OK to pass 2nd hand goods?

Discussions on ecclesiology such as the nature, constitution and functions of the church.
The edge
Established Member
Christian: No

OK to pass 2nd hand goods?

Post by The edge »

Is it OK to contribute workable stuff to the church (if there's a need) when one has upgraded to the latest.
While ideally, we know we should get the best for God 1st, yet practically, if we make this an expectation among the people, the church may deprive itself of some functionally useful items.

I'm not talking about treating the church as a dumping ground for unwanted items, but that the church get's 1st priority (instead of friends & relatives) for an existing item that have been replaced by the latest model.

Yet, there's this passage I believe in Malachi where God chided the people for disrespect when they offer blemish lamb to Him. Does this passage only apply to the "obligatory offering", or does it emcompass all our givings (giving our best)?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

In malichi they were still under the law...what your proposing is not a sacrifice but a gift...they would be pleased with it and i personally cannot see it offending.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

I think there is an extra mile that could be taken in just about everything. For example, why are you just thinking of giving the newer item? Couldn't you afford to dedicate several of the same item? Do you have a house? Why don't you give it a Church or sell it and give the money to the poor. What you still have money, why don't you give it all to the poor? What you've got a life to live, you should be dedicating it all to helping others and serving God.

It can really get quite extreme, and don't get me wrong, one should be willing to sacrifice everything including I believe their life for God. But I think there is a "big" difference between God wanting us to give up everything He's graciously given and blessed us with in our life (e.g., material wealth, family, etc)... compared with whether we would be willing to give it all up for God. The later is the important facter, the former I simply don't believe is true.

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: OK to pass 2nd hand goods?

Post by BavarianWheels »

The edge wrote:Yet, there's this passage I believe in Malachi where God chided the people for disrespect when they offer blemish lamb to Him. Does this passage only apply to the "obligatory offering", or does it emcompass all our givings (giving our best)?
First of all, this passage and the lamb is teaching a different message than what you might be pulling from it. An unblemished lamb is in reference to Christ and represents his perfect death required for sin. I don't think it has anything to do with the condition of a used piano vs. a new piano donated to the church. (Piano only as an example.)

It is my opinion God asks for nothing from his people other than love and honor. He asks for no material things, but does "require" a tithe...something we are asked to test him on and is for our benefit.

Whatever you give to the church, the church should only accept if they can use it (or possibly sell off at a church "garage sale.")