Marijuana and God

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
IRQ Conflict
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

bizzt wrote:You can say Morphine is mind Altering. Some people don't know if they are coming or going :shock:
Believe me, I'm the first one in line for pain killers when it comes to having surgery while conscience :lol:
IRQ Conflict
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

puritan lad wrote:Too bad the apostles and prophets weren't aware of this faith building exercise :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hey Pete! Hey Paul! pass the bong dude! :lol:
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by bizzt »

IRQ Conflict wrote:
bizzt wrote:You can say Morphine is mind Altering. Some people don't know if they are coming or going :shock:
Believe me, I'm the first one in line for pain killers when it comes to having surgery while conscience :lol:
:lol:
phoney
Recognized Member

Post by phoney »

I would like to ask what this means Matt 12:17-20 and also Isaiah 42:1-4
also in Matt is Esaias the same as Isaiah?
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

phoney wrote:I would like to ask what this means Matt 12:17-20 and also Isaiah 42:1-4
This is what Barnes has to say about Matt 12:17-20
Mat_12:17
That it might be fulfilled ... - Matthew here quotes a passage from Isa_42:1-4, to show the “reason why he thus retired from his enemies and sought concealment.” The Jews, and the disciples also at first, expected that the Messiah would be a conqueror, and vindicate himself from all his enemies. When they saw him retiring before them, and, instead of subduing them by force, seeking a place of concealment, it was contrary to all their previous notions of the Messiah. Matthew by this quotation shows that “their” conceptions of him had been wrong. Instead of a warrior and an earthly conqueror, he was “predicted” under a totally different character. Instead of shouting for battle, lifting up his voice in the streets, oppressing the feeble - “breaking bruised reeds and quenching smoking flax, as a conqueror” - he would be peaceful, retiring; would strengthen the feeble, and would cherish the faintest desires of holiness. This appears to be the general meaning of this quotation here. Compare the notes at Isa_42:1-4.
Mat_12:18
My servant - That is, the Messiah, the Lord Jesus; called a servant from his taking the “form” of a “servant,” or his being born in a humble condition Phi_2:7, and from his obeying or “serving” God. See Heb_10:9.
Shall show judgment to the Gentiles - The word “judgment” means, in the Hebrew, law, “commands, etc.,” Psa_19:9; Psa_119:29-30. It means the “whole system of truth;” the law of God in general; the purpose, plan, or “judgment” of God about human duty and conduct. Here it means, evidently, the system of “gospel truth,” the Christian scheme.
Gentiles - All who were not Jews. This prophecy was fulfilled by the multitudes coming to him from Idumea and beyond Jordan, and from Tyre and Sidon, as recorded by Mar_3:7-8.
Mat_12:19
He shall not strive ... - He shall not shout as a warrior.
He shall be meek, retiring, and peaceful. Streets were places of concourse. The meaning is, that he should not seek publicity and popularity.
Mat_12:20
A bruised reed ... - The reed is an emblem of feebleness, as well as of fickleness or want of stability, Mat_11:7. A bruised, broken reed is an emblem of the poor and oppressed. It means that he would not oppress the feeble and poor, as victorious warriors and conquerors did. It is also an expressive emblem of the soul broken and contrite on account of sin; weeping and mourning for transgression. He will not break it; that is, he will not be severe, unforgiving, and cruel. He will heal it, pardon it, and give it strength.
Smoking flax - This refers to the wick of a lamp when the oil is exhausted - the dying, flickering flame and smoke that hang over it. It is an emblem, also, of feebleness and infirmity. He would not further oppress those who had a little strength; he would not put out hope and life when it seemed to be almost extinct. He would not be like the Pharisees, proud and overbearing, and trampling down the poor. It is expressive, also, of the languishing graces of the people of God. He will not treat them harshly or unkindly, but will cherish the feeble flame, minister the “oil” of grace, and kindle it into a blaze.
Till he send forth judgment unto victory - “Judgment” here means truth - the truth of God, the gospel. It shall be victorious - it shall not be vanquished. Though the Messiah is not “such” a conqueror as the Jews expected, yet he “shall” conquer. Though mild and retiring, yet he will be victorious.
Matt is Esaias the same as Isaiah?
It is the Greek Form of Isaiah
phoney
Recognized Member

Post by phoney »

bizzt wrote:
phoney wrote:I would like to ask what this means Matt 12:17-20 and also Isaiah 42:1-4
That it might be fulfilled ... - Matthew here quotes a passage from Isa_42:1-4, to show the “reason why he thus retired from his enemies and sought concealment.” The Jews, and the disciples also at first, expected that the Messiah would be a conqueror, and vindicate himself from all his enemies. When they saw him retiring before them, and, instead of subduing them by force, seeking a place of concealment, it was contrary to all their previous notions of the Messiah. Matthew by this quotation shows that “their” conceptions of him had been wrong. Instead of a warrior and an earthly conqueror, he was “predicted” under a totally different character. Instead of shouting for battle, lifting up his voice in the streets, oppressing the feeble - “breaking bruised reeds and quenching smoking flax, as a conqueror” - he would be peaceful, retiring; would strengthen the feeble, and would cherish the faintest desires of holiness. This appears to be the general meaning of this quotation here. Compare the notes at Isa_42:1-4.
My servant - That is, the Messiah, the Lord Jesus; called a servant from his taking the “form” of a “servant,” or his being born in a humble condition Phi_2:7, and from his obeying or “serving” God. See Heb_10:9.
Shall show judgment to the Gentiles - The word “judgment” means, in the Hebrew, law, “commands, etc.,” Psa_19:9; Psa_119:29-30. It means the “whole system of truth;” the law of God in general; the purpose, plan, or “judgment” of God about human duty and conduct. Here it means, evidently, the system of “gospel truth,” the Christian scheme.
Gentiles - All who were not Jews. This prophecy was fulfilled by the multitudes coming to him from Idumea and beyond Jordan, and from Tyre and Sidon, as recorded by Mar_3:7-8.
He shall be meek, retiring, and peaceful. Streets were places of concourse. The meaning is, that he should not seek publicity and popularity.
A bruised reed ... - The reed is an emblem of feebleness, as well as of fickleness or want of stability, Mat_11:7. A bruised, broken reed is an emblem of the poor and oppressed. It means that he would not oppress the feeble and poor, as victorious warriors and conquerors did. It is also an expressive emblem of the soul broken and contrite on account of sin; weeping and mourning for transgression. He will not break it; that is, he will not be severe, unforgiving, and cruel. He will heal it, pardon it, and give it strength.
Smoking flax - This refers to the wick of a lamp when the oil is exhausted - the dying, flickering flame and smoke that hang over it. It is an emblem, also, of feebleness and infirmity. He would not further oppress those who had a little strength; he would not put out hope and life when it seemed to be almost extinct. He would not be like the Pharisees, proud and overbearing, and trampling down the poor. It is expressive, also, of the languishing graces of the people of God. He will not treat them harshly or unkindly, but will cherish the feeble flame, minister the “oil” of grace, and kindle it into a blaze.
Till he send forth judgment unto victory - “Judgment” here means truth - the truth of God, the gospel. It shall be victorious - it shall not be vanquished. Though the Messiah is not “such” a conqueror as the Jews expected, yet he “shall” conquer. Though mild and retiring, yet he will be victorious.
bzzit, thanks for the response it is not what I expected. It is however
better than other explainations I have heard in church groups. It is something I will certainly share. Thanks again.
phoney
Recognized Member

Post by phoney »

phoney wrote:
bizzt wrote:
bizzt, thanks for the response it is not what I expected. It is however
better than other explainations I have heard in church groups. It is something I will certainly share. Thanks again.
sorry, spelling. bizzt
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by ageofknowledge »

In my youth, I smoked cannibas almost daily for about eight years. Cannibas negatively affected my decision making, memory, emotions, relationships, ability to earn, etc...

I was supernaturally delivered from my addiction to both cigs and cannibas over twenty years ago at a prayer meeting. Afterwards, I was able to finish college with straight As thru three degree programs and obtain numerous computer certifications.

There were some negative residual effects of the drug that took a few years to fully dissipate. My lungs needed time to fully heal, for example, and my brain needed to adjust to life without it.

I would advise steering clear of any mind altering substances whatsoever. Been there done that. Wish I hadn't. Peace.

NewCreature
Familiar Member

Post by NewCreature »

I have some comments that are based on scripture.

Whatever you find to do, do it in moderation.

Jesus said that what goes into a man doesn't defile a man, but what comes out of a man is what defiles him. Because what a man speaks reflects his heart.

Also Paul talks about how a man is happy when he is convinced in his heart that whatever he alloweth is right.

IT seems you are not convinced that your allowance of marijuana use is proper. Perhaps you are looking for someone to justify what you are unsure about.
Otisblues
Familiar Member

Re: Marijuana and God

Post by Otisblues »

Nowhere do I remember God specifically ordering people to smoke marijuana, so if the law says it is illegal then it is sinful to do so.

First of all, those who use it today are committing a crime, and that in and of itself makes it wicked.

The fact that Marijuana is illegal in the US has no relevance in deciding whether it is a sin to use the drug. That would mean that before it was against the law it was not a sin but now that a law was passed it is a sin. It would also suggest that all laws in the US are the will of God. I can not see how one could believe this.

Why doesn't that “lazy old woman” use legal drugs that doctors can prescribe for her pain, drugs that will be far more effective?

Also, there have been a number of studies that show Marijuana can be effective for pain relief and is not physically addictive like pain medication. It is also suggested from research that Marijuana in some form could make current pain medications more effective. It has been demonstrated that Marijuana does help with glaucoma and with nausea associated with various chemical therapies.

19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

As far as the concern about damaging the temple of the body that certainly brings up many points. I do believe the use of Marijuana is physically damaging to the lungs and so I would not use due to that fact along. But there are so many other health warnings in this country. Using this argument one could make a great case that eating McDonald's French fries is a sin. They have been shown to be a very unhealthy choice of food.

I don't believe anything in itself is sinful. But anything in itself has the potential to be good or bad.
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by ageofknowledge »

Watching someone cough up blood caught in the grip of stage 4 incurable cancer completely addicted to "medical" marijuana has changed my mind about the drug. It's a loser. Get off it before you get cancer of the lungs like that. http://www.settingcaptivesfree.com/home/
Soulbrothernumber7
Newbie Member

Post by Soulbrothernumber7 »

After the Fall of Adam and Eve, God cursed the ground because of it. (Genesis 3:17)

I've been smoking pot just about everday for the past 2 years.... with a total of maybe 4 months within those 2 years without it. That was a great run. I regret ever starting it up again and hope to quit soon. I believe when God cursed the ground, the curse involved everything that grows out of the ground. This includes cannabis, along with many other harmful plants. However, for medicinal purposes marijuana can help a lot of people (along with many other harmful drugs), and I support that.