How do you view Islam? Vote in Poll

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Post by Byblos »

zstep14 wrote:Out of the top ten countries with the highest population of Muslims, only two, which are Pakistan and Iran, are in the Middle East.
Pakistan in the Middle East? I don't think so.
zstep14
Familiar Member

Post by zstep14 »

Pakistan can be classified as part of the Greater Middle East, thanks to President Bush, as opposed to the the traditional Middle East. It can go either way.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

zstep14 wrote:
Pakistan can be classified as part of the Greater Middle East, thanks to President Bush, as opposed to the the traditional Middle East. It can go either way.
What does that mean? What did Bush do to reclassify Pakistan? And why is it not in the geography books already?
Gman
Old School
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

Canuckster, I know you mean well but these verses taken from the Koran do not stack up. It's more like putting a band aid on a huge gash. Many of these are conditional verses, (like if you do this, it's good, if not Allah will tear your head off). Unfortunately, the core of the doctrine is evil and should be disposed of. I do see your point however, what would Jesus do? Love the people and hate the doctrine or love the sinner but hate the sin... Other than that I think I get what you are saying.

G -
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

Byblos wrote:
zstep14 wrote:
What does that mean? What did Bush do to reclassify Pakistan? And why is it not in the geography books already?
LOL

Up till a few years ago Bush probably had no idea, where Pakistan was.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

It's next to Ohio right?
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Gman wrote:
Canuckster, I know you mean well but these verses taken from the Koran do not stack up. It's more like putting a band aid on a huge gash. Many of these are conditional verses, (like if you do this, it's good, if not Allah will tear your head off). Unfortunately, the core of the doctrine is evil and should be disposed of. I do see your point however, what would Jesus do? Love the people and hate the doctrine or love the sinner but hate the sin... Other than that I think I get what you are saying.

G -
I'm not defending Islam. I'm simply saying it does little good to paint an entire religious movement with one brush and ignore that there are reasonable and caring people within the movement as well.

I believe the islamacist militant movement is a logical extension of the Koran.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

it does little good to paint an entire religious movement with one brush and ignore that there are reasonable and caring people within the movement as well.
Good point, we all know the dogmatic approach to it is just as bad and hurts the person...

G -
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:
Byblos wrote:
zstep14 wrote:
LOL

Up till a few years ago Bush probably had no idea, where Pakistan was.
*Sigh* My crystal balls were wrong again...The only thing you say is that...

"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

Don't have much time, lately.. I'll post a doozie at the beginning of next month for you.

=)
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
zstep14
Familiar Member

Post by zstep14 »

Does anyone think about the striking similarities between Islam and Christianity? Or, no?
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

zstep14 wrote:Does anyone think about the striking similarities between Islam and Christianity? Or, no?
What striking similarities.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Tim S
Acquainted Member

Post by Tim S »

I've spent a little bit of time in the Middle East (in the nineties) and I've enjoyed my visits there. The Arabs and Egyptians have a very rich culture and in general are friendly people. However, Muslims in that culture are not free to accept Salvation thru Christ without dire consequences. In this country and Western culture, you merely risk some ridicule and the possible estrangement of friends from your "old" life. In the Muslim world, you literally risk your life. To spread the Gospel there is as big a challenge as it has been anywhere or anytime in history. This is their only hope for any meaningful peace, let alone Salvation. Like the sinners all around us here, they are to be loved, reached out to, and prayed for (and I'm feeling conviction as I type)
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Does anyone think about the striking similarities between Islam and Christianity? Or, no?
They both claim to be monotheistic but when you look at it verse by verse they worship differnet Gods. Christianity and Islam do not mix... Christianity is the only faith in the world where salvation comes by faith and NOT by works. You cannot work your way up to God... Good deeds, praying in the right direction, will NOT please God, only the blood of Jesus can do that.

When I was a younger lad (I'm in my 40's now) I really didn't like Christianity or the claims they made against other faiths. So I decided to drop out of college for 8 years to study all the faiths... After bouncing around a bit, and going through a lot of trauma, I have come to the conclusion that Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to salvation. We would all like to be right, but unfortunately (as narrow as that might sound) there cannot be multiple ways to come back to God. Either what was written in the Bible is completely true or it's completely false...

Best thing to do is just read the Koran and make own your decisions, (but it may be better to have a good understanding of Christ first before you study it). As Canuckster has said we don't lord our faith over the muslims and try to belittle them. We come to them with peace and understanding.

G -
zstep14
Familiar Member

Post by zstep14 »

Well, in Islam, Jesus is sinless (I'm pretty sure) and more holy than the Prophet Muhammad. Mary is the only women ever mentioned in the Qur'an by her name. Most Muslims call Christians and Jews "People of the Book"

It's those kind of things that I find interesting I guess. Muslims give much respect to Jesus, even though they do not think of him to be the Son of God.