Perfect God??

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
pushing70
Newbie Member
Christian: No

Perfect God??

Post by pushing70 »

In spite of (or maybe because of) what I've heard and read from numerous theologians and teachers including the sponsoring web site, and more importantly, from the Bible itself; I can only conclude that Gods' act of creating man was motivated by nothing more than selfishness.
He wanted someone with whom to fellowship. He created man in His image (What an ego!) He wanted this fellowship to be by mans choice. He demanded absolute obedience.
A truly perfect being would lack nothing, need nothing, want nothing outside of itself.
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Re: Perfect God??

Post by Byblos »

pushing70 wrote:In spite of (or maybe because of) what I've heard and read from numerous theologians and teachers including the sponsoring web site, and more importantly, from the Bible itself; I can only conclude that Gods' act of creating man was motivated by nothing more than selfishness.
He wanted someone with whom to fellowship. He created man in His image (What an ego!) He wanted this fellowship to be by mans choice. He demanded absolute obedience.
A truly perfect being would lack nothing, need nothing, want nothing outside of itself.
Are you saying you would rather not have been created at all? I don't know about you but I thank him every day for his creation, warts and all.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

pushing70 wrote:In spite of (or maybe because of) what I've heard and read from numerous theologians and teachers including the sponsoring web site, and more importantly, from the Bible itself; I can only conclude that Gods' act of creating man was motivated by nothing more than selfishness.
Thank you for our anthropomorphic comment of the day.

What do you propose as an adquate reason for creating you?
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by puritan lad »

God does not need us. He did not create us to fulfill any need or desire of His. He is truly perfect, lacking nothing. He created us for His own pleasure, not His needs.

"All the nations are as nothing before Him; they are regarded by Him as less than nothing and meaningless." (Isa. 40:17)

"I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is no one like Me, declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times things which have not been done, saying, My purpose will be established, and I will accomplish all My good pleasure." (Isa. 46:9-10)

"The God who made the world and all things in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands; neither is He served by human hands, as though He needed anything, since He Himself gives to all life and breath and all things." (Acts 17:24-25)

A much needed antidote to the modern "self-esteem" gospel. In the grand scheme of things, we really aren't that important.
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

puritan lad wrote:
God does not need us. He did not create us to fulfill any need or desire of His. He is truly perfect, lacking nothing. He created us for His own pleasure, not His needs.

"All the nations are as nothing before Him; they are regarded by Him as less than nothing and meaningless." (Isa. 40:17)

"I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is no one like Me, declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times things which have not been done, saying, My purpose will be established, and I will accomplish all My good pleasure." (Isa. 46:9-10)

"The God who made the world and all things in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands; neither is He served by human hands, as though He needed anything, since He Himself gives to all life and breath and all things." (Acts 17:24-25)

A much needed antidote to the modern "self-esteem" gospel. In the grand scheme of things, we really aren't that important.
God loves me enough to send Jesus Christ to redeem me and restore me to right relationship to Himself.

Certainly we need balance. I choose to rejoice in the knowledge that God's love for me is such, and in that I find my value, entirely on the basis of grace.

That's important enough for me. ;)
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
LowlyOne
Established Member

Post by LowlyOne »

In spite of (or maybe because of) what I've heard and read from numerous theologians and teachers including the sponsoring web site, and more importantly, from the Bible itself; I can only conclude that Gods' act of creating man was motivated by nothing more than selfishness. He wanted someone with whom to fellowship. He created man in His image (What an ego!) He wanted this fellowship to be by mans choice. He demanded absolute obedience.
In spite of what I've heard and read from numerous infidels, I can only conclude that God's act of creating man was motivated by nothing less that selflessness and courtesy. He was so selfless that he decided to create living beings who could be graced with the perfect gift known to mankind, everlasting fellowship and unity with the Creator Himself, the Lord of Glory. By creating man in His image, they too were to be creatures of glory, as a consequence of being crowned with glory, and to have a purpose of being a reflection of God's beauty and glory. God's purpose is to be the everlasting Father, and the sustainer of life, and to start a family and bring many sons and daughters unto glory. (Heb. 2:10)

Once we enter into the gate of the eternal city, we shall see for ourselves just how glorious God and His kingdom really is:

http://www.revelationillustrated.com/shop/image35.asp

Psalm 8:3 When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, The moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? And the son of man, that thou visitest him? 5 For thou hast made him but little lower than God, And crownest him with glory and honor. 6 Thou makest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; Thou hast put all things under his feet: 7 All sheep and oxen, Yea, and the beasts of the field, 8 The birds of the heavens, and the fish of the sea, Whatsoever passeth through the paths of the seas. 9 O Jehovah, our Lord, How excellent is thy name in all the earth!
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

I believe that God did create according to His good pleasure. I also believe that if God is as loving and gracious as the scriptures say than He created us to lavish Himself upon us. If God is love that He needs an object to display that love of it would just be a word.

God is not egotistical in any way...although if anyone had the right to be, it would be Him. God is meek and humble and allowed Himself to be hung on a cross to reconcile us wretched sinners unto Himself.

I'm so sick and tired of hearing this argument. If this is all one has, to have to attack The creator of the universe's character, than go your merry way and see how it works for you. :x :twisted:
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

Where do these guys get this stuff?? God is selfish... Right. We are all lucky to be alive... Actually I'm kind of surprised on how long he has let us live. I don't think I would allow it... The kind of junk we pull? He has to be a God of mercy to allow that stuff.

I've been reading the Bible for over 30 years now and I can never figure out how some people come up with these accusations. It would have to be one of the following:

1. They have read the Bible and don't understand what it is saying.
2. They haven't read the Bible and are willfully ignorant.
3. They just don't care.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
LowlyOne
Established Member

Post by LowlyOne »

well said gman, FFC!
FFC

Post by FFC »

Gman wrote:Where do these guys get this stuff?? God is selfish... Right. We are all lucky to be alive... Actually I'm kind of surprised on how long he has let us live. I don't think I would allow it... The kind of junk we pull? He has to be a God of mercy to allow that stuff.

I've been reading the Bible for over 30 years now and I can never figure out how some people come up with these accusations. It would have to be one of the following:

1. They have read the Bible and don't understand what it is saying.
2. They haven't read the Bible and are willfully ignorant.
3. They just don't care.
4. To admit that God is real they would have to change their world view and stop their self centered egotistical mindset, which would mean submitting their lives to The one true God. It just seems easier to them to tear God down to justify their sinful lives.

Ok, I'll stop now. :oops:
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

In this case, I think FFC has proven the most important point... No one wants to be held accountable..

Good show.. :D
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Turgonian

Post by Turgonian »

puritan lad wrote:God does not need us. He did not create us to fulfill any need or desire of His. He is truly perfect, lacking nothing. He created us for His own pleasure, not His needs.
This is true. However, further on in your post, you're going too far.
puritan lad wrote:A much needed antidote to the modern "self-esteem" gospel. In the grand scheme of things, we really aren't that important.
We are the only race to whom God sent His Son. God Himself died for us -- the most important thing that could possibly happen in the universe. What's more important than us in this 'grand scheme' you talk about? Angels? Animals? Plants? Galaxies?
FFC wrote:God is meek and humble and allowed Himself to be hung on a cross to reconcile us wretched sinners unto Himself.
That's going too far the other way. God is not 'meek and humble', but sovereign and kingly, who can and does make full use of His power. He chose, in His glory, to be shamed so He could save His creatures, but that does not say God's Being is meek and humble.
pushing70 wrote:He created man in His image (What an ego!)
Ah. Here's someone who would rather have been a jellyfish. We can pretend you are, if you'd prefer it. :lol:
The Bible says they were "willingly ignorant". In the Greek, this means "be dumb on purpose". (Kent Hovind)
FFC

Post by FFC »

Turgy wrote:That's going too far the other way. God is not 'meek and humble', but sovereign and kingly, who can and does make full use of His power. He chose, in His glory, to be shamed so He could save His creatures, but that does not say God's Being is meek and humble.
I don't think so. Jesus was the exact representation of God. Jesus said He was meek and lowly of heart (humble). Jesus is God and the same yesterday today and forever. You are assuming that God cannot be soveriegn and Kingly and meek and humble at the same time. I think Jesus proved you wrong, Turgy.

Turgonian

Post by Turgonian »

Jesus came to serve. Serving and saving was His primary mission on earth. What about the eschatological Kingdom of Heaven? By all accounts, we will give glory to God; He will not stoop to wash our feet again, like Jesus did. ;)
Good point, though.
The Bible says they were "willingly ignorant". In the Greek, this means "be dumb on purpose". (Kent Hovind)
akiracapsule
Newbie Member

a perfect god

Post by akiracapsule »

the simple fact of god "thinking" or creating humans is an infalibility.

if god was really perfect, he would not need to do ANYTHING

let alone make little clones of himself.