Whats wrong with atheism?

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
godslanguage

Whats wrong with atheism?

Post by godslanguage »

Anyone read this article before:

Its a little hardcore if you ask me

http://www.tencommandments.org/heathens3.shtml
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Whats wrong with atheism?

Post by Canuckster1127 »

godslanguage wrote:Anyone read this article before:

Its a little hardcore if you ask me

http://www.tencommandments.org/heathens3.shtml
You think? ;)

Robert T. Lee doesn't tell us very much about himself on his site. A brief google on him brought up a few Atheist sites that have some material counter to his.

Given there's not much about him and with a quick look at his site, I don't find him particularly credible or effective in his opinions. That doesn't mean I don't agree with some of what he has to say however.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by bizzt »

Wow talk about hardcore. He has been Hurt by something in his Life! Sounds like Pat Robertson from the 700 Club in a way :)
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

WoW!

Robert T. Lee certainly can't be called mealymouthed! That said, I don't think his approach will convince many atheists, agnostics & unbelievers.

But I'd love to see him in charge of a concentration camp for Muslim terrorists!

FL
godslanguage

Re: Whats wrong with atheism?

Post by godslanguage »

Sure, atheistic sites will counter it, but that does'nt make they're counters right either, as an "individual", an atheist will claim none of it is true or will use one obvious irrational arguement to counter it. Take this for example: An atheist feels that killing babies (abortion) is right because if someone is raped, then they have the right to it. So one person has the right to rape someone and the other has the right to abortion? How is that rational?
Last edited by godslanguage on Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
FFC

Post by FFC »

I'm not sure who this sermon is for or what it is supposed to accomplish except incite atheists and give them even more ammunition against harsh and narrow minded Christians.

They obviously don't care about any of the things he ranted about. aren't we supposed to preach the truth in love? It boggles my mind how a Christian can think a sermon like this can do much...but then again "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" by Jonathan Edwards saw many get saved...even though in my opinion Edwards was a raving lunatic. :roll:
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:WoW!

Robert T. Lee certainly can't be called mealymouthed! That said, I don't think his approach will convince many atheists, agnostics & unbelievers.

But I'd love to see him in charge of a concentration camp for Muslim terrorists!

FL
Yikes!

Noone deserves this kind of treatment.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by puritan lad »

FFC wrote:I'm not sure who this sermon is for or what it is supposed to accomplish except incite atheists and give them even more ammunition against harsh and narrow minded Christians.

They obviously don't care about any of the things he ranted about. aren't we supposed to preach the truth in love? It boggles my mind how a Christian can think a sermon like this can do much...but then again "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" by Jonathan Edwards saw many get saved...even though in my opinion Edwards was a raving lunatic. :roll:
Edwards a raving lunatic? If so, we could use more raving lunatics. Perhaps we may even have another Great Awakening. (And I don't think Lee is a Jonathan Edwards to be sure...)

"Knowing, therefore, the terror of the Lord, we persuade men..." (2 Corinthians 5:11)
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/
FFC

Post by FFC »

Edwards a raving lunatic? If so, we could use more raving lunatics. Perhaps we may even have another Great Awakening. (And I don't think Lee is a Jonathan Edwards to be sure...)

"Knowing, therefore, the terror of the Lord, we persuade men..." (2 Corinthians 5:11)
PL, it's one thing to point out that sinners go to hell if they don't believe the gospel, but is another to harp on how much God hates us and go on about how He would love to throw us into hell "like someone holding a spider over a fire". Do you remember that in Edwards sermon? What good does that do to those who are not "predestinated to be saved"? If it is a tool for the elect than how irresistible is the grace of God that He needs someone to scare the hell out of them?
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by puritan lad »

First, Edwards preached the truth, the judgment of God which no one wants to address today. Even Christians feel they need to apologize for God's wrath, which is extremely sad.

Second, as far as what good it would do, the proof is in the pudding. Revival. There hasn't been a true revival on this planet since.

Third, Edwards spoke fluent English, Hebrew, and Greek by age 13, and was graduated from Yale at the age of 16. Not too shabby for a raving lunatic.
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

puritan lad wrote:First, Edwards preached the truth, the judgment of God which no one wants to address today. Even Christians feel they need to apologize for God's wrath, which is extremely sad.

Second, as far as what good it would do, the proof is in the pudding. Revival. There hasn't been a true revival on this planet since.

Third, Edwards spoke fluent English, Hebrew, and Greek by age 13, and was graduated from Yale at the age of 16. Not too shabby for a raving lunatic.
I have nothing but respect for Edwards. It's a a stretch to claim no revival has taken place since Edwards however. I was part of the Canadian Revival in the 70's, which in turn spilled over and led to what many call the Asbury revival and can attest to witnessing in part what revival means and how it affects and spills beyond the Church to affect and engage the culture.

That takes nothing away from Edwards. Hyperbole doesn't necessarily help in making the point however.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by puritan lad »

I guess it depends on how one defines a revival. True Revival has national and even worldwide cultural implications. The First Great Awakening certainly certainly fit that mold. I'm not sure other "revivals" since then can.

FFC

Post by FFC »

puritan lad wrote:First, Edwards preached the truth, the judgment of God which no one wants to address today. Even Christians feel they need to apologize for God's wrath, which is extremely sad.
the truth is more than telling a person he is going to hell. The truth is also conveying the love of God and His mercy. God is Holy but that does not equal wrath or lack of love and compassion. That's the major problem I have with Calvinists. I don't apologize for God in any way because From what I read in the bible He is not who you portray.
puritan lad wrote:Second, as far as what good it would do, the proof is in the pudding. Revival. There hasn't been a true revival on this planet since.
If it's a revival of people being afraid of God as opposed to bringing people into a loving relationship with a God who is to be awsomely respected for all that He is than we're better off.
puritan lad wrote:Third, Edwards spoke fluent English, Hebrew, and Greek by age 13, and was graduated from Yale at the age of 16. Not too shabby for a raving lunatic.
Since when does intelligence equal truth? From what I have read Hitler was a pretty intelligent guy too.
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by puritan lad »

Let's just say you pointed out a big reason why we do not have revival today. There is no fear of God.

I'll leave it at that.

ryo dokomi
Established Member

Post by ryo dokomi »

puritan lad wrote:Let's just say you pointed out a big reason why we do not have revival today. There is no fear of God.

I'll leave it at that.
ill agree that we need to fear God in what he can and will eventually have take place. but what i dont see as truth is fearing him only. if you have a man that comes into your home, and threatens to kill you a horibble, gruesome, painful death, you are going to fear him. but, will you turn around and look into his eyes, and in your heart, love him for what he is...i think not. thats what i see. i feel that Fearing God is a big point, but also, remember that fear is not of God...

God is Love
Love casts out all Fear

God casts out all fear.

2 Tim. 1:7 "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and LOVE and of a sound mind."

When i see it written to fear God, i see that we are to fear Him for what will happen if we do not beleive and trust in him.
Therefore, submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. James 4:7

it is all about submitting before God, then, and only then, will we have the promise given in Luke 10:19