Increased use of the word "evolve" lately

Discussions on creation beliefs within Christianity, and topics related to creation.
CharlieB
Acquainted Member

Increased use of the word "evolve" lately

Post by CharlieB »

Has anyone else noticed how much this word is used in advertising and speeches lately? Such as the car evolved, such and such tool evolved. What is with that? Was there a meeting of a group of CEOs and they decided to use that word to be hip or something?

The funny thing is if the listener thinks about it though, did the car evolve or was it improved by intelligent design? I think any sane person would agree with the latter. Maybe they are trying to show that the only way something evolves is through intelligent design.
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: No

Re: Increased use of the word "evolve" lately

Post by bizzt »

CharlieB wrote:Has anyone else noticed how much this word is used in advertising and speeches lately? Such as the car evolved, such and such tool evolved. What is with that? Was there a meeting of a group of CEOs and they decided to use that word to be hip or something?

The funny thing is if the listener thinks about it though, did the car evolve or was it improved by intelligent design? I think any sane person would agree with the latter. Maybe they are trying to show that the only way something evolves is through intelligent design.
Evolve is to Develop Gradually. Whether the ID improved the Car when you look back at the Design and Technology of the Car you can say it evolved.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/evolve

to develop gradually: to evolve a scheme.
To develop or achieve gradually: evolve a style of one's own.

I guess everyone just has a bad flavour in their mouth over the word "Evolution".
CharlieB
Acquainted Member

Post by CharlieB »

Well it is a strange use of a word. It seems to me the sentence now has a passive voice:

The car evolved.

The question remains. Who evolved the car? Evolved is the verb and the the noun in the sentence couldn't have changed without the unmentioned people doing it. Similar to saying "The car improved". They could say the "The car has been improved" which is also the passive voice. The correct way to say it is "We improved the car".
FFC
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

CharlieB wrote:Well it is a strange use of a word. It seems to me the sentence now has a passive voice:

The car evolved.

The question remains. Who evolved the car? Evolved is the verb and the the noun in the sentence couldn't have changed without the unmentioned people doing it. Similar to saying "The car improved". They could say the "The car has been improved" which is also the passive voice. The correct way to say it is "We improved the car".
It's all mind control :shock:
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

FFC wrote:
CharlieB wrote:Well it is a strange use of a word. It seems to me the sentence now has a passive voice:

The car evolved.

It's all mind control :shock:
:shock: :lol:
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

The car evolved.

Actually even that would not be correct because sometimes they do not improve the car... They Changed the Car. Over a certain period of time they talk about the Changing of that car and therefore name it the Evolution of the Car.

I think we get hung up on the word because all we hear it used for is the Biological Evolution of a Species. Sad and unfortunate.
godslanguage

Post by godslanguage »

You make a good point. I have noticed this as well, and not only is it extremely annoying, it is disrespectful to human ingenuity. I have a huge problem with the defining word evolution itself, I think it is the most controversial word in the dictionary, and by that I am not even referring to Darwinian evolution. My reason for this, is that "evolution" meaning "unfold" is a word without "cause", its a lazy term people use because they don't really know what it actually means themselves. Darwinian evolution has fooled enough people into thinking all of technology evolve in the way Darwinian processes evolve, as a process of materialistic natural causes itself, that is a joke.
"Is it possible that God is not just an Engineer, but also a divine Artist who creates at times solely for His enjoyment? Maybe the Creator really does like beetles." RTB
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Uh....

The only way a car could evolve in the Darwinian sense would be for it to turn into a pile of rusted junk just outside your trailer park.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:Uh....

The only way a car could evolve in the Darwinian sense would be for it to turn into a pile of rusted junk just outside your trailer park.

FL
Well, you are only half correct — here is the rest:

After billions and billion of years the rust turns into rust stuff then after a few more billions and billions of years out of the primordial emerges — an errr Model T or a Toyota? Maybe a Volvo?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
FFC
Sex: Male

Post by FFC »

B. W. wrote:
Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:Uh....

FL
Well, you are only half correct — here is the rest:

After billions and billion of years the rust turns into rust stuff then after a few more billions and billions of years out of the primordial emerges — an errr Model T or a Toyota? Maybe a Volvo?
-
-
-
I'm thinking a subaru.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

ha ha ha...