Nazareth and the letter J

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Anonymous

Nazareth and the letter J

Post by Anonymous »

Hi,

On another discussion site (for atheists though) somebody made the claim that the town of Nazareth did not exist at the time Jesus was alive and also the letter J in the alphabet used by the Jews did not exist either, just wondering if anybody could help me on this?
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

who cares if the letter J did not exist? They called Jesus Yeshua.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Can they fill in the details on when Nazareth existed, and back their claims? Most simply try to say it didn't exist at all, but it seems silly to reason it didn't exist simply because we do not know that much about it from a variety of sources (or based on a prejudice against Scripture).

Given that Nazareth was very small, of no real significance other than Christ's being associated with Nazareth, it makes sense there wouldn't be much mention of it—especially at a time where the printing press wasn't yet around. What reason is their to deny its existence in the absense of any real evidence against it, and some positive evidence for it? I can see only one, and it lies with motivation.

As for Jesus, Yeshua is the original Hebrew name for Jesus.

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I'm still waiting on their replys about their claim, and I'm sure their reason lies within their motivation. Thanks for your help.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

They refered to this site in regards to Nazareth

http://www.jesusneverexisted.com/nazareth.html
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

We are screwed, atheists have won. One look and research on the webpage shows in depth articles on the non-existance of God and Jesus. Let's face it, there is no God or Jesus, the website has plently of evidence to back it up that two_phat mentioned.
Deborah
Christian: No

Post by Deborah »

UM remember in the bible, you know the one, the one that is the word of God!
It states that lies will look like truths!
It says we will be tested!
Do not fail that test!
Gods word says PROVE ALL THINGS 1Th 5:21 Prove all things, hold fast to the good.

1Jo 5:19 We know that we are of God, and all the world lies in evil.
2Co 2:11 so that we should not be overreached by Satan, for we are not ignorant of his devices.

2Th 2:11-12 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie, so that all those who do not believe the truth, but delight in unrighteousness, might be condemned.

2Th 2:11-12 - For this cause God shall send them strong delusion. Because they do not receive the truth. He who refuses to receive the truth will at last believe lies. It is the law of human nature. God sends the delusion by natural laws.

Be damned. Because "they had pleasure in unrighteousness."

Peoples New Testiment
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hmm, good point Deborah, didn't know that. I am just starting Acts in the New Testement. So what you are saying is that anybody can manipulate things to look like fact when it is not? Do you have any more scripture to back things up?
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

go to http://www.e-sword.net/
download it and whatever bibles you like so you can check them against ech other. but then do a search I did one but got 5000 hits =(( I couldn;t go through them all sorry.
right now I am searching for info on Nazareth but i did find this one

http://www.inisrael.com/tour/nazareth/history.htm
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

two_phat wrote:They refered to this site in regards to Nazareth

http://www.jesusneverexisted.com/nazareth.html
:lol: Get off the ground—if someone said you weren't alive would you believe them?!? There isn't even one scholar quoted on that page, nor is it clear what qualifications the author has (which seem obvious to me are none related to the topic at hand). Surely irrational skeptics can do better than to cite a page dedicated to propaganda against Christianity? Where are the published articles by professional historians, or even respectable quotes of people without bias or in their profession? On the other hand:
  • "Despite Nazareth's obscurity (which had led some critics to suggest that it was a relatively recent foundation), archeology indicates that the village has been occupied since the 7th century B.C., although it may have experienced a 'refounding' in the 2d century b.c. " ([MJ]A Marginal Jew--Rethinking the Historical Jesus, (vol 1), p.300-301)...cites Meyers and Strange, Archeology, the Rabbis, and Early Christianity, Abingdon:1981. pp.56-57

"Despite the Hellenization of the general region and the probability that Greek was known to many people it seems likely that Nazareth remained a conservative Jewish village. After the Jewish war with the Romans from AD 66-70 it was necessary to re-settle Jewish priests and their families. Such groups would only settle in unmixed towns, that is towns without Gentile inhabitants. According to an inscription discovered in 1962 in Caesarea Maritima the priests of the order of Elkalir made their home in Nazareth. This, by the way, is the sole known reference to Nazareth in antiquity, apart from written Christian sources... (next paragraph) Some scholars had even believed that Nazareth was a fictitious invention of the early Christians; the inscription from Caesarea Maritima proves otherwise."

(Quotes sourced from http://www.christian-thinktank.com/nazy.html)
Even if no evidence existed outside of the NT, there is no valid reason to assume Nazareth never existed in the face of writings it did. Just because skepticism is possible, it does not follow it is reasonable, or that one should only believe something when all skepticism is ruled out.
JF wrote: One look and research on the webpage shows in depth articles on the non-existance of God and Jesus. Let's face it, there is no God or Jesus, the website has plently of evidence to back it up that two_phat mentioned.
Sorry, but I have to say, you truly are a freak. Did you know you're not really alive? :P

Kurieuo.
Last edited by Kurieuo on Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Thanks alot everyone
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

Kurieuo wrote:[Sorry, but I have to say, you truly are a freak. Did you know you're not really alive? :P

Kurieuo.
That is kind of unfair.
It's such sites as jesusneverexisted.com that spout garbage that is INTENDED to confuse new Christians and make them doubt, and turn people away who have not made up their minds yet. This site kind of overlooks the ancient wars that were fought around the area.

Example During the Jewish War Galilee resisted Roman Authority. Nazareth a Jewish town gave aid to the Jewish rebels, and as a result the roman general Titus destroyed Nazareth in 67BCE

Some Chronology on Nazareth available here: http://www.ancientroute.com/cities/Nazareth.htm

REMEMBER God wants us to 1Th 5:21 Prove all things, hold fast to the good.

As a new Christian myself I know how easy it is to get confused.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

I only intended the comment to tease a little, hence the razz (:P). The freak comment was simply drawn from JF's alias "JesusFreak." I did not intend to offend, and apologise if it came across that way. :oops:

However, I did wish to express that I thought it silly, or incredible, that someone would so easily throw in the towel because of information found on a website serving as obvious propaganda against Christianity. One should always examine both sides, and never take "one" sources words as fact, especially when the particular source provides no information about themselves to give them some credibility that they would know what they're talking about. One should also look at the motives of the person who writes, and pay attention to any references and quotes, including whether the people they quote have any authority in the area they're talking about. That page seemed to have a lot of opinion, but lacked credibility when the author came to backing up his opinions.

Kurieuo.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

oh I was going to throw in the towel or anything, I had and have no real doubts that Jesus Christ existed and is Lord. It was just something that was brought up, i was interested in and decided to find out about. Its on an atheist run site so its pretty clear what his motives are. thanks to everybody anyway
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I mean't wasn't* going to throw in the towel