Music

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Swamper
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Swamper »

I listen to rock and heavy metal music quite a lot, though I also like classical and choral music.

And rock and metal music are not inherently evil or sexual or whatever. It's more a case of that before rock music, pretty much everyone in a family listened to the same music on the radio and whatnot. Then rock and roll comes along, and the kids are getting into it, while most of the adults are too set in their musical tastes to be open to the new sound, so they demonize it because they don't like it.

Another thing to remember is that with rock, and especially with heavy metal, the lyrics are not the emphasis of the music, the music is.

I listen to them because they sound good. What sounds good is totally subjective.
madscientist
Valued Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Musci

Post by madscientist »

BTW isnt rock also kinda christian music? SOme of it is i think. SO if it is chritsian bands who sing about god etc is it worshipping god? Probably not unless its Gospel music?
Swamper
Valued Member

Post by Swamper »

Yes, there are Christian rock (and even some Christian metal) bands.
madscientist
Valued Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Music

Post by madscientist »

Swamper wrote:Yes, there are Christian rock (and even some Christian metal) bands.
Yes but is it worshipping God? I dont think so. Is the only worshipping music in church and is it gospel only? Or can it be some toher too?
Swamper
Valued Member

Post by Swamper »

Well, by "Christian rock" I don't just mean rock bands whose members are Christian, I mean rock bands who write songs with lyrics about worshipping Jesus and spreading the Word of God.

And I don't quite understand what you mean by "gospel". Do you mean the style of music, or the four Gospels that begin the New Testament?
bluesman
Established Member
Christian: No

blues

Post by bluesman »

It's more a case of that before rock music, pretty much everyone in a family listened to the same music on the radio and whatnot. Then rock and roll comes along, and the kids are getting into it, while most of the adults are too set in their musical tastes to be open to the new sound, so they demonize it because they don't like it.

Thats all true, but you must also remember one thing.
Elvis maybe called the "King of Rock and Roll" , but he certainly didn't invent it. Rock and Roll came from the blues and what was called at the time Rhythm and Blues. Otherwise called the Black man's music. Most of us know what a lot of white families thought of blacks in the 50's.

The start of Rock and Roll includes Chuck Berry, Ike Turner, and Fats Domino.

Michael
Swamper
Valued Member

Post by Swamper »

That is indeed true. It was a racial thing as well.
ryo dokomi
Established Member

Post by ryo dokomi »

well. i personally like a wide range of music.

what i like in order of most favorite to least: Worship, metal, instrumental, rock-alternative-punk, techno, country.

all of the music i listen to is Christian. i will listen to nothing that is done by secular people, with the exception of intrumental and techno.

my favorite bands in each catagory is as follows:

Worship: no favorite, love each and every song. (MercyMe, Paul Baloche, Matt Redman, Michael W. Smith, Newsboys, SonicFlood, Kutless, Third Day, Passion Worship Band)

Metal: Demon Hunter (my all time favorite band), Underoath (their okay), P.O.D. (they're pretty good)

Instrumental: The London Symphony Orchestra (did the Star Wars triligy), Harry Gregson-Williams (did The Chronicles of Narnia), Howard Shore (did The Lord of the Rings)

Rock: Kutless, dc Talk, Audio Adrenaline, Jonah 33, Newsboys, PAX217, Thrice.

Techno: dont currently have techno music anymore, but i still enjoy it if it is around. DJ would be Paul Oakenfold.

there, thats my list...mostly at least....
Therefore, submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. James 4:7

it is all about submitting before God, then, and only then, will we have the promise given in Luke 10:19
hetfield
Familiar Member

Post by hetfield »

well i've been raised in a non christian house hold, not that it's an exuse but i really love heavy metal, it's really melodic at times, and very meaningful at times, it's good stuff, i couldn't think of it as stupid, retarded, cookie monster, screaming jargon as others would put it. there's alot of good heavy metal music, but then again there is also the stupid kind, but anyway l've liked it since i was 7 so for me it's always been a part of my life. I'm sure that some christian metal bands would tell you the same. plus as kids were do you think they got their musical insperation from?
"The greatest feeling is looking at something, and wondering how it works-"Albert Einstien.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

hetfield wrote:well i've been raised in a non christian house hold, not that it's an exuse but i really love heavy metal, it's really melodic at times, and very meaningful at times, it's good stuff, i couldn't think of it as stupid, retarded, cookie monster, screaming jargon as others would put it. there's alot of good heavy metal music, but then again there is also the stupid kind, but anyway l've liked it since i was 7 so for me it's always been a part of my life. I'm sure that some christian metal bands would tell you the same. plus as kids were do you think they got their musical insperation from?
To me I don't see the difference between Christian Metal and secular, besides the spiritual content. I any case can't understand the words in either one. :? But then again I'm old. :lol:
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
bluesman
Established Member

Gospel Blues

Post by bluesman »

I have been getting more into the Gospel Blues althought I always played some Blind Willie Johnson.

I wondering if anyone ever heard of a Glen Kaiser?

or any other Gospel Blues ?

Michael
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Gospel Blues

Post by FFC »

bluesman wrote:I have been getting more into the Gospel Blues althought I always played some Blind Willie Johnson.

I wondering if anyone ever heard of a Glen Kaiser?

or any other Gospel Blues ?

Michael
Glen Kaiser is great! My friend and I used to get together and play his songs on the guitars. Very uplifting blues! Kind of an oxymoron. I love the blues. I want to hear some Christian blues that sound like Lightning Hopkins or Mississippi Fred McDowell :0. The Rawer the better.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
bluesman
Established Member

Raw Blues

Post by bluesman »

Lightning Hopkins or Mississippi Fred McDowell

Two of my favorites, along with the style started with Charly Patton, Son House, Robert Johnson, and early Muddy Waters.

Sam Hopkins is part of the bridge between country acoustic blues and more modern electric texas blues.

I have a whole book of his music and though I don't current play any of his songs I borrow some of his licks and style.

Fred McDowell

"You Got Move....... But When the Lord ....Gets Ready .... You Got to Move..

I play that one and its a favorite of mine.

I also like John Lee Hooker and play some of his older acoustic stuff.

Bottle up and Go, Boggie Chillen that stuff, although I might change the words some.

I like that raw stuff and I have one song where I am doing like a bass drum by thumping on the guitar with the heel of my hand while picking out notes.

Right now though I am polishing "Silent Night" (key of G) , "Go Tell Tell it on the Mountain" (Key of D) and something we call the "Holiday Song" (Key of D). I play all in Open G without Capo. A little slide on "Silent Night" and little more on the "Holiday Song" and I play some harp (harmonica) on "Go Tell it on the Mountain". Our Pastor plays Guitar on all songs and then we have a number of singers. We perform this Friday.

Michael
Katelyn
Newbie Member

Post by Katelyn »

I listen to classical almost 100% of the time. Whether it's classics like Mozart and Bach or classical singers like Josh Groban.

[/quote]And rock and metal music are not inherently evil or sexual or whatever[/quote]

It is true though that the disharmony and the beat can arouse feelings of violence, and even if the lyrics praise Jesus, if the beat does not have harmony than it can not be considered good and something as powerful as music can not be neutral. Like Swamper said

[/quote]Another thing to remember is that with rock, and especially with heavy metal, the lyrics are not the emphasis of the music, the music is.[/quote]

God Bless

><>Katleyn<><
Swamper
Valued Member

Post by Swamper »

Katelyn wrote:It is true though that the disharmony and the beat can arouse feelings of violence, and even if the lyrics praise Jesus, if the beat does not have harmony than it can not be considered good and something as powerful as music can not be neutral.
And why must music have harmony to be considered good? For that matter, what is harmony? What is melody? What about non-Western music, which often has totally different rules of structure and composition that Western music? (by Western music I mean the music styles which developed mainly in Europe over the past 1500 years or so; this would include things like Gregorian chants, classical music, and the various derivative styles thereof)

Also, this is just a random bit of nitpicking, but harmony is not a function of the music's beat.

...sorry, the music major in me was taking over. I'm not trying to antagonize anyone.
God's in his Heaven, all's right with the world.