Whats wrong with atheism?

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

ryo dokomi wrote:
puritan lad wrote:Let's just say you pointed out a big reason why we do not have revival today. There is no fear of God.

I'll leave it at that.
ill agree that we need to fear God in what he can and will eventually have take place. but what i dont see as truth is fearing him only. if you have a man that comes into your home, and threatens to kill you a horibble, gruesome, painful death, you are going to fear him. but, will you turn around and look into his eyes, and in your heart, love him for what he is...i think not. thats what i see. i feel that Fearing God is a big point, but also, remember that fear is not of God...

God is Love
Love casts out all Fear

God casts out all fear.

2 Tim. 1:7 "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and LOVE and of a sound mind."

When i see it written to fear God, i see that we are to fear Him for what will happen if we do not beleive and trust in him.
When the Scriptures speak of Fearing God, the context usually incorporates more than just the concept of "fear" in the common English understanding of a strong concern with punishment and wrath.

It is speaking of a reverential awe that certainly includes the idea of punishment of sin at the hands of a Holy God but which extends beyond that to include an overwhelming sense of God's holiness.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
ryo dokomi
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by ryo dokomi »

Canuckster1127 wrote:
ryo dokomi wrote:
puritan lad wrote:Let's just say you pointed out a big reason why we do not have revival today. There is no fear of God.

I'll leave it at that.
ill agree that we need to fear God in what he can and will eventually have take place. but what i dont see as truth is fearing him only. if you have a man that comes into your home, and threatens to kill you a horibble, gruesome, painful death, you are going to fear him. but, will you turn around and look into his eyes, and in your heart, love him for what he is...i think not. thats what i see. i feel that Fearing God is a big point, but also, remember that fear is not of God...

God is Love
Love casts out all Fear

God casts out all fear.

2 Tim. 1:7 "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and LOVE and of a sound mind."

When i see it written to fear God, i see that we are to fear Him for what will happen if we do not beleive and trust in him.
When the Scriptures speak of Fearing God, the context usually incorporates more than just the concept of "fear" in the common English understanding of a strong concern with punishment and wrath.

It is speaking of a reverential awe that certainly includes the idea of punishment of sin at the hands of a Holy God but which extends beyond that to include an overwhelming sense of God's holiness.
umm...thats what i meant...? lol. its really what i was trying to get across....though i seem to be lacking in enough education to get that across the first time....well, thanks for clearing that up..i totally agree. ^_^
Therefore, submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. James 4:7

it is all about submitting before God, then, and only then, will we have the promise given in Luke 10:19
Birdie
Recognized Member

Post by Birdie »

A RIDDLE FOR ATHEISTS

Johnny is 11. He is being taught the principles of the american constitution and its amendments by his atheistic parents. Recent lessons given him has focused on the first amendment.

The other day, Johnny's school teacher gave him some math problems for homework. When his teacher checked his homework the next day, she was astonished that Johnny gave everyone of the problems incorrect answers.

His teacher therefore called him to her desk and asked him had he forgotten how to solve such problems. But Johnny said to his teacher, "None of my answers are incorrect." His teacher asked him why did he say such, and he said, "Because the answers are the ones I believe them to be, and I have a constitutional right to my opinion. You have the opinion that the answers should be such and such, but I say differently. You cannot say my answers are wrong. I have the right to my opinion and you have the right to yours. If you are dogmatic that my answers should be the same as yours, that makes you self-righteous and a biggot. If you say my answers are wrong, you are judging me. Judge not lest you be judged. I deserve an 'A' like everyone else."

The riddle is this: Who is right, Johnny or his teacher? Is there an atheist who can solve this riddle?
Can't the same thing be said about Christians? And how can this guy compare proof of God to math?
WHY ATHEISTS HATE AND DENY GOD

Have you wondered, oh atheist, what makes you feel the way you do about the Almighty God, your Creator? Have you wondered what makes you deny His existence - what makes you fight against Him - what makes you have such a strong negative attitude against Him - what makes you hate Him?

Why would someone hate something they don't think exist? It's not hate toward God; it's hate toward Christians. :lol:

The technique this guy uses is trying to group all athiest as thinking the same and being the same...
I received an email from an atheist the other day. In it he stated: "As an atheist, I do not believe in the existence of evil..." That is a most sad statement!

It's one of the core points which make me gag from the existence of atheism. It's one thing that makes atheism so dangerous for mankind and a terrible plague on earth that should be hated by all societies with the deepest of hatred. It should be recognized by all governments as a plague which has no right to existence.
Saying that all atheistic kids are worst than Christians…
Adult atheists will not admit it, but this is why I am such a diabolical kid. Atheism, which is really true satanism, prompts me to cause trouble. I cause a lot of trouble for my parents, and they are afraid of me. I deliberately make school hell. I like taunting and beating up on weak kids and Christian kids. I like giving the teachers and principal a hard time. They also are afraid of me. I like to make a name for myself among my friends so I do things deliberately to get in trouble with the law. I dare even law enforcement to apprehend me. Hey, atheists have fixed the laws of american in such a way that I am not afraid to do anything wrong. I can do anything and nothing will happen to me.
And huh? If anything the media promotes Christianity. Like the cross thingy always scares the monsters away. :lol: It just also promotes bad behavior sometimes.
Adult atheists will not admit it, but this is why I am such a diabolical kid. Atheism, which is really true satanism, prompts me to cause trouble. I cause a lot of trouble for my parents, and they are afraid of me. I deliberately make school hell. I like taunting and beating up on weak kids and Christian kids. I like giving the teachers and principal a hard time. They also are afraid of me. I like to make a name for myself among my friends so I do things deliberately to get in trouble with the law. I dare even law enforcement to apprehend me. Hey, atheists have fixed the laws of american in such a way that I am not afraid to do anything wrong. I can do anything and nothing will happen to me.
And don't give this guy a gun. And does he mean mean kids or kids who are athesit? :?
Note from Robert T. Lee:

Alas, this is a most sad example of what atheism and non belief in God is doing to america's youth. Any kid that has the same or similar attitude of the one described by this 13 year old ought to be put to death immediately by the government.
Hopefully not all Christains are like this... :?
Last edited by Birdie on Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Birdie.

Did you see anybody on this thread supporting this person's approach?

Bart
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Birdie
Recognized Member

Post by Birdie »

Canuckster1127 wrote:Birdie.

Bart
Did I say you did? Meet some who would agree with his approach though. :roll:
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

Birdie wrote:
Canuckster1127 wrote:Birdie.

Bart
Did I say you did? Meet some who would agree with his approach though. :roll:
Sadly there are jerks in all walks of life and beliefs. It makes me sick and I don't think God is too overjoyed either. :x
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

Agreed, in fact I know more atheists that are actually walking a more Godly life than some Christians I know, even though they don't attribute their love to God. I'm not saying this to be overly nice either... It's a FACT that I firmly believe. These people wouldn't even hurt a fly...
garza
Acquainted Member

Post by garza »

That essay, or sermon, is the sort of thing we atheists face all the time. Some will react, I don't. I feel pity for the person who wrote that. He is so filled with hate that it must be tearing him up inside.

Please make no comparison between that person and Jonathan Edwards, who happens to be one of my favourite writers. His command of language was absolutely brilliant. 'Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God' is a masterpiece of English literature. And from all reports, his delivery was as powerful as his writing. I may not agree with his message, but as a writer, I can certainly admire the work of a master craftsman.
Turgonian

Post by Turgonian »

Robert T. Lee wrote:Adult atheists will not admit it, but this is why I am such a diabolical kid. Atheism, which is really true satanism, prompts me to cause trouble. I cause a lot of trouble for my parents, and they are afraid of me. I deliberately make school hell. I like taunting and beating up on weak kids and Christian kids. I like giving the teachers and principal a hard time. They also are afraid of me. I like to make a name for myself among my friends so I do things deliberately to get in trouble with the law. I dare even law enforcement to apprehend me. Hey, atheists have fixed the laws of american in such a way that I am not afraid to do anything wrong. I can do anything and nothing will happen to me.
I attend a Calvinist school. Last year I went on a trip to London with a bunch of kids aged 12-13. One saw a girl in Hyde Park who wasn't clothed too decently. He proposed that we beat up the park guard and torture and rape the girl.
So much for the saintliness of kids with a Christian education.
The Bible says they were "willingly ignorant". In the Greek, this means "be dumb on purpose". (Kent Hovind)
Birdie
Recognized Member

Post by Birdie »

Turgonian wrote:
Robert T. Lee wrote:Adult atheists will not admit it, but this is why I am such a diabolical kid. Atheism, which is really true satanism, prompts me to cause trouble. I cause a lot of trouble for my parents, and they are afraid of me. I deliberately make school hell. I like taunting and beating up on weak kids and Christian kids. I like giving the teachers and principal a hard time. They also are afraid of me. I like to make a name for myself among my friends so I do things deliberately to get in trouble with the law. I dare even law enforcement to apprehend me. Hey, atheists have fixed the laws of american in such a way that I am not afraid to do anything wrong. I can do anything and nothing will happen to me.
I attend a Calvinist school. Last year I went on a trip to London with a bunch of kids aged 12-13. One saw a girl in Hyde Park who wasn't clothed too decently. He proposed that we beat up the park guard and torture and rape the girl.
So much for the saintliness of kids with a Christian education.
Wow... sure he wasn't kidding (really bad joke)? :shock: I don't exactly go around wearing a nun's habit, hope no one saying stuff like that about me. Also I just noticed any church leader who did talk about atheists only said really bad stuff about ALL of them, but most church leaders don't mention them, I might try asking one of the church leaders what they think about it. :D
Turgonian

Post by Turgonian »

Oh, I'm sure he wasn't seriously proposing it. However, the very thought is disgusting, and not being ashamed of it, but rather thinking it's cool to come up with something like that, is...hm...totally depraved... :shock:
The Bible says they were "willingly ignorant". In the Greek, this means "be dumb on purpose". (Kent Hovind)
roverdisc1
Acquainted Member

Birdie

Post by roverdisc1 »

I will at this time take extreme exception to your "joke". It does not take an atheist, a christian, a jew or any other group you choose to prejudice the answer to this question. Have you ever read the first amendment yourself? Do actually know what dogma means?

Although you have not posed the questions nor the answer to the questions, Let's assume that Johnny did get math questions wrong, he may have still been correct based on his first amendment rights.....RIGHTS....and let's see exactly what they are........"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the of speech, or of the press, or of the right of the people to peaceably to assemble, and to partition the Government for a redress of the people.

So he may have gotten the math problem wrong, YOU, had no right to even pose this question as it had no bearing on the conversation whatsoever. If you ever wish to pose a question to a person that has intelligence, please let me know and we will spar.
roverdisc1
Acquainted Member

Post by roverdisc1 »

oops, it was birdies reply i was responding to
RebelSnake
Newbie Member

Post by RebelSnake »

A RIDDLE FOR ATHEISTS

Johnny is 11. He is being taught the principles of the american constitution and its amendments by his atheistic parents. Recent lessons given him has focused on the first amendment.

The other day, Johnny's school teacher gave him some math problems for homework. When his teacher checked his homework the next day, she was astonished that Johnny gave everyone of the problems incorrect answers.

His teacher therefore called him to her desk and asked him had he forgotten how to solve such problems. But Johnny said to his teacher, "None of my answers are incorrect." His teacher asked him why did he say such, and he said, "Because the answers are the ones I believe them to be, and I have a constitutional right to my opinion. You have the opinion that the answers should be such and such, but I say differently. You cannot say my answers are wrong. I have the right to my opinion and you have the right to yours. If you are dogmatic that my answers should be the same as yours, that makes you self-righteous and a biggot. If you say my answers are wrong, you are judging me. Judge not lest you be judged. I deserve an 'A' like everyone else."

The riddle is this: Who is right, Johnny or his teacher? Is there an atheist who can solve this riddle?
This is not a riddle but a sad excuse of a joke. I have no idea who this Robert Lee is but he is definitelly in need of some mental help. This so-called riddle can be answered with a single statement. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, but no one is entitled to their own facts.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

RebelSnake wrote:
A RIDDLE FOR ATHEISTS

This is not a riddle but a sad excuse of a joke. I have no idea who this Robert Lee is but he is definitelly in need of some mental help. This so-called riddle can be answered with a single statement. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, but no one is entitled to their own facts.
That's a good point rebelsnake. No-one here has shown support for this particular person in that regard.

Do you think there is a point in evolutionary theory, as presented today, that elevates above fact into opinion, and if yes, at what point?