Adam naming all the living creatures

Discussions on creation beliefs within Christianity, and topics related to creation.
hetfield
Familiar Member

Adam naming all the living creatures

Post by hetfield »

Simply put, I'm a christian, but if there are over a million different species then wouldn't Adam naming ALL of the species of different Animals takes well over a million years. After all in order to just Count to 1 million with no stop it will take man 32 years.
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Adam naming all the living creatures

Post by Gman »

hetfield wrote:Simply put, I'm a christian, but if there are over a million different species then wouldn't Adam naming ALL of the species of different Animals takes well over a million years. After all in order to just Count to 1 million with no stop it will take man 32 years.
That would be a good argument for the OEC than the YEC. Unfortunately the young earth creationist insist that God created the earth in six literal days..
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Turgonian
Christian: No

Post by Turgonian »

First, Adam didn't have to count the species, second, there were a lot less species than there are today. Take all of the horses you have today -- those descended from one variation of horses.
The Bible says they were "willingly ignorant". In the Greek, this means "be dumb on purpose". (Kent Hovind)
hetfield
Familiar Member

Post by hetfield »

Turgonian wrote:First, Adam didn't have to count the species, second, there were a lot less species than there are today. Take all of the horses you have today -- those descended from one variation of horses.
yes but when ever god said every living thing he meant every living thing, so therefore wouldn't Adam have to list off every animal even to date? i'm not sure how many animals there were to start, inform me please
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

The way I see it was that Adam (Man) was given the job of naming all the animals - and we have done that, and are still doing that today. God didn't say that he wanted it all done by a week on Tuesday :wink:
hetfield
Familiar Member

Post by hetfield »

Silvertusk wrote:The way I see it was that Adam (Man) was given the job of naming all the animals - and we have done that, and are still doing that today. God didn't say that he wanted it all done by a week on Tuesday :wink:
no but he left it up to adam, if were still listing the animals today then obviously Adam hasn't done his job, even thought he can't see into the future, I'd expect God to clarify that then or atleat man can clarify the verses
"The greatest feeling is looking at something, and wondering how it works-"Albert Einstien.
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

hetfield wrote:
Silvertusk wrote:The way I see it was that Adam (Man) was given the job of naming all the animals - and we have done that, and are still doing that today. God didn't say that he wanted it all done by a week on Tuesday :wink:
no but he left it up to adam, if were still listing the animals today then obviously Adam hasn't done his job, even thought he can't see into the future, I'd expect God to clarify that then or atleat man can clarify the verses
Question... Did God bring ALL the animals to Adam? What is the beasts of the Field and the Fowls of the Air. Are they all the Beasts and Fowls to encompass the whole Earth or just the Beasts and Fowl of the Region in which Adam lived?

Gen 2:19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.
Gen 2:20 And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found a help meet for him.
Atticus Finch
Recognized Member

Post by Atticus Finch »

You guys have missed the point entirely!

Adam didn't "name" everything! That's laughable.

What is meant by that is that Adam as man, a new creation in nature, had the expanded consciousness and intellect in that he could recognize the qualities of everything and understand their fundamental being. How dry is the interpretation that he simply named everything as literal names!

Adam: Hmmm, I think I'll name this cute fella' a "turtle".
God: Eh... go with "cow" instead.
Eve: Who wants some fruit?

It means that he had the ability to contemplate on the nature of life. Only humans do this! All other animals are simply concerned with their physical survival in life and feeding their new-born and such things. They don't sit around thinking about things like we do. This is the enormous gap between us and every other species.