harry potter

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
User avatar
lissy
Acquainted Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:39 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

harry potter

#1

Post by lissy » Fri May 12, 2006 5:36 pm

first, i want to say, i'm NOT posting this as a discussion on who is and isn't against harry potter, so, harry potter fans, please do NOT waste space and post your opinions here, make your own topic. i just want my own questions answered, only from the perspective of people who do not believe in it to help answer my confusion. on that note, i am a strong christian, but this is the only issue i have, so please, refraining bible-shoving down my throat would be appreciated... :)

i admit, i have been a harry potter fan for some time, but have been thinking about it lately, though. the problem is, where, if harry is bad, do you draw the line? what about disney? i don't know of anyone who does not like harry potter but is also against disney. what about lord of the rings and anything else that has and wizards, sorcery, magic and such in it? the thing that hold me back from giving it up is how far do i have to go to be consistent? am i contradicting myself if i give up harry potter but say lord of the rings and disney movies are ok? your thoughts please. we are so bombarded with magic and sorcery everywhere today, most think it's harmless. where exactly should i stand? accept disney but not other things? have a bonfire with aladin, beauty and the beast and cinderella?

ray
Recognized Member
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:30 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

harry potter

#2

Post by ray » Fri May 12, 2006 6:42 pm

I have always had reservations about any movie or book that involves wizards and magic. My own feeling is you must consider how God plays into the mix. If God is devoid of the story then I would say it is wrong, and yes, this includes many Disney movies. If God is present and in a positive light then I would consider it as alright. But, as always, each must be looked at individually. I know in Narnia, God is not mentioned, but the underlying message is there. I really think this is something that each person must come to a decision on by themselves. Being told you can't watch it without really understanding why will not be profitable.

Ray

User avatar
Seeker of Knowledge
Newbie Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:52 pm
Christian: No
Location: Oslo, Norway
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#3

Post by Seeker of Knowledge » Sat May 13, 2006 3:01 pm

Why not watch Harry Potter? Ok, it got sorcery, which is a sin, but murder is also a sin. Should we stop watching action movies and mystery? It is a difference between watching a movie where a sin is committed and doing the sin yourself.

User avatar
Canuckster1127
Old School
Posts: 5308
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:31 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Tulsa, OK
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: harry potter

#4

Post by Canuckster1127 » Sat May 13, 2006 5:00 pm

lissy wrote:first, i want to say, i'm NOT posting this as a discussion on who is and isn't against harry potter, so, harry potter fans, please do NOT waste space and post your opinions here, make your own topic. i just want my own questions answered, only from the perspective of people who do not believe in it to help answer my confusion. on that note, i am a strong christian, but this is the only issue i have, so please, refraining bible-shoving down my throat would be appreciated... :)

i admit, i have been a harry potter fan for some time, but have been thinking about it lately, though. the problem is, where, if harry is bad, do you draw the line? what about disney? i don't know of anyone who does not like harry potter but is also against disney. what about lord of the rings and anything else that has and wizards, sorcery, magic and such in it? the thing that hold me back from giving it up is how far do i have to go to be consistent? am i contradicting myself if i give up harry potter but say lord of the rings and disney movies are ok? your thoughts please. we are so bombarded with magic and sorcery everywhere today, most think it's harmless. where exactly should i stand? accept disney but not other things? have a bonfire with aladin, beauty and the beast and cinderella?
I consider myself to be a strong bible believer.

I see no reason why Christians cannot enjoy literature with fantasy themes in them. Like anything else, it's a matter of perspective and balance.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender

//bartsbarometer.com/

ray
Recognized Member
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:30 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#5

Post by ray » Sat May 13, 2006 5:31 pm

Seeker of Knowledge wrote:Why not watch Harry Potter? Ok, it got sorcery, which is a sin, but murder is also a sin. Should we stop watching action movies and mystery? It is a difference between watching a movie where a sin is committed and doing the sin yourself.
It again goes to how is it portrayed. If the murder is shown to be wrong then I would have no problem watching the movie. If murder and blood are glorified then I would say it should not be watched. The same reasoning could be applied to any topic.

Ray

FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Posts: 1684
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:11 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#6

Post by FFC » Sun May 14, 2006 4:54 pm

Harry Potter is a fun work of fiction. If it starts affecting your relationship with Jesus in a harmful way then stop watching it, otherwise enjoy yourself.

User avatar
lissy
Acquainted Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:39 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#7

Post by lissy » Mon May 15, 2006 11:50 am

did i not say no harry potter fans here? but i thank those of you who have given your advice, i hope to see even more respsonses, and i will think about what you have said, i might have some more questions later...

User avatar
lissy
Acquainted Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:39 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#8

Post by lissy » Mon May 15, 2006 11:51 am

like i had said, if you want to support harry, you are wasting space here because that does not help me at all, i'm a little frustrated with those of you who don't listen...

ray
Recognized Member
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:30 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#9

Post by ray » Mon May 15, 2006 12:32 pm

lissy wrote:like i had said, if you want to support harry, you are wasting space here because that does not help me at all, i'm a little frustrated with those of you who don't listen...
I think all responses were quite objective. No one posted that they were a Harry Potter fan. I think you have some deep feelings about Harry Potter books that you are avoiding.

Ray

User avatar
Byblos
Old School
Posts: 5928
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:21 pm
Christian: Yes
Location: NY
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 139 times

#10

Post by Byblos » Mon May 15, 2006 1:18 pm

lissy wrote:like i had said, if you want to support harry, you are wasting space here because that does not help me at all, i'm a little frustrated with those of you who don't listen...


Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Narnia, and countless other stories like them, no matter how they are portrayed, the ultimate message is one of triumph of good over evil. That's always a good thing. Just enjoy the storylines as I do (I love them all and have no problem letting my children read the books or watch the movie); just keep in mind that they are stories of fiction written by mere men and women.

God Bless,

Byblos.

User avatar
lissy
Acquainted Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:39 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#11

Post by lissy » Mon May 15, 2006 2:04 pm

sorry, i felt like some answers were saying it's not a big deal, but that is still just not what i asked for. even though i said no potter fans, i didn't want poeple saying its just ok,that does not help me. what do you mean by what you said, ray? i'm avoiding what?

FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Posts: 1684
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:11 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#12

Post by FFC » Mon May 15, 2006 2:25 pm

sorry, i felt like some answers were saying it's not a big deal, but that is still just not what i asked for. even though i said no potter fans, i didn't want poeple saying its just ok,that does not help me. what do you mean by what you said, ray? i'm avoiding what?
I really could care less about Harry Potter, but I have watched a couple of the movies and I didn't feel convicted or anything. However, If God doesn't want you to watch them then He will use the Holy spirit to convict you. Sometimes what is right for one is wrong for another. I don't know your heart.

Does this verse help?

Romans 14:23
And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin

User avatar
bluesman
Established Member
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:50 am
Christian: No
Location: Canada
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Witches

#13

Post by bluesman » Mon May 15, 2006 9:06 pm

I don't believe any of the books or movies mentioned are of any problem or concern. Bible-thumping preaching against this will cause thousands to be driven away from the church and God.

Take a look at the past, when countless women and men were burned to death because they were accused of being witches. We certainly don't need a repeat of that. They use to think rock and roll and blues was of the devil.
Also that dancing was evil. Get real people none of this is whats evil.
As far as these books its still a good story of Good winning over evil.

What you need to refrain from is movies that use the Lords name in vain
countless times, that are full of sexual immorality, movies that have content not suitable for the audience age they are suppose to be targeting.

Disney happens to make good wholesome movies, but Dreamworks I have serious problems with (eg Shrek II).

As far as witchcraft, watching a movie, reading book , is far from actually being involved in Wicca. There much more harmful stuff to kids out there to worry about. In fact books such as Harry Potter could actually help lead kids to God and not into some Satan worship like some extremists think.

Michael
Bluesman

User avatar
lissy
Acquainted Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:39 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#14

Post by lissy » Tue May 16, 2006 7:28 am

bluesman, i see your point, sort of, but the bible says nothing about those things being wrong, dancing (i love swing!) and such, and i agree, but it does say a lot about witchcraft... why do people think if it is wrong in real life, which the bible clearly states, then why if it is labled fantasy, it's ok? are watching things that glorify sex and violence ok too if they are labled "just fantasy"? is GOD realy ok with that? why would he say it's very wrong in real life, but if you make believe it, it's ok when the contex is not right? why do we agree that sex before marriage is wrong, and watching movies with sex in them is wrong too, and then say witchcraft is wrong, but harry potter, which involves witchcraft, is ok?

User avatar
Canuckster1127
Old School
Posts: 5308
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:31 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Tulsa, OK
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

#15

Post by Canuckster1127 » Tue May 16, 2006 8:01 am

lissy wrote:bluesman, i see your point, sort of, but the bible says nothing about those things being wrong, dancing (i love swing!) and such, and i agree, but it does say a lot about witchcraft... why do people think if it is wrong in real life, which the bible clearly states, then why if it is labled fantasy, it's ok? are watching things that glorify sex and violence ok too if they are labled "just fantasy"? is GOD realy ok with that? why would he say it's very wrong in real life, but if you make believe it, it's ok when the contex is not right? why do we agree that sex before marriage is wrong, and watching movies with sex in them is wrong too, and then say witchcraft is wrong, but harry potter, which involves witchcraft, is ok?
I think you have to distinguish between fantasy and reality.

You ought to do a word study or topical study on witchcraft throughout the Bible. It's an interesting and enlightening use of time. The most commonly translated word for witchcraft actually has its roots in the Greek word that gives rise to the english word "pharmacy." The idea based in the culture of the time tied into practices within idolatry of using mind altering substances to reach different states of "enlightenment" or for the dropping of inhibitions which led to sexual excesses, to name just two.

Our idea of witchcraft is a little different and finds its roots in celtic and druidic type practices.

Regardless of that distinction, I think the question you are asking is good and valid. Where do we draw the line?

I think many times, Scripture is not always clear on that and the reason is, particulary in the New Testement, that the dynamic God wants his people to operate by, is not legalism but rather a close walk with Christ where the Holy Spirit is guiding our choices from a primary motivation of wanting to please God and from a heart motivated to do what is right because we love God.

I'll admit, having a cut and dried set of rules does make the answers easier, but then it also provided us with the temptation to just follow the rules without embracing the Spirit's role in our lives to be sensitive to His leading and guiding. Jesus had some things to say about that condition to the Pharisees, if you'll remember.

That means that there are times when equally sincere and committed Christians may have differing opinions as to what is appropriate for a Christian and even strong opinions that something maybe sin.

When there is no clear Scriptural prohibition on something (adultary for instance is not open for discussion) and there is no underlying Scriptural prinicipal or premise involved, then I think God gives us the freedom to pray, seek guidance from Him and then follow the course that our conscience dictates.

Keep in mind too, that just because something may be allowable, doesn't mean it is advisable or beneficial. Alchohol is an example of this. Clearly, Scripture does not ban the use of alcohol. Many Christians chose not to partake even though they may see it as permissable because they see no need and no benefit. Some even may have been alcholics or come from families where they were exposed to alcholism and so they are very passionate about the evils of abuse of alcohol almost to (and for some beyond) to where they absolutely abstain and think everyone else should as well. The challenge for them is to follow their own conscience and allow others to follow theirs.

If someone has a background in Witchcraft or feels very strongly that even the hint of it in fantasy literature is wrong to feed on, then clearly that person should follow the dictates of their conscience and to violate that becomes in effect doing that which is wrong and for them it is sin.

There was a time when I felt very strongly about issues like this and frankly I would have been launching into this topic with full righteous indignation that anyone who thought otherwise was clealy violating God's Word. I've since mellowed. I'd like to think that mellowing is a result of age, study and wisdom and not just compromise. Others may feel differently.

Does that help?
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender

//bartsbarometer.com/

Post Reply