Books not in the canon?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
hetfield
Familiar Member

Books not in the canon?

Post by hetfield »

What do you people think about books not in the biblical canon? I have yet to read one, but do they bear any significance to the Bible, or relate to any stories?

A friend gave me this link, enjoy.
http://www.sacred-texts.com/index.htm
"The greatest feeling is looking at something, and wondering how it works-"Albert Einstien.
Turgonian
Christian: No

Post by Turgonian »

They are not infallible nor authoritative.

However, 'sacred' literature from other cultures does sometimes relate to the Bible, since all cultures spring from the same source. The website Ancient Days tries to link the biblical accounts to stories from other cultures. This article may be of interest:

Correlating the Texts of Ancient Literature with the Old Testament

An article I found extremely intriguing is Who was Nimrod?, which claims Nimrod is actually a derisive name ('the Rebel') for Gilgamesh!
The Bible says they were "willingly ignorant". In the Greek, this means "be dumb on purpose". (Kent Hovind)
Metacrock
Familiar Member

Post by Metacrock »

Turgonian wrote:They are not infallible nor authoritative.

However, 'sacred' literature from other cultures does sometimes relate to the Bible, since all cultures spring from the same source. The website Ancient Days tries to link the biblical accounts to stories from other cultures. This article may be of interest:

Correlating the Texts of Ancient Literature with the Old Testament

An article I found extremely intriguing is Who was Nimrod?, which claims Nimrod is actually a derisive name ('the Rebel') for Gilgamesh!

that link it terrible. he says "just as biological evolution has not been validated with real evidence..." so its just a creationist trying to transur creationism to social sicences.
Metacrock
Familiar Member

Re: Books not in the canon?

Post by Metacrock »

hetfield wrote:What do you people think about books not in the biblical canon? I have yet to read one, but do they bear any significance to the Bible, or relate to any stories?

A friend gave me this link, enjoy.
http://www.sacred-texts.com/index.htm

Most ancient texts which purport to be Christian religious documents, especially those of Gnsotic vent such as the one's found at Nag Hammadi, where not known to the early chruch and were not considered for the cannon. But of those that were most agree with the Orthodox faith.

The assumption that all kinds of mouth wattering documents that disprove the one's that were chosen were burned and kept out cannot be backed up with any real evidence.