In My Image

Discussions on creation beliefs within Christianity, and topics related to creation.
Mystical
Valued Member

In My Image

Post by Mystical »

When God created humans "In my image" what did 'in my image' mean?
ryo dokomi
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by ryo dokomi »

it was 'in OUR image'
what was meant was the image of the trinity. God is one God, but 3 persons: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
we as humans have three parts too: mind, soul, spirit. our mind is our mental thinking, soul is emotions and such, and the spirit is, well the spirit.
Therefore, submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. James 4:7

it is all about submitting before God, then, and only then, will we have the promise given in Luke 10:19
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

For me, now that I think of it, and this does have to do with evolution (so don't jump on me atheist evolutionists and this isn't a place to post that material), is that perhaps the body and everything is simple as explained by evolution but done so by God (which science pretty much rejects), that is where in Genesis, God breathes life into man, breathes our "being" into us. We are really so many more times complex than our own physical body. We are shells, we contain the spirit and the breath, does a body then have to be complex? And also used for reproduction, all for God's glory. That's my take, take it or leave it :lol:.
hetfield
Familiar Member

Post by hetfield »

ryo dokomi wrote:it was 'in OUR image'
what was meant was the image of the trinity. God is one God, but 3 persons: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
we as humans have three parts too: mind, soul, spirit. our mind is our mental thinking, soul is emotions and such, and the spirit is, well the spirit.
that makes sense, but i'm open to more interpretations, in the book of psalms it claims that God is something other than man having no image, or something like that. I don't know where the verse is at though :(
"The greatest feeling is looking at something, and wondering how it works-"Albert Einstien.
Atticus Finch
Recognized Member

Post by Atticus Finch »

ryo dokomi wrote:it was 'in OUR image'
That's rather silly.

Mind is the conscious awareness of "I" and contemplation on that.

"Soul" whether it exists or not is generally used to describe the essence of a person which makes them animate and different from a non-animate being. We suspect the soul to depart upon death since there's no visible life in the body.

"Spirit" is used in a similar sense to soul by most people in that it represents a sort of living awareness that doesn't seem to be in other life.

Those are the simplified views which should be easy to understand. However, as most parents have found out, the question of whether dogs have "souls" and whether cats have "souls" comes up. Well, do they?

Many people will say that dogs have souls. I ask you, do rabbits? If so, do mice? If so, do spiders? If so, do plants? If so, do atoms? It seems obvious to me that the more consciousness a being has the more we attribute "soul" like qualities to it.

A dog can show a very simple form of love and compassion. However, there's no free-will in any other life other than humans. All creatures besides us are slaves to the enviroment and pure instinct. A human can override ALL of that even in the WORST and most compelling situations.
Turgonian

Post by Turgonian »

Atticus Finch wrote:Those are the simplified views which should be easy to understand. However, as most parents have found out, the question of whether dogs have "souls" and whether cats have "souls" comes up. Well, do they?

Many people will say that dogs have souls. I ask you, do rabbits? If so, do mice? If so, do spiders? If so, do plants? If so, do atoms? It seems obvious to me that the more consciousness a being has the more we attribute "soul" like qualities to it.
Animals don't have a spirit, although they have a mind. They can't communicate with God. Hence, no metaphysics, no art, no culture, no religion, no philosophy.
Atticus Finch wrote:All creatures besides us are slaves to the enviroment and pure instinct. A human can override ALL of that even in the WORST and most compelling situations.
In the power of Christ, I would say -- for this sounds dangerously humanistic...
The Bible says they were "willingly ignorant". In the Greek, this means "be dumb on purpose". (Kent Hovind)
Atticus Finch
Recognized Member

Post by Atticus Finch »

An atheist, a Buddhist, a Muslim, and a Hindu can all overcome instinctual desires and base motivations without Christ.
Turgonian

Post by Turgonian »

Even in the worst and most compelling situations, as you claimed?
The Bible says they were "willingly ignorant". In the Greek, this means "be dumb on purpose". (Kent Hovind)
In God We Trust
Acquainted Member

Post by In God We Trust »

Turgonian wrote:Animals don't have a spirit. . .
Then what does Ecclesiastes 3:21 mean?
Ecclesiastes 3:21
Who knows if the human spirit rises upward and if the spirit of the animal goes down into the earth?"
To me, this implies that animals have spirits.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Atticus Finch wrote:An atheist, a Buddhist, a Muslim, and a Hindu can all overcome instinctual desires and base motivations without Christ.
To a degree that is true. That is because the image of God is present in all men regardless of whether they acknowledge the source or not. This is often referred to as common grace.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender