Paul: Acts 9 vs. Galatians 1

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Paul: Acts 9 vs. Galatians 1

Post by Christian2 »

I'm trying to reconcile Paul's accounts of his visits to Jerusalem and I need some help.

Acts 9: (NKJV)

19 So when he had received food, he was strengthened. Then Saul spent some days with the disciples at Damascus.

20 Immediately he preached the Christ in the synagogues, that He is the Son of God.

21 Then all who heard were amazed, and said, “Is this not he who destroyed those who called on this name in Jerusalem, and has come here for that purpose, so that he might bring them bound to the chief priests?”

22 But Saul increased all the more in strength, and confounded the Jews who dwelt in Damascus, proving that this Jesus is the Christ.

23 Now after many days were past, the Jews plotted to kill him.

24 But their plot became known to Saul. And they watched the gates day and night, to kill him.

25 Then the disciples took him by night and let him down through the wall in a large basket.

The above all happened in Damascus. So far Paul has not visited Jerusalem. The "disciples" mention here are not the 12, but the disciples in Damascus.

26 And when Saul had come to Jerusalem, he tried to join the disciples; but they were all afraid of him, and did not believe that he was a disciple.

When was this? When is "when?"

27 But Barnabas took him and brought him to the apostles. And he declared to them how he had seen the Lord on the road, and that He had spoken to him, and how he had preached boldly at Damascus in the name of Jesus.

28 So he was with them at Jerusalem, coming in and going out.

29 And he spoke boldly in the name of the Lord Jesus and disputed against the Hellenists, but they attempted to kill him.

30 When the brethren found out, they brought him down to Caesarea and sent him out to Tarsus.

Galatians 1

18 Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter,[a] and remained with him fifteen days. 19 But I saw none of the other apostles except James, the Lord's brother.

When did this happen using Acts 9 above?

Acts 9:28 says he was going in and out of Jerusalem preaching but Galatians says he only stayed 15 days.

Galatians says the first time Paul went to Jerusalem he went expressly to see Peter, who he stayed with 15 days. During this 15 days he also saw James, Jesus' brother.

If Acts is describing 2nd or 3rd visits and not his first why then are all the disciples afraid of him if he has already lived with Peter 15 days, and saw James on an earlier visit?

This is a puzzle and all the piece should fit. I've looked at it too long and I'm sure I must be missing something.

Anyone have an answer?

Thank you.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

Where is everyone?
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

Maybe they were not meant to be reconciled.

Maybe what I am missing is that Acts 9 and Paul (Gal 1:18) are presenting two different versions of the same event. In Acts it was essential for Paul's calling and authority to be viewed as given by the Church and the other Apostles. Maybe in Galations it was essential for Paul's authority and calling to be viewed as coming directly from God.

Two different theological agendas, two different accounts to support them.
Fortigurn
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Fortigurn »

Does this help?
Turgonian
Christian: No

Post by Turgonian »

Or try Paul: Acts vs. Epistles by JP Holding.
The Bible says they were "willingly ignorant". In the Greek, this means "be dumb on purpose". (Kent Hovind)
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

Fortigurn wrote:Does this help?
I'll print it out and see if it helps. Thank you for the link.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

Turgonian wrote:Or try Paul: Acts vs. Epistles by JP Holding.
I have read that. Holding also has an archived debate with someone on this and other Paul issues and I am making my way through it.

I was hoping that someone on G&S who graduated seminary would have studied this and would have a reasonable answer.

Thank you for trying to help me with this. :D
August
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Paul: Acts 9 vs. Galatians 1

Post by August »

Hi Christian2,

The two passages describe the same event. I don't see any conflicts, excpet if one attempts to read more into the passages than there are.
Christian2 wrote:I'm trying to reconcile Paul's accounts of his visits to Jerusalem and I need some help.

19 So when he had received food, he was strengthened. Then Saul spent some days with the disciples at Damascus.

20 Immediately he preached the Christ in the synagogues, that He is the Son of God.

21 Then all who heard were amazed, and said, “Is this not he who destroyed those who called on this name in Jerusalem, and has come here for that purpose, so that he might bring them bound to the chief priests?”

22 But Saul increased all the more in strength, and confounded the Jews who dwelt in Damascus, proving that this Jesus is the Christ.

24 But their plot became known to Saul. And they watched the gates day and night, to kill him.

25 Then the disciples took him by night and let him down through the wall in a large basket.

The above all happened in Damascus. So far Paul has not visited Jerusalem. The "disciples" mention here are not the 12, but the disciples in Damascus.
Right. Disciples are "learners", while the apostles are teachers specifically assigned by Jesus.
26 And when Saul had come to Jerusalem, he tried to join the disciples; but they were all afraid of him, and did not believe that he was a disciple.

Acts 9:23's "many days" and Gal 1:18's "3 years" is when Paul (or Saul at the time) first went to Jerusalem.
27 But Barnabas took him and brought him to the apostles. And he declared to them how he had seen the Lord on the road, and that He had spoken to him, and how he had preached boldly at Damascus in the name of Jesus.

29 And he spoke boldly in the name of the Lord Jesus and disputed against the Hellenists, but they attempted to kill him.

30 When the brethren found out, they brought him down to Caesarea and sent him out to Tarsus.

Galatians 1

18 Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter,[a] and remained with him fifteen days. 19 But I saw none of the other apostles except James, the Lord's brother.

It all happened after the 3 years that Paul spent preaching after his Damascus road experience, and when he first went to Jerusalem.
Acts 9:28 says he was going in and out of Jerusalem preaching but Galatians says he only stayed 15 days.

Galatians says the first time Paul went to Jerusalem he went expressly to see Peter, who he stayed with 15 days. During this 15 days he also saw James, Jesus' brother.
There is no conflict between the two. Paul preached for 15 days in and around Jerusalem, and then returned home to Tarsus in Cilicia.

Galatians provides more detail about Pauls visit, and tells us who he saw when he first went there.
If Acts is describing 2nd or 3rd visits and not his first why then are all the disciples afraid of him if he has already lived with Peter 15 days, and saw James on an earlier visit?
Both describe the first visit. The only thing that may cause confusion is Acts 9:27, where Barnabas took him to see the apostles. Does this refer to all the apostles, the 12, or not? As Galatians tells us, it does not, it only refers to Peter and James. Barnabas and Paul, for example, were also referred to as apostles, when there was only the two of them present. (Acts 14:14)
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

August wrote:Hi Christian2,

The two passages describe the same event. I don't see any conflicts, excpet if one attempts to read more into the passages than there are.
Christian2 wrote:I'm trying to reconcile Paul's accounts of his visits to Jerusalem and I need some help.

Right. Disciples are "learners", while the apostles are teachers specifically assigned by Jesus.

Acts 9:23's "many days" and Gal 1:18's "3 years" is when Paul (or Saul at the time) first went to Jerusalem.

Galatians 1

It all happened after the 3 years that Paul spent preaching after his Damascus road experience, and when he first went to Jerusalem.

There is no conflict between the two. Paul preached for 15 days in and around Jerusalem, and then returned home to Tarsus in Cilicia.

Galatians provides more detail about Pauls visit, and tells us who he saw when he first went there.
Both describe the first visit. The only thing that may cause confusion is Acts 9:27, where Barnabas took him to see the apostles. Does this refer to all the apostles, the 12, or not? As Galatians tells us, it does not, it only refers to Peter and James. Barnabas and Paul, for example, were also referred to as apostles, when there was only the two of them present. (Acts 14:14)
Hello again August.

Thank you. What you have presented makes sense.

I found a timeline on Paul's travels and I'm going to compare it to yours.

I'll be back if I have additional questions.

Thanks again.
charliebob
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes

Post by charliebob »

Hi, I just read your post, i have the answer for you, altho its rather complicated. It involves acts 9; gal. 1, 2 cor 12, and acts 22; 1-21.

if you need help to figure this out let me know. one of the keys is Gal 1; 17

" neither i went up to Jerusalem to them that were apostles before me;" [ here is where and when he went to Jerusalem, read acts 22;17" ] " but i went into arabia and returned again to Damascus." The year is ad 36, three years later ad 39 he went to see Peter, this study also solves the mystery of 2 cor; 12; 1- 4.

this should get you on the right track
Bob