what are we waiting for?

Discussions on Christian eschatology including different views pertaining to Jesus' second coming, rapture and tribulation, the millennium, and so forth.
Iggy
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

what are we waiting for?

Post by Iggy »

If jesus returned in 70AD (which makes sence) what are we doing here now? what are we waiting for. there's nothing saying that he's coming back AGAIN! why would he? he did what he said he'd do, so there's no reason to think anything else will happen. im thinking heaven and hell are closed for business!
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: what are we waiting for?

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Iggy wrote:If jesus returned in 70AD (which makes sence) what are we doing here now? what are we waiting for. there's nothing saying that he's coming back AGAIN! why would he? he did what he said he'd do, so there's no reason to think anything else will happen. im thinking heaven and hell are closed for business!
While I understand the sentiment, your conclusion is way overstated.

I'm not a preterist although I am reconsidering as I do some personal study through Revelation to hone my understanding.

Preterism still allows for a return of Christ and still believes. It is most often tied into a Post-Mellenial view which sees Christ's Return as the culmination of a golden age ushered in through the Church.

There is much to question and work through in just the realms you mention.

Making the assertion that the return of Christ is not an important element or a part of that view is a gross overstatment however.

My concern is more how can you see that return as imminent.
Iggy
Recognized Member

Post by Iggy »

im just sayin, i didnt say it wasnt important... im sayin he already did what he said he was going to do. so... why are any of us still here. everything the bible said would happen, happened. i dont know of any 2nd return... never herd of it. so im like this... how do i know what to believe if everything goes against everything else?
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Iggy wrote:im just sayin, i didnt say it wasnt important... im sayin he already did what he said he was going to do. so... why are any of us still here. everything the bible said would happen, happened. i dont know of any 2nd return... never herd of it. so im like this... how do i know what to believe if everything goes against everything else?
Where do you find evidence of Christ having returned in 70 AD or whom do you beleive is asserting that?
Iggy
Recognized Member

Post by Iggy »

although not the best way to get info, i get most of this contridiction of the internet. i look for bible studies and such, thats how i found this forum. but even on here people talk about it in the "end-times" board. i've read things online such as jesus surviving the crucifixion and moving to india and china and living to pass 100 yrs of age, jesus already returned, jesus is currently on earth now in russia, jesus never existed (dont believe that), jesus was married with children... the list goes on. most of the time i can weed out the crap. but some things make sence... ie. return of jesus in 70AD. he said some people would not see death before he came back. so if he died in the 30's AD, add 40yrs, people would still be there. add 1,950 yrs, and they r all dead. so, im just sayin it's make sence
Last edited by Iggy on Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Iggy wrote:although not the best way to get info, i get most of this contridiction of the internet. i look for bible studies and such, thats how i found this forum. but even on here people talk about it in the "end-times" board. i've read things such as jesus surviving the crucifixion and moving to india and china and living to pass 100 yrs of age, jesus already returned, jesus is currently on earth now in russia, jesus never existed (dont believe that), jesus was married with children... the list goes on. most of the time i can weed out the [poop]. but some things make sence... ie. return of jesus in 70AD. he said some people would not see death before he came back. so if he died in the 30's AD, add 40yrs, people would still be there. add 1950 yrs, and they r all dead. so...
Well, there is no shortage of claims out there. Just because there is a claim, doesn't mean it is true or even worthy of addressing.

We have some preterists on this board. I'll let them address how they handle the return of Christ. As I said, I am not a preterist and it as there are several here who can no doubt capably handle this issue, I will leave it to them.

I'm quite sure they do not believe that Christ returned in 70 AD and further I am sure that they still believe in a bodily second coming yet to happen.
SUGAAAAA
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by SUGAAAAA »

it is only full, or hyper preterism that believes that Christ returned in 70ad. They believe we are currently in our "spiritual" resurrected forms, and that all of Revelation has been fulfilled. So I guess they arent "Waiting" for anything.

Partial preterism holds that the Second Coming, The Resurrection, and the Final Judgement have yet to occur. This is what we can wait for. check out this article regarding the errors of hyper preterism:

http://reformed.org/eschaton/gentry_preterism.html
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
bluesman
Established Member

Israel a nation

Post by bluesman »

This preterism view, I believe, is the minority view point , although I believe its being around a long time.

As far as "this generation not passing away" you have to read it in context of the whole chapter and the entire bible even.
There is like this parable of the fig tree. What does that all mean?

So what generation is Jesus talking about. A common view now days is that
the generation has to do with Israel becoming a nation and then Jerusalem
being in its borders , therefore 1967.

You have to also realize that there is a lot happening right now concerning the rebuilding of the temple, at least this is what I hear.

I could address the other misinformation you spoke of, but you seem not to accept it anyways.

Jesus married to Mary Magdalene with children?! What a bunch of bull!

Mike
Bluesman
Iggy
Recognized Member

Re: Israel a nation

Post by Iggy »

bluesman wrote:
I could address the other misinformation you spoke of, but you seem not to accept it anyways.

Mike
Bluesman
just cuz i ask alot of questions, or argue with alot of things, im just tryin to see how solid info is... im learning like alot of people. so when i seem not to accept anything, maybe i just dont understand...
Canuckster1127
Old School

Re: Israel a nation

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Iggy wrote:
bluesman wrote:

Mike
Bluesman
just cuz i ask alot of questions, or argue with alot of things, im just tryin to see how solid info is... im learning like alot of people. so when i seem not to accept anything, maybe i just dont understand...
Nothing wrong with asking questions Iggy. Glad you're here and keep on asking questions.
bluesman
Established Member

What I meant

Post by bluesman »

Iggy wrote:
bluesman wrote:

Mike
Bluesman

What I was trying to say was we could address the other information you have been reading on the internet, but if you didn' t agree with what you read on these other websites then we don't need to discuss it.

Like the Jesus being married, I think that you don't accept that anyways.
However, if your not sure about it we can talk about it .

I am learning a lot all the time too. When you think you have nothing to learn thats when you have the most to learn.

Mike
Bluesman
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Iggy,

Like Sug said, there is a difference in partial and full preterism. You'd fall into the latter camp.

Where do you see the Great White Throne Judgment as having happened?

As for me, I'm a futurist, with the caveat that there has been a lot of typological fulfillment.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Iggy
Recognized Member

Post by Iggy »

it's not that i fall into any camp, im not accepting that he came back in 70AD. im just sayin it makes sence, which isnt good. 90% of my life, the things that make sence, arent true. and if something sounds totally out there... then it's true...

i dont like to label myself anything, baptist, methodist, pecocostal, LDS... i just want the truth.
led
Recognized Member

Post by led »

Iggy wrote:
i dont like to label myself anything, baptist, methodist, pecocostal, LDS... i just want the truth.
I'm gunna label you as a Christian. :D
"To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.” //klinkenberg.tripod.com/lifeinkorea
Iggy
Recognized Member

Post by Iggy »

now why do you wanna do that. i dont call myself anything but a person looking for the truth about God and Jesus. i dont want "what might have beens" or "what someone else believes" or "the way i interpreted it" i want the truth