Gospel Books

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Iggy
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Gospel Books

Post by Iggy »

i'm reading the 4 gospel books, (matt, mark luke, john) im on luke rite now and something is bothering me as i read. Luke 3: 23-38 (NIV)(talking about the bloodline of joseph)

23* Now Jesus was about 30 when he started his ministry. He was the son, so it was thought of joseph, the son of Heli, the son of matthat (on and on til verse 38.) ... 38*the son of Enosh, the son of Seth, the son of adam, the son of God. If seth is kinda the man since kane and able screwed up, why isnt there much about him? how long did these people live back then?! 75 Generations after adam jesus came along, yet they're brothers (both God's sons)?

1- Jesus isnt in the bloodline of Joseph since he was born of the virgin mary.

2- i thought john 3:16 stated that jesus was God's only son.

3- Luke Ch2 seems to be all up in Jesus' childhood, which i thought no one really knew about since in Mathew or Mark, it said that his family fled to egypt and wasnt to return until he was called to do so.
ray
Recognized Member

lineage

Post by ray »

Jesus was the son of Joseph in a family sense. In His earthly family, Joseph was His father. Adam was the son of God in the sense that God created him.

Ray
Iggy
Recognized Member

Post by Iggy »

what about #3? his childhood?
ryo dokomi
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by ryo dokomi »

Luke chapter 2 talks about him before he fled. they fled to egypt after the wise men came, and they came after most of chapter 2 of Luke.
Therefore, submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. James 4:7

it is all about submitting before God, then, and only then, will we have the promise given in Luke 10:19
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by kateliz »

1. Jesus was a legal descendant of Joseph. That's how He was still heir to the throne of David and all that, I believe. I've heard it said that part of His not having an earthly father was to break His blood connection with Adam, through whom comes the human sinful nature. He didn't have a sinful nature, He had a divine nature. He also is the new Adam, and not to be connected with the old.

2. Notice how they used a lower case "s". We are called "gods" a few times in the Bible, but the lower case "g" again shows how it's not to mean something divine. The creation of God, yes, but not an incarnation. Aren't Christians sons and daughters of God???

3. Too lazy to look it up!!! :oops:
Iggy
Recognized Member

Post by Iggy »

kateliz wrote: 2. Notice how they used a lower case "s". We are called "gods" a few times in the Bible, but the lower case "g" again shows how it's not to mean something divine. The creation of God, yes, but not an incarnation. Aren't Christians sons and daughters of God???
i used the lowercase "'s" to show ownership that jesus is Gods son. not to show multipul gods...
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by kateliz »

:lol: I didn't mean "s" as in "gods", but as in "son".
bluesman
Established Member

Umm nobody knew??

Post by bluesman »

3- Luke Ch2 seems to be all up in Jesus' childhood, which i thought no one really knew about since in Mathew or Mark, it said that his family fled to egypt and wasnt to return until he was called to do so.

Okay, you can't say nobody knew of Jesus's childhood. What about his Mother Mary ?

Read Luke 2:51

"but his mother kept all these sayings in her heart"
KJV

"and his mother treasured all these things in her heart"
NASB

"and his mother kept and closely and persistently guarded all these things in her heart"
Amplified

Now read John 19:26-27

Where Jesus says her mother is your son , one of his disciples and here to the disciple is your Mother.

The disciple takes her into his own home.

Who was that disciple ?

I have to believe most of disciples became close to Mary and that she must have told at least some of his childhood to them.

Michael
Bluesman
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by kateliz »

:lol: Good points!
Iggy
Recognized Member

Post by Iggy »

mary doesnt have a book...

the prophesy says he'd go to egypy and not return until called to do so, yet in luke it says he returned every year...?
bluesman
Established Member

Mary doesn't have a book

Post by bluesman »

Its true Mary mother of Jesus doesn't have a book.

Now after the crucifiction Mary the mother of Jesus moves in with the disciple
John. Some say that Jesus and John were cousins and that it would be like Aunt Mary moving in with John.

or Jesus knowing the future knew that John was the one disciple to live and not be killed therefore a safer place for Mary?

If you had the Motherof Jesus with you would you not ask her about him?
I realize that we were talking about the Gospel Of Luke and not Gospel of John. Why John didn't write about what Mary would have told him I don't know.

Michael
Bluesman
Iggy
Recognized Member

Re: Mary doesn't have a book

Post by Iggy »

bluesman wrote: Now after the crucifiction Mary the mother of Jesus moves in with the disciple
John. Some say that Jesus and John were cousins and that it would be like Aunt Mary moving in with John.
or Jesus knowing the future knew that John was the one disciple to live and not be killed therefore a safer place for Mary?
Some people say alot of things, doesnt make it true.
If you had the Motherof Jesus with you would you not ask her about him?Michael
Bluesman
we're not talkin about me...
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by FFC »

If you had the Mother of Jesus with you would you not ask her about him?
He probably did but God decided to tell the story His way. :wink:
Iggy
Recognized Member

Post by Iggy »

a way that confuses everyone!!! half the stuff doesnt make sense! or you have to guess at what it means, or argue with others at what something means!
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Iggy wrote:
a way that confuses everyone!!! half the stuff doesnt make sense! or you have to guess at what it means, or argue with others at what something means!
There is always room for discussion and wrestling with what things mean and why God did something the way He did over another way.

I don't believe however that half the stuff doesn't make sense. I think it is remarkably coherant and ties together well.

What specifically are you finding frustrating in this regard?
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender