Is God a scientist?

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
Anonymous

Is God a scientist?

Post by Anonymous »

I'm a firm believer in God, he has touched me and things in my life. It'll probably sound contrdictory, but I find some beliefs in Christianity hard to take on. I always thought of God as a scientist, but I don't know if that's cos I wanted to justify my other beliefs in science. I mean some of the things on Earth and in the Universe are so amazing; how nature is so completely entwined it is dependent on the balance of it's eco-systems in eco-systems. Is God what we call a scientist?
Deborah
Christian: No

Post by Deborah »

I don't know if one can call God a scientist, because as we believe it he is so powerful that he understands all the workings of the Universe and has all knowledge because it is his knowledge that he shares with man from time to time. Perhaps it is more truthful to call god the Master of Science, because he has mastered science while scientists are still exploring science.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

I don't think it's proper to call God a scientist. Science is the discovery of how nature works, and being that God already knows how all of nature works, He isn't in the process of discovering it.

Secondly, this universe is very, very complicated, as we know. It is this amazing degree of complication . . . of finely tuned variables . . . that give us mere humans the sense of awe that we have. I'd like to suggest, though, that it is only complicated due to its purpose. The universe was created to give human beings a place to live. My question for you is this: why didn't God just create a spiritual world? It is quite feasible (at least from our low vantage point) that a spiritual world would be fairly simple so far as structure goes. Why go through all the complications?

Without getting to deep, I'd argue that the reason lies in the fact that God, by pure logical necessity, had to create a world in which decisions could be made (enter free will). This required the passing of time, and if time is required, then there are all sorts of physical ramifications. The human being--God's crowing achievement so far could be considered something of an incubator. We are designed to be a system whereby we can choose to accept or reject God. Enter, then, the redemptive plan of salvation through special revelation as recorded by the Bible.

But, if the above is anything close to true, then this human life is, indeed, very delicate, and an entire predictable universe is required. Enter, then, science.

So, again, I don't think it's proper to consider God a scientist. Scientists are simply observing the machine . . . but what is the purpose of that machine? God is making something MUCH greater . . . an everlasting world for everlasting beings that can live in everlasting harmony with Him. This world will have solved the paradox of free will and the sovereignty of God by allowing the human to choose to enter it. No, God isn't a scientist. He's a Creator who is creating a great and beautiful creation. This "stage" of creation can be studied, and that study we call science.

That, anyway, is my understanding, and I'm rambling now, so I'll stop here.

God bless :)
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Tash
Familiar Member

Post by Tash »

maybe we are his current experiment?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Some people believe we ARE part of an experiment. They say that extraterestials (made from God) watch over us to see how we conduct human interaction between other human beings, what we do to each other, weather we are on the path to salvation or not based on our acceptance into Christ, and so on. It is a theory, but it is considerable. I could see it as an outer scientific study. We are given a universe, we do what we want to do with it while we are being observed from elsewhere we are unable to detect. Bear in mind that I am stating extraterestials watch us not God, well God does too, but I'm saying it could be an experiment. We have tons more to explore outside the Bible than the Bible describes itself and the possibilities are endless. It be weird to die and then all of a sudden you wake up in the Matrix real world all jacked in and you see what it really is like after death? It would be strange. That too is a theory, that we are part of a Matrix, but I think that spawned from the movie itself.
Tash
Familiar Member

Post by Tash »

if god were testing anything it would be chaos theory,
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

I wouldn't call God a scientist for the same reason mentioned above (He knows everything, He doesn't have to figure anything out). I'd call Him a wonderful Architect or Designer. The universe declarese it (if walls could talk...).
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Battlehelmet
Recognized Member

Re: Is God a scientist?

Post by Battlehelmet »

JP wrote:I'm a firm believer in God, he has touched me and things in my life. It'll probably sound contrdictory, but I find some beliefs in Christianity hard to take on. I always thought of God as a scientist, but I don't know if that's cos I wanted to justify my other beliefs in science. I mean some of the things on Earth and in the Universe are so amazing; how nature is so completely entwined it is dependent on the balance of it's eco-systems in eco-systems. Is God what we call a scientist?
God is science.
Battlehelmet
Recognized Member

Post by Battlehelmet »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:I wouldn't call God a scientist for the same reason mentioned above (He knows everything, He doesn't have to figure anything out). I'd call Him a wonderful Architect or Designer. The universe declarese it (if walls could talk...).
Heh.

Funn thing ATKMS...So many evolutionists will -not- reconcile God with thier science. It puzzles me.