Does religion cause harm?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

acrossandasong wrote:people are like their fellow creatures, war is certain where ever we go. why? you may ask-> because people are corrupt and not only that but war is a way of survival as well as death, it's never pretty but people fight to maintain their ways of life, not only because of religion, war is grossly essential to life, there is competiton in the wild as well as in civilization, until this age, this time, is over there will be war-> it is only going to get worst and we might as well brace ourselves and stop trying to blame it on something.
I like what James says:

Jam 4:1 ¶ From whence [come] wars and fightings among you? [come they] not hence, [even] of your lusts that war in your members?

Jam 4:2 Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.

Jam 4:3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume [it] upon your lusts.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by puritan lad »

Again, We must examine how atheism made the 20th Century so peaceful :roll: :roll: :roll:
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

peaceful atheism

Post by zoegirl »

Puritan Lad

Exactly right! Especially in light of other threads from obvious atheists here claiming that they are free to do evil whenever they feel an arbitrary injustice!!
RoyLennigan
Recognized Member

Re: peaceful atheism

Post by RoyLennigan »

zoegirl wrote:Puritan Lad

Exactly right! Especially in light of other threads from obvious atheists here claiming that they are free to do evil whenever they feel an arbitrary injustice!!
Don't be decieved; atheism is merely just another guise through which people can exact their own individual will upon others. Any ideology has the ability to do this, especially if it has a large number of followers. It has nothing do to with the argument of God's existence.
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

deceived

Post by zoegirl »

I am not deceived :roll:

You did not follow the converstaion. PL was referring to the oft-recited criticism that religion is the cause of discontent, wars, etc. The obvious corollary to this is that atheism, being found on the rejection of religion (more specifically, God), should automatically be peaceful. PL's rather adroit zing brought the point home. It was in this light that I wrote my comment.

Being beseiged lately with some atheists commeting within this discussion forum and seeing clearly their philosophy of wreaking vengeance, it was rather laughable for atheists to proclaim that their ideology would bring peace. That was the direction of my comment.
RoyLennigan
Recognized Member

Re: deceived

Post by RoyLennigan »

zoegirl wrote:I am not deceived :roll:

You did not follow the converstaion. PL was referring to the oft-recited criticism that religion is the cause of discontent, wars, etc. The obvious corollary to this is that atheism, being found on the rejection of religion (more specifically, God), should automatically be peaceful. PL's rather adroit zing brought the point home. It was in this light that I wrote my comment.

Being beseiged lately with some atheists commeting within this discussion forum and seeing clearly their philosophy of wreaking vengeance, it was rather laughable for atheists to proclaim that their ideology would bring peace. That was the direction of my comment.
Sorry, it was merely my intention to imply that the atheists and agnostics that you encounter to not necessarily account for the views of all atheists and agnostics.

Also, that any ideal that forces a concrete view of things will bring violence and conflict. It is not the inherent nature of religion that causes war, it is the nature of those who weild it. Remember that it is much easier to destroy than it is to create.
Vassal
Newbie Member

Re: deceived

Post by Vassal »

RoyLennigan wrote:
zoegirl wrote:I am not deceived :roll:

Sorry, it was merely my intention to imply that the atheists and agnostics that you encounter to not necessarily account for the views of all atheists and agnostics.

Also, that any ideal that forces a concrete view of things will bring violence and conflict. It is not the inherent nature of religion that causes war, it is the nature of those who weild it. Remember that it is much easier to destroy than it is to create.
Yes, it is the nature of those who wield it. The best place to go to refute a person's claim that they did it “because the Bible told them to” is, in fact, the Bible. People love to take versus in the Bible out of context as a means to justify their own actions. The Bible was actually one of the things that slave owners used as justification for slavery in the Americas, but upon closer examination you can see that slavery in biblical times was much different than it is today. Exodus 21:16 says that anyone who kidnaps a man must be put to death, so obviously the kidnapping and selling of African slaves was not supported by the Bible.

It all comes down to people wanting to satisfy their own selfish desires. It's just like Jesus said in John 3:19-21.
John 3:19-21 wrote:"Their judgment is based on this fact: The light from heaven came into the world, but they loved the darkness more than the light, for their actions were evil. They hate the light because they want to sin in the darkness. They stay away from the light for fear their sins will be exposed and they will be punished. But those who do what is right come to the light gladly, so everyone can see that they are doing what God wants."
People don't like to think they are doing evil and will be punished or feel guilty, this is why people get in such big arguments when people say things like abortion and homosexuality are immoral. This is also why people use religious documents as an excuse for why they did something, because if they can convince themselves that the creator of everything said they could do it, then they have no reason to feel guilty. But those who truly desire to do what is right can easily see though their fallacious arguments, such as “the Bible supports slavery”, simply by reading the Bible in context.