Strange prayer request.

Post all your prayer requests and responses here.
Enigma7457
Valued Member
Christian: No

Strange prayer request.

Post by Enigma7457 »

My brother-in-law is only 17. He is lost, mostly due to the neglect of his adopting mother (my mother-in-law). He is an angry and violent youth. Recently (this weekend) he appears to be snapping. He's threatened to kill his mother. ALthough i dislike her a lot, i do not want to see anything happen. She is still one of God's creatures.

I am going to have a talk with him tonight, hopefully. He seems to respond to me, not sure why. Please pray i don't do anything stupid, and please pray that even if i do, he doesn't do anything either. He doesn't seem to think he has anything to live for, doesn't feel loved. He is a good kid, just lost. He needs a lot of help./
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Re: Strange prayer request.

Post by bizzt »

Enigma7457 wrote:My brother-in-law is only 17. He is lost, mostly due to the neglect of his adopting mother (my mother-in-law). He is an angry and violent youth. Recently (this weekend) he appears to be snapping. He's threatened to kill his mother. ALthough i dislike her a lot, i do not want to see anything happen. She is still one of God's creatures.

I am going to have a talk with him tonight, hopefully. He seems to respond to me, not sure why. Please pray i don't do anything stupid, and please pray that even if i do, he doesn't do anything either. He doesn't seem to think he has anything to live for, doesn't feel loved. He is a good kid, just lost. He needs a lot of help./
Wow tough situation Enigma! May The Lord bless you and give you the Proper thoughts and Words for this Young Man

IN Christ
FFC
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

I'm praying, dude. Is he getting any counsolling?
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Enigma7457
Valued Member

Post by Enigma7457 »

He isn't, i don't think. He definately should be. Is there a way to suggest that to him without sounding like i'm calling him crazy? Like i said, he's a good kid and with the right push, he might go on his own.
FFC

Post by FFC »

Enigma7457 wrote:He isn't, i don't think. He definately should be. Is there a way to suggest that to him without sounding like i'm calling him crazy? Like i said, he's a good kid and with the right push, he might go on his own.
You could suggest that it can be beneficial to talk things out with those who are trained to listen and give good advice. If he says why, say it's because he seems to have a heavy duty battle going on inside of him and it worries you. It may also help if you put it like he would be doing you a favor...which in a way it would. However you suggest it, be sincere and open with your thoughts and feelings. Bring things out into the light. Just my opinion.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

I will be praying...

May God give you words and open his heart
Enigma7457
Valued Member

Post by Enigma7457 »

Was asked for an update, so...

Did not get a chance to talk to him last night. I will try again tonight (he is not answering the phone. We are trying at his G/f house).

Apparently, he was out all last weekend. Left Friday night came back Sunday night. Not sure if I should post the following, but I'm going to:

Talked to his sister last night. Apparently, he has threatened to 'slit her throat and set her on fire'. Wow...His sister told him how scared their mom is and he seemed proud. He was happy she was scared. It seems that is all he wants to do is scare her. I'm a little worried myself. I don't want to see him throw his life away (obviously I don't want him to kill her, either). Not sure what I can do, though.
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

Ever Read the Bondage Breaker!! It is time to Demand those Demon's to Flee! Be Firm and Definately don't have any Fear! You will be suprised by what kind of Authority you have over his Life right now. I suggest you do it quick before it goes to far though! Remember not to fight him with Flesh but with Spiritual Warfare! You want to first Rebuke his thoughts and say there is no Power in them. You then want to fill those thoughts with Scripture!

Eph 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
IRQ Conflict

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Totally agree with whats being put forth here. Demon oppression/Possession is a serious matter and needs to be nipped in the bud!

Notwithstanding if threats were uttered like that take them very seriously whether you think he's just trying to scare or not. People in that frame of mind can hurt others as well as themselves and should not be allowed to roam free till this is resolved.
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Enigma7457 wrote:He isn't, i don't think. He definately should be. Is there a way to suggest that to him without sounding like i'm calling him crazy? Like i said, he's a good kid and with the right push, he might go on his own.
Sometimes the easiest approach is to ask him gently if he is happy with how things are going....might allow a dialogue.

Many times the person will glasly admit that they are miserable.

ON the other hand, this is a safety issue, threats are not to be taken lightly. If the police need to be involved, then do so.

I knew a teenager who was struggling with bipolar disorder and he llost it and threatened his family. Tough decision but they called the police.
Judah
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Judah »

I'm with zoegirl on this, Enigma. Those threats absolutely must be taken seriously, even if there is a possibility that they were uttered in jest. Jesting of such nature still has something wrong behind it, or you would not be as concerned as you are, and safety needs to be sought as a matter of utmost priority. In the process, professional help often comes with the package - that a doctor and then maybe psychiatrist or some other competent counsellor becomes involved. But seeking to hear his own view of how things are going for him will show that you have regard for his opinion about himself, invites him to be more objective about matters, and could give rise to an opportunity to steer him towards the help he needs. Please take those safety concerns seriously, whatever you do. It is daunting, I know, but to do nothing has serious risks as well.
Enigma7457
Valued Member

Post by Enigma7457 »

FIrst of all,

Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it.

And now, a little update.

I have still not talked to him, have had no chance. However, a few of his sisters (large family) have sat down with him. From what i understand, he has done a complete 180. He apologized, bought her some flowers. Seems like he was genuinely sorry. Could be his bipolar, sometimes it goes in cycles I'm told.

And he is in counseling and therapy. Once a week at his home. I will still talk to him and listen, if I can get in touch with him. I know I always want a positive influence in my life.

Again, thanks for the prayers and keep them up. We're not out of the fire yet.
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Glad to hear of the reversal

I would still seek some professional help on this. If he reverses this quickly, then there is something going on here.

Teenage years are often the time when many medical symptoms pointing to bipolar, or schizophrenia appear. Unfortunatley with psychological conditions, the very medicine that helps them feels better is not taken when they are feeling better (after all, they are better, they don't need the medicine)

Problem is, when they are in their low points, reason does not work, they are not rational. THis is why they are so dangerous. You can try talking to them, thinking they will reasonably reply.

During this calm time, maybe now you could ask him if he really wants to experience that again.

I'll keep praying
Enigma7457
Valued Member

Post by Enigma7457 »

So much for the reversal.

He threatened her again and is now in juvi for 72 hours (starting some time yesterday). We're pretty sure this entire thing rests on his gf, she's not right. He was a nice, bubbly, albeit lost, kid before he met her. NOw he's a gothic, weird, introverted loner.

all i can do is wait for him to get out of juvi, then try to talk some sense into him. In two months he'll be 18, and techincally out on the streets (although he'll straight to his gf house). But then, no more help. The state cuts him off at 18 (right now he gets free counseling and such for being an adopted minor).
FFC

Post by FFC »

Enigma7457 wrote:So much for the reversal.

He threatened her again and is now in juvi for 72 hours (starting some time yesterday). We're pretty sure this entire thing rests on his gf, she's not right. He was a nice, bubbly, albeit lost, kid before he met her. NOw he's a gothic, weird, introverted loner.

all i can do is wait for him to get out of juvi, then try to talk some sense into him. In two months he'll be 18, and techincally out on the streets (although he'll straight to his gf house). But then, no more help. The state cuts him off at 18 (right now he gets free counseling and such for being an adopted minor).
What a tough situation. It hard enough being 18 without having to deal with all of that. He really does need the Lord to intervene. I'll keep praying about that and whatever the Lords will is.