Love your enemies - should we even love Satan?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Swamper
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Love your enemies - should we even love Satan?

Post by Swamper »

I think the topic title says it all.
Birdie
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Post by Birdie »

I'm sure God loves Satan. Love doesn't mean you would have to obey the person or devil you love.
Turgonian

Post by Turgonian »

I'm sure God's wrath is on Satan.

'Love' does not mean 'have good feelings toward'. It is based on actions, which can even be contrary to our feelings. 'Love your enemies' means you should treat your enemies like you would your friends. Show charity even toward the people who despise you or try to harm you (the 'Good Samaritan' in Jesus's parable went out of his way into danger, to help someone who would have despised him).

Satan does not need or want our charity. We should actively oppose him.
The Bible says they were "willingly ignorant". In the Greek, this means "be dumb on purpose". (Kent Hovind)
pdavid
Acquainted Member

Post by pdavid »

And how might one actively oppose satan?

David
August
Old School

Post by August »

pdavid wrote:And how might one actively oppose satan?

David
By spreading the gospel. The thing that defeats evil in the human context is the blood of Christ, a pillar of the gospel.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
pdavid
Acquainted Member

Post by pdavid »

Surely that's active promotion of the gospel, not active opposition of satan. How does one actively oppose satan? Actively opposing satan is no more possible than actively opposing god. How can you actively oppose something that isn't a direct intervention in your life, rather it is something that exists beyond space and time. You can only see the apparent effects of satan. It is impossible to actively oppose satan because satan exists in a realm inaccessable to you.

The assumption you have made is that promotion of the gospel is a detriment to the devil, and therefore actively opposing the devil. Unless the former is a direct hinderance to the latter, then this cannot be the case.

David
IRQ Conflict
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

pdavid wrote:Actively opposing satan is no more possible than actively opposing god.
Eph 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Rom 13:2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.

Jam 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

Mar 7:21 For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders,

2Co 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
smrpgx
Acquainted Member

Post by smrpgx »

It's a blasphemy to say we should love Satan. Even God Himself hates Satan.
Swamper
Valued Member

Post by Swamper »

smrpgx wrote:It's a blasphemy to say we should love Satan. Even God Himself hates Satan.
Do you have any Bible verses supporting this?
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

Swamper wrote:
smrpgx wrote:It's a blasphemy to say we should love Satan. Even God Himself hates Satan.
Yes I would be quite interested to see this as well -for as far as I am concerned God loves all his creation.
YLTYLT
Established Member

Post by YLTYLT »

I just had this discussion last night with some friends. And I kind of leaned more toward scriptures saying that God loves Satan and so should we.

But Birdie wrote something that gave me something to consider.
Birdie wrote:I'm sure God loves Satan. Love doesn't mean you would have to obey the person or devil you love.
Because, scripture tells us that if we love God we will obey his commands.

So does that mean that to love satan we would obey his commands?

It may be that we obey the commands of those we love AND also Trust.

We have trusted Christ and we show our love by obeying his commands. And although we can love satan, we do not obey his commands because we do not trust him. But I guess you could say you can always trust that Satan will lie.

Just writing whats going through my mind now.......... Any additional thoughts?
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by puritan lad »

Swamper wrote:
Psalm 5:5-6 may be a bombshell for you. (There are others as well).
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

puritan lad wrote:
Swamper wrote:
Psalm 5:5-6 may be a bombshell for you. (There are others as well).
Question. Does God hate the elect when they do wrong?
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by puritan lad »

No, but he is grieved.

In any case, comparing the way God looks at the elect to "loving Satan" won't answer many quandries. :wink:
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

Is Satan the Embodiment of Sin??