Review of Hugh Ross' : The Genesis Question

Review and recommend books and other resources such as videos, tapes or websites that you would like other Christians to be aware of. (posts considered spam will be removed)
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Review of Hugh Ross' : The Genesis Question

Post by Canuckster1127 »

This is a copy of my review as posted on Amazon.

An Important Book, February 22, 2006
Reviewer: B. Breen "canuckster1127" (Sterling, VA USA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
First, If you're a Young Earth Creationist and don't really care what someone thinks or has to say about this book, please go ahead, mark it as unhelpful and save yourself the time and trouble of reading the book or this review.

After all, why risk possibly interacting positively in a mature and adult fashion with someone who is a fellow believer and has a different understanding of some Biblical Passages but who still affirms Inspiration, Inerrancy and the Diety of Christ? You can't experience anything positively by reading a book you already know you disagree with. We can't have that now? Can we?

As evidenced by the rapid 19 unhelpfuls put up, there is probably 1 person with multiple accounts who has made it their mission in life to attack others rather than defend their own position. It's sad, but that's the type of mentality unfortunately that characterizes some of those with a YEC position. Glad they have a hobby anyway ... keeps them off the streets .... ;)

Assuming you're still reading this review you're either genuinely interested in what this book has to say or you're a YEC'er (gasp) actually fair-minded enough to listen to what someone else has to say. In either event I applaud and welcome your interaction.

Hugh Ross is a astronomer from Canada who has worked through what has been a difficult process for many when it comes to the age of the universe and the earth in particular. As a scientist he is faced with overwhelming data that seems to point very strongly to the universe being very old; billions of years old. (Believe it or not, this is not a Satanic conspiracy from the pit of hell ... Scientists actually believe this based on evidence and not due to their secret membership in the Anti-Christ club.) Further, as a Christian, he is faced with the Bible which in the Genesis account(s), appear to favor a very rapid creation period (24 hour days according to some) and some strong proponents who claim that their interpretation and understanding of that Biblical account indicates that the earth can be no more than 10,000 years old.

So the choice seems to be accept one or the other. Of course, as a Christian you would expect Ross to accept "The Bible."

But wait a minute. "The Bible" is the final authority of Christians right? But the God of the Bible also is the God of creation right? How can "The Bible" and Nature be so out of line with each other (apparently?) Is God trying to deceive us? Is science really that wrong?

Young Earth Creationists have asked the same question and their answer has been to accept their interpretation (very important word there .... interpretation) and understanding of Genesis and the related passages and reasoned that Science must be wrong. So they've invested a great deal of time and effort in the laudable effort in seeking to reconcile the two. Frankly I think what they've come up with is pretty silly, but I have to commend them for making the effort as it comes from conviction and a recognition that they probably should make some sort of effort at reconciliation.

But wait. What about the other possibility? What if it is not science that is wrong. What if the Young Earth Position is wrong? Note, I didn't say what if "The Bible" is wrong. I don't believe it is or can be. Christians can be wrong however in their understanding. It's happened before, hasn't it? Remember a fellow named Galileo? The Church of his day renounced his science of the Sun at the center of the solar system and the proof he provided. Why? Because they believed the Bible taught otherwise. Was the Bible wrong? NO!!! Some Christians were!!!

Maybe we could learn something from that. Do you think?

So, what if something similar is going on here? "The Bible" can't be wrong, but what if we're not interpreting it right in this area?

To his credit, Ross doesn't take the easy way out and simply claim that Genesis is a myth or an unscientific representation and therefore it really can't be taken in a literal sense. Many have done that. The results are devestating. Start playing fast and loose with the Bible in one area and you can do so in the others and you effectively strip it of all meaning, power and authority. Apparently YEC'rs in their zeal can't appreciate that and so they heap scorn on a man trying to hold to the same standards they claim to follow.

That is what this book is all about. Hugh Ross approaches Genesis and works to reconcile it with what he believes to be true in terms of an old earth. It turns out, it's not too difficult to do. Certainly no more difficult than answering some of the tough questions that Young Earth Creationists have to answer as well.

Here's one just for starters. If there are 24 hour days from day 1 to day 6, how do you explain the Sun Moon and the Stars being created on the 4th day? How can there be a 24 hour day without the components that measure that day as such? Young Earth Creationists do have explanations for that, as do Old Earth Creationists. Young Earther's can do a pretty nice exegetical two-step and accept some pretty fancy explaining in that situation. I wonder why they aren't so open minded when it comes to other issues?

Maybe the Hebrew Word "Yom" can mean more than just a 24 hour day. What do you know! Turns out it can!! In fact, if a long period of time is what God and Moses meant to signify in Genesis, do you know what the best word to use in Ancient Hebrew is? Son of a Gun! Turns out it is the word "Yom"! Just the word used!

I don't believe Hugh Ross is perfect. I don't believe all his explanations are necessarily right. But I respect that he is willing to face the hard questions and attempt to give an answer. I believe Hugh Ross is enough of a Christian and a man that he could face new information, interact with it and change his mind if the truth from the Bible and the facts from Science required it. I even believe if he had to turn off his knowledge of Science and accept a Young Earth position on faith if he were convinced that orthodoxy and faith required it, he could do that. (I wonder if the YEC'ers mocking and slandering him could do the same, if they were brave enough to actually interact with what Hugh is saying, and not just throw their little hand-grenades of love, and if not, what they are so afraid of?)

I respect the man who is in the cross hairs wrestling with the issue and demonstrating Christian Qualities more than I respect immature and judgmental Christians who take pot shots and aren't in the battle themselves trying to do something.

Some of the people making reviews on this book and those voting to affirm these immature and decidely un-Christ-like displays could stand to learn a lesson from Hugh's silence in the face of their rudeness and attacking of his character and faith. Apparently their upbringing lacked manners and their education lacked the ability to disagree, agreeably. Great testimony on a web-site viewed by many outside the Church. I'm sure they're impressed.

It's a shame that so many from the YEC camp cannot have the same said of them as can be said of Hugh Ross. They are so sure they are right that they have equated their interpretation of the Bible in this one area to be a litmus test for all Christian faith and have used it to drive other believers away from them. Even sadder, they're driving unbelievers further from Christ because they equate Christianity with intellectual suicide.

I know this, because I used to be a Young Earth Creationist. Hugh Ross's book is not what changed my mind. I read it after that. But I know a good man when I read him and, agree or disagree with him, Hugh Ross is a good man.

I don't agree with all he says but I think he's on the right track. Further he is kind, humble and gentle in his presentation and I sense a genuine desire, far more than I ever evidenced when I was a YEC'er and far more than I see from most who take that position today, although thankfully there are a few exceptions.

I recommend this book regardless of your position when you start, and whether you agree with him or not when you're finished. You should walk away from it better understanding the issues and able to learn something. Unless of course, you really are afraid of that possibility. Thankfully those marked this review and moved on after the first sentence.

Thanks for reading and I truly hope you find this helpful.

Enjoy! ;)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157683 ... e&n=283155
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

Good review 1127. After reading that I have just ordered it myself. I have read Hughs other book and quite enjoyed it. You are right that some christians don't seem to get that God created the sciences and the earth - why would he make them so contradict each other in such a vast way - just to decieve us? I don't think so.

God bless

Silvertusk
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Silvertusk wrote:Good review 1127. After reading that I have just ordered it myself. I have read Hughs other book and quite enjoyed it. You are right that some christians don't seem to get that God created the sciences and the earth - why would he make them so contradict each other in such a vast way - just to decieve us? I don't think so.

God bless

Silvertusk
You're welcome Silvertusk.

I actually toned this down a little bit.

So I am clear, I don't believe all Young Earth Creationists are rude and close minded. Unfortunately, my experience has been that a significant number of them are and frankly, I can tend to react strongly to that element when I see it. There was ample evidence of that element on the Amazon site and so I responded directly to it there.

Glad you found the review helpful and I hope that you enjoy the book.

Bart
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

Well I have only read the first few chapters and it is mind blowing stuff - I recommend this book to anyone - even if you do not follow all of Ross's conclusions. Good stuff.

God Bless

Silvertusk
hfd

Post by hfd »

"After all, why risk possibly interacting positively in a mature and adult fashion with someone who is a fellow believer and has a different understanding of some Biblical Passages but who still affirms Inspiration, Inerrancy and the Diety of Christ? You can't experience anything positively by reading a book you already know you disagree with. We can't have that now? Can we?"

What a lovely 'Christian' attitude. Now tell me, what parts of scripture should I believe and what parts should I toss upon the trash heap of hsitory? BTW, do you have any scientific eveidence to support the idea of a resurrection ?
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

hfd wrote:"After all, why risk possibly interacting positively in a mature and adult fashion with someone who is a fellow believer and has a different understanding of some Biblical Passages but who still affirms Inspiration, Inerrancy and the Diety of Christ? You can't experience anything positively by reading a book you already know you disagree with. We can't have that now? Can we?"

What a lovely 'Christian' attitude. Now tell me, what parts of scripture should I believe and what parts should I toss upon the trash heap of hsitory? BTW, do you have any scientific eveidence to support the idea of a resurrection ?
There are things that science cannot explain or answer, like how you were treated when you were young, or why one hates, or loves. Why one molest, or why one spend so much energy to try to disprove God exist.

State your case man — don't be shy — but keep it civil and abide by the Forum rules to post.
-
-
-
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

hfd wrote:"After all, why risk possibly interacting positively in a mature and adult fashion with someone who is a fellow believer and has a different understanding of some Biblical Passages but who still affirms Inspiration, Inerrancy and the Diety of Christ? You can't experience anything positively by reading a book you already know you disagree with. We can't have that now? Can we?"

I don't base my belief in the resurrection on science.

Do you know what a "category error" is in logic? It may be worthwhile to look up.

How do you justify your comments in other threads of differenitating Jesus' teaching from Paul's teaching? Do you believe Paul's writings in the NT are less inspired than the Gospels? How do you reconcile your appeal to scripture on the one hand with your attempt to introduce a dichotomy in this regard ?

I'm curious
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
hfd

Post by hfd »

I'm of the opinion that Paul was a heretic and husckster. And of course, most 'Christian' churches follow his example.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

hfd wrote:I'm of the opinion that Paul was a heretic and husckster. And of course, most 'Christian' churches follow his example.
Well thanks for the direct answer.

So are you a member or adherant of a particar group of movement and if so which one?

I also note that you only answered half my question. You make a statement of accusation toward me of picking and choosing which portions of Scripture to accept in one breath and in the next one, you eliminate Paul.

Which Bible do you follow and how do you establish it as opposed to the Scriptures as defined and followed through the ages?

Are you here to discuss or simply to cast doubt and criticism while not presenting and defending your own position?
hfd

Post by hfd »

"Which Bible do you follow and how do you establish it as opposed to the Scriptures as defined and followed through the ages? "

I read the same Bible as you I suspect. I also read the Popol Vuh, the Book of The Hopi and several other sources which deal with many of the same issues as does the Bible.
KrisW
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Review of Hugh Ross' : The Genesis Question

Post by KrisW »

Well, I haven't read this work by Dr. Ross, but I do have his video " Journey Toward Creation" and have seen him numerous times on the John Ankerberg Show.

I think all Christians would do well to listen to what he has to say about Creation from a scientific point of view that actually co-incides with the Bible.
When fascism come to America it will be wearing black robes and carrying the scales of Justice("but don't touch the oil or the wine")
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Of all of Hugh's books, I probably use "The Genesis Question" the most. It's a well written book IMO...
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
rodyshusband
Established Member

Post by rodyshusband »

If anyone has not seen "Journey Toward Creation", I strongly suggest you do.
There is a newer updated version available (probably will have to updated again, since Pluto still qualifies as a "planet" in this version).
Excellent viewing, great teaching tool .
“Christianity provides a unified answer for the whole of life.” -- Francis Schaeffer