.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Cross.eyed wrote:On another (sad) note I remember a cable news article stating a poll among Christians indicated that practicing Christians of all denominations read on the average less than one chapter a month from The Bible.
One chapter a month??? I'm surprised it's that much! They must've lied to the pollsters...

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Cross.eyed
Valued Member

Post by Cross.eyed »

Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Cross.eyed wrote:On another (sad) note I remember a cable news article stating a poll among Christians indicated that practicing Christians of all denominations read on the average less than one chapter a month from The Bible.
One chapter a month??? I'm surprised it's that much! They must've lied to the pollsters...

FL
Yea...thats certainly possible
I am the wretch the song refers to.
imoneru?
Familiar Member

Post by imoneru? »

Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:I saw a small article in the September-October 2007 issue of Biblical Archaeology Review (p.15) which surprised me. Here is a summary:

FL
What I also feel is ironic but sad is that for all the picketing against not allowing the "Ten Commandments" to be displayed in most public buildings and schools is that, if you were to ask the large majority of the people picketing very few could name more than 3 or 4 of them.
imoneru?
Familiar Member

Post by imoneru? »

Yes it is especially when you consider that our churches send a good number of missionarys to foreign countrys in an effort
to teach that which is lacking in our own neighborhoods. We may call the Mormons, and JW's Cults but they do there best to preach the Gospel as they interpit it. I'm ashamed to say I've yet to knock on my neighborhood doors as they do....Ray
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by ageofknowledge »

"More than 10% of Americans believe that Joan of Arc was Noah's wife."

:pound: I'm wiping tears of laughter away right now.

It's not just a gross ignorance of religious information but most information in general this new generation lacks. One poll revealed that 70% of high school kids couldn't name what state New Orleans was in after Hurricane Katrina.

I mean the modern liberals have dumbed education down to the point where all they seem to know is basic arthirimitic, their own feelings, and how to twitter.

Yeah twittering will save us :shakehead:

We're almost graduating retards at this point. And a lot aren't even graduating anymore.
Last edited by ageofknowledge on Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.