Please Introduce Yourself Here

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

You are very welcome here, featherstaurnfly, and ask away whatever questions you may have.

Meanwhile, you might be interested in the following parable told by Jesus:
Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector.
The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men--robbers, evildoers, adulterers--or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.'
But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'
I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.
(Luke 18:10-14)
The point is this - that before we can be right with God, we need to acknowledge that we are sinners. The Pharisee was too full of pride to do anything like that, but the lowly tax collector knew that he was and that he needed God's mercy and forgiveness.

So your feeling of being unacceptable is definitely a move in the right direction towards being forgiven by our merciful and loving Father God.
If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
(1 John 1:8,9)
I hope you find those words to be encouraging. You are definitely not alone in having done things that you regret, and as zoegirl has pointed out, we are all sinners - every single one of us.

Do come back and ask some (all) of your questions. There are lots of folks here who will be very willing to attempt to answer them for you, or tell you more about becoming and being a Christian.
phoney
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Post by phoney »

Hi all, I am christian only 5 years. Now 57 and climbing. I have read the Bible and some other good books. I am new here too and do have questions about certain verses and or subjects. From what I have read on this site in the couple weeks I have found it; I am sure to learn quite a bit. I chose phoney because I do phone work( program ) I go by Ben also. As I said earlier I still have a lot to learn.
Judah
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Judah »

Welcome phoney/Ben.
Glad to know the source of your moniker and that it isn't a self-proposed slur on your character. :wink:

Have you visited the main website here? God and Science
There are heaps of questions and answers, and much fascinating reading. You may well find some of your questions are answered there already. But if you still have questions, ask away. Someone is bound to respond, and you are welcome to jump into any of the discssions as well.
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

feathersaturnfly wrote:hi,

I'm not sure what to say! A good woman I know passed on the url for this forum, after we talked briefly about Christianity. I'm interested in learning more and becoming a practising Christian. I have a lot of questions and ...Issues, though. I don't feel acceptable, I was a drug addict which is clearly not very 'good', and I had an abortion many years ago. Neither of those things are exactly Christian doings. I know they are both quite personal things to come out with in my first post in this community, but I have nothing to lose by throwing them out there, and I tend to hide a lot of my past in real life and would like to avoid doing that here.

This is disjointed, and not the best of introductions at all! It's probably best if I just be quiet and go read some threads now!

Look forward to reading posts and chatting to people.
Welcome Feathersaturnfly

Cool Name by the way!

It is strange how our past hurts us! What is more terrible is that we tend to live in that pain. It reminds me of a Song by Casting Crowns (Stained Glass Masquerade)

This is the Chrous ( I love this song!)

Are we happy plastic people
Under shiny plastic steeples
With walls around our weakness
And smiles to hide our pain
But if the invitation's open
To every heart that has been broken
Maybe then we close the curtain
On our stained glass masquerade

By Jesus Dying and Rising again the Veil was Torn!
Mat 27:51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;

That means the Invitation is open and God allows not only High Priests but lowly people come into his presence through Jesus Christ. The Sacrifice for every single Sin has been made! You are with people who are ashamed of their past so please feel right at home!

Take Care and Blessings
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

phoney wrote:Hi all, I am christian only 5 years. Now 57 and climbing. I have read the Bible and some other good books. I am new here too and do have questions about certain verses and or subjects. From what I have read on this site in the couple weeks I have found it; I am sure to learn quite a bit. I chose phoney because I do phone work( program ) I go by Ben also. As I said earlier I still have a lot to learn.
Welcome Ben.

It seems so weird calling you by Phoney :)

May the Lord bless you and may your questions be answered.
phoney
Recognized Member

Post by phoney »

bizzt wrote:
phoney wrote:Hi all, I am christian only 5 years. Now 57 and climbing. I have read the Bible and some other good books. I am new here too and do have questions about certain verses and or subjects. From what I have read on this site in the couple weeks I have found it; I am sure to learn quite a bit. I chose phoney because I do phone work( program ) I go by Ben also. As I said earlier I still have a lot to learn.
Welcome Ben.

It seems so weird calling you by Phoney :)

May the Lord bless you and may your questions be answered.

Thanks for the reply bizzt and making me feel welcome.
here is a question; some say Cain and Abel were twins.
I do not see that when I read Gen 4:1 and 4:2. I have been told in this paticular case the word "again" means continued in labor.
However in the last part of verse 1, she says "I have gotten a man from the Lord" It seems to me she would not have said this in the middle of labor of twins.
phoney
Recognized Member

Post by phoney »

Judah wrote:Welcome phoney/Ben.
Glad to know the source of your moniker and that it isn't a self-proposed slur on your character. :wink:

Have you visited the main website here? God and Science
There are heaps of questions and answers, and much fascinating reading. You may well find some of your questions are answered there already. But if you still have questions, ask away. Someone is bound to respond, and you are welcome to jump into any of the discssions as well.
Thanks Judah for the welcome. I have read some of the other pages.
I am new to forums so you may see mistakes in my part. And the place has so many different pages ( I think someone called them threads )
anyway I do try to bounc around in here and do some reading and being new I usually get lost. Thanks again, I'll learn the maze.
terry
Acquainted Member

Post by terry »

Hi

My name is terry and I just wanted to introduce myself. I started off on this thread with the best of intentions (to read from the beginning) but along about page 5 or 6 :idea: I admit I skipped up to page 23 and picked it up from there.

I found this forum on the website (great website by the way) and wanted to check it out.

I was a medium before I got saved and followed or dabbled in many occult teachings-- that is until Jesus set me free. I have been walking with the Lord for 30 years now and love good conversation (as opposed to argument) about the Lord and how He works in our lives.

I tend to have time in spurts but hope to visit/read more of the threads (maybe even from the beginning!) in the days to come.

terry
Judah
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Judah »

G'day Terry. Welcome to the forum. :)
terry
Acquainted Member

Post by terry »

Thanks!

And . . . G'night to you? If you're in New Zealand, I'm thinking it's dark there.

Blessngs
terry
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

Welcome Terry nice to meet you :)
terry
Acquainted Member

Post by terry »

Thanks for the welcome!

A quick question: I got a notification of a reply to my e-mail account (which is on AOL), but couldn't log in from there. Then I remembered I was on Mozilla Firefox when I joined the forum . . . so I went over to Mozilla , and from there and could log in. Will I always have to use Mozilla now? (Not a complaint, just a question).

blessings
terry
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

terry wrote:Thanks for the welcome!

A quick question: I got a notification of a reply to my e-mail account (which is on AOL), but couldn't log in from there. Then I remembered I was on Mozilla Firefox when I joined the forum . . . so I went over to Mozilla , and from there and could log in. Will I always have to use Mozilla now? (Not a complaint, just a question).

blessings
terry
It should not matter what Browser you signed in from. A Browser is a Browser is a Browser. They all have the same basic function. What do you mean by couldn't login. Did it come up to the GandS webpage? I have noticed when trying to logon normally I cannot login the first time but it logs in the next time. What I usually do is login to check my personal messages and that seems to hold my Logon credentials the first time.

Thanks

Blessings
bizzt
terry
Acquainted Member

Post by terry »

bizzt wrote: It should not matter what Browser you signed in from. A Browser is a Browser is a Browser. They all have the same basic function. What do you mean by couldn't login. Did it come up to the GandS webpage? I have noticed when trying to logon normally I cannot login the first time but it logs in the next time. What I usually do is login to check my personal messages and that seems to hold my Logon credentials the first time.

Thanks

Blessings
bizzt
That's what I thought-- but I'm not a "techie"-- so I thought there was something I wasn't considering or whatever. I saw that you ARE a techie so I figured I'd ask. Both of my sons are techies but I knew if I asked one of them I'd get the sermon about how little they think of AOL! :lol:

I still haven't managed to logon from AOL yet. Each time, I've tried it two or three times, then given up and gone over to Mozilla and viola! I'm in. Oh well. I'll give it a few more tries in coming days, but I can just logon through Mozilla if it comes to that.

Thanks for answering!
blessings
terry
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

NO problem... Now I do agree with your Sons about AOL but I thought I would be quiet ;) :D